2023 1st round pick is #6 Paris Johnson

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Tempering nonsence aside (yes, easier said than done).... I like the moves made last night.

With Levis on the board I wonder if someone will try and leapfrog the Lions to select him?

If we stay put, I'd like to see us targetting Joey Porter Jr. (I think the Steelers take him though) or Tipperman/Schmitz. I'm not sure we'll double down on OL when there are so many glaring needs. Perhaps White or Ojulari.
Dang you nailed this one

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Not going to lie I thought they were going to trade up for Tyree WIlson and I had my head in my hands. Paris was a huge relief. Happy with the pick and the extra picks we got.

The tampering thing was a huge bummer.
Loved the first day hate the tampering screw up.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Play at LG this year while practicing at LG and RT. Move to RT next year and back to LT when Hump is done.
Thats a great idea. Let's change his position every year so we stunt his growth and then wonder why he sucks. We drafted a player at #6 who we don't have a position for. The only opening on the OL are LG and OC and he has never played those positions.

Last edited:

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
He's played RG and LT. You don't think he can play LG?
Maybe he can or maybe he can't, but I would rather he play at his best position and learn how to play that position. I am tired of drafting players and then playing out of position. Look at Jones, he sucked at RG but looked good at LT. All most rookies need some time to develop. Changing positions makes it that more difficult to be a quality starter.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Haven’t read through this thread but here’s my take on Paris.

He would’ve been a terrible pick at 3 over Anderson. If you’re drafting a LT top 3 you better be getting Orlando Pace, Joe Thomas, or Walter Jones.

I think he’s the best OL in the draft but he’s not in those guys class.

It’s funny, I think the guy he reminds most of is DJ Humphries. DJ was very athletic and a very good prospect. He was just very immature. That’s why he got the knee deep moniker from Arians.
Paris is much more serious and NFL ready, but I think they are similar players/talent.

The Cards are going to have a 10 year LT and that’s awesome but I don’t he’s going to be a game changer.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get the DJ Humphries comp and haven't seen anyone in the NFL world make it.

DJ had a RAS of 7.74. Paris has a RAS of 9.83.

He's taller, heavier, faster, stronger, more explosive and more agile. His arms are 3" longer than Humps. His footwork is far better. He's more violent, I've never seen Hump drive a man into the ground like Paris does on run blocks. Certainly not with regularity.

He's more mature. More intelligent. His football IQ is far higher at the same stage.

Apart from being a tall, black LT I don't see the similarity.

The guy he reminds me of most in size, athleticism and play style is D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Brick

312lbs
34.24" arm
5.08 40 time
30 vertical
811 broad
4.85 short shuttle

Paris

313lbs
36.12" arm
32.5" vertical
902 Broad
4.53 short shuttle

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I like Paris Johnson Jr but would’ve preferred Skoronski/#34 over him. Not sure he would’ve been available though.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cbus , Tell me what you think a ten year LT can do/needs to do, to be a “game changer “? Maybe my idea of a game changer is vastly different than yours?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't get the DJ Humphries comp and haven't seen anyone in the NFL world make it.

DJ had a RAS of 7.74. Paris has a RAS of 9.83.

He's taller, heavier, faster, stronger, more explosive and more agile. His arms are 3" longer than Humps. His footwork is far better. He's more violent, I've never seen Hump drive a man into the ground like Paris does on run blocks. Certainly not with regularity.

He's more mature. More intelligent. His football IQ is far higher at the same stage.

Apart from being a tall, black LT I don't see the similarity.

The guy he reminds me of most in size, athleticism and play style is D'Brickashaw Ferguson.
He looks like Walter Jones. That's who he reminds me of.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I like Paris Johnson Jr but would’ve preferred Skoronski/#34 over him. Not sure he would’ve been available though.
You don't take the lesser athlete. And besides, Skoronski is likely gone there. Rumor is the Raiders would've taken Paris Johnson.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I drink the Kool-Aid but the Paris pick is losing some steam for me.
If we drafted him as a LT - Ok, but we already have DJ.
RT - Ok, maybe a solid pick. Haven't seen him there.
G - would rather have had Skorinski.

Here is Paris playing exclusively at RG vs Utah State (Rose Bowl).

Tell me what you think.

Paris Johnson at RG

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’m still waiting to hear how good Paris is. Who are his comps? Coming out of college how does he rate against someone of the highest drafted tackles through history? He’s not considered near Thomas or Ogden level. Where would he rate in the becton/Thomas/wills/wirf crew? I’m having a difficult time assessing his talent. Like his attitude and personality. But just difficulty figuring out his talent level.
Depending on where you are getting it from, Andrew Thomas, Russell Okung, and i had DJ Humphries.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If that’s true I’m disappointed. Hump’s career is what you hope for as a late first round selection but he’s never been considered a top left tackle in the league. I would expect more from the 6th pick in the draft.
The biggest difference between the two is that Paris plays a lot smarter and is more mature than DJ was when he came out. I think a DJ who isn't maturing his first couple years and comes without the mental mistakes is a pretty decent player. We will see about the rest. Jeremiah's comp of Andrew Thomas should make you happy.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I drink the Kool-Aid but the Paris pick is losing some steam for me.
If we drafted him as a LT - Ok, but we already have DJ.
RT - Ok, maybe a solid pick. Haven't seen him there.
G - would rather have had Skorinski.

Here is Paris playing exclusively at RG vs Utah State (Rose Bowl).

Tell me what you think.

Paris Johnson at RG
I wouldn't get too hung up on where Paris plays this year.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Cbus , Tell me what you think a ten year LT can do/needs to do, to be a “game changer “? Maybe my idea of a game changer is vastly different than yours?
Levi Brown played about 8-9 year as a LT. Was he a game changer?