Budda requests trade

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I tend to agreee. The problem is that we seem to be in the process of turning over a lot of talent and not replacing it with anything but draft picks and camp bodies.

Many of us have heard this tune played before in the Dave McGinnis years. Projecting 10 UDFAs to make your final roster before camp starts means your team is going to be very bad.
This is utter nonsense.

Even mentioning the McGinnis years where the Cardinals were trying to sell us on, "We just signed Tony McCoy! He was a starter for years with the Colts!" Not the same. I was excited back then about any player who even appeared to have a modicum of talent because the team so severely lacked talent. Even as flawed a player that Isaiah Simmons is, he would have probably been far and away the most talented player on that roster.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I mean, considering what we've already lost and that we've signed zero players that will likely be with us beyond this year, I think a 2024 playoff run is a pipe dream. Playoff push? Maybe, but I personally doubt it. We're really screwing the pooch right now.
This is really where Ossenfort will get to prove his chops. The easy part is done, he has a QB that can at least get you to the playoffs if the roster is good enough.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is utter nonsense.

Even mentioning the McGinnis years where the Cardinals were trying to sell us on, "We just signed Tony McCoy! He was a starter for years with the Colts!" Not the same. I was excited back then about any player who even appeared to have a modicum of talent because the team so severely lacked talent. Even as flawed a player that Isaiah Simmons is, he would have probably been far and away the most talented player on that roster.

Scratch the thin surface of a K-9 'hot take' and your finger is in dung.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is utter nonsense.

Meh. We’ll see. Rostering 10 UDFAs is probably an overstatement, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see that many or more come to camp. Would you be surprised if five UDFA rookies made the final 53? I’m not sure I would.

What McGinnis roster are you referencing? Man, the 2022 defensive personnel was pretty awful. Talent across the NFL is better today; guys are playing longer and college programs are more sophisticated. Still, no one on that defense had more than three sacks. :barf:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Meh. We’ll see. Rostering 10 UDFAs is probably an overstatement, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see that many or more come to camp. Would you be surprised if five UDFA rookies made the final 53? I’m not sure I would.
Teams routinely bring 10+ UDFAs to camp, even good teams. As bad as the Cardinals roster looks right now, which position group do you see a UDFA making the roster? RB? maybe. TE. maybe. LB? no. OL? no.
What McGinnis roster are you referencing? Man, the 2022 defensive personnel was pretty awful. Talent across the NFL is better today; guys are playing longer and college programs are more sophisticated. Still, no one on that defense had more than three sacks. :barf:
Heh all of them were bad. I remember hoping Raynoch Thompson became a beast. Or Levar Fisher. But I knew it was hope even at the time. Remember the Cardinals trying to sell how good Gilmore and Jason McAddley were going to be?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If QB investment is your best and only actual point, you may want to check out Kyler's contract.
The Bengals are about to make Tee Higgins a very rich man too. Ja'mar Chase going anywhere else soon.
Those cash strapped teams like the Bengals and Cardinals, geez, I don't know how they get by.

Obviously, there are owners with more money but that does not stop Bidwill from being able to field/pay a top notch roster because of it being his main source of income.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Teams routinely bring 10+ UDFAs to camp, even good teams. As bad as the Cardinals roster looks right now, which position group do you see a UDFA making the roster? RB? maybe. TE. maybe. LB? no. OL? no.
I’ll have to see evidence of this to believe it, TBH. Teams usually sign a bunch of UDFA, but rarely do they make it to camp.

I expect to see UDFAs at TE, RB, WR, S, CB, and OL, in camp, competing for jobs and playing time.

Probably QB also.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’ll have to see evidence of this to believe it, TBH. Teams usually sign a bunch of UDFA, but rarely do they make it to camp.

I expect to see UDFAs at TE, RB, WR, S, CB, and OL, in camp, competing for jobs and playing time.
TE. 2 Jobs are locked down...so a UDFA as a #3 isn't really an issue.
RB. Conner, Ingram, Clement, Williams....if a UDFA bumps a vet at the end of the roster...so what?
WR? That would be a bit shocking. The depth chart is pretty full.
S? Maybe as a 4th safety
CB? Wilson, Hamilton, Fenton, Boyd..I expect a draft pick but the fifth spot might be a UDFA
OL? Hump, Wilkinson, ?, Hernandez, Beachum, Jones, Daley, Froholdt, Howerton....Don't really see it either.
Probably QB also.
You think a UDFA bumps Driskel?

I think there really aren't a ton of spots for UDFAs, especially when you consider draft picks.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I think he wants to win as well. I think any player with literally ANY other option would rather not play for the Cards right now. We aren't even attempting to win. If this were soccer we would be on our way to the minor leagues.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
TE. 2 Jobs are locked down...so a UDFA as a #3 isn't really an issue.
RB. Conner, Ingram, Clement, Williams....if a UDFA bumps a vet at the end of the roster...so what?
WR? That would be a bit shocking. The depth chart is pretty full.
S? Maybe as a 4th safety
CB? Wilson, Hamilton, Fenton, Boyd..I expect a draft pick but the fifth spot might be a UDFA
OL? Hump, Wilkinson, ?, Hernandez, Beachum, Jones, Daley, Froholdt, Howerton....Don't really see it either.

You think a UDFA bumps Driskel?

I think there really aren't a ton of spots for UDFAs , especially when you consider draft picks.
I don’t think that any of those guys are so good that a UDFA couldn’t bump them off the roster.

Ingram? Really?
There’s a reason that Greg Dortch consistently struggled to make the active game day roster; this staff has nothing invested in him. Plus, I don’t don’t know how you feel like Barcelona, Tate, or Wims are sleeping well.
Don’t expect Ertz to be healthy or effective to start the season. The guys behind him are replacement level or worse.
Why pay Driskel when you could pay a UDFA half as much?
Fenton and Boyd are below replacement level players.
Everyone in the OL group after Hump, Beachum, and Hernandez are replaceable.

There are so many open 53-man roster spots available and we only have six draft picks. I won’t be surprised if we end up with eight picks and 12 UDFAs in camp.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Bengals are about to make Tee Higgins a very rich man too. Ja'mar Chase going anywhere else soon.
Those cash strapped teams like the Bengals and Cardinals, geez, I don't know how they get by.

Obviously, there are owners with more money but that does not stop Bidwill from being able to field/pay a top notch roster because of it being his main source of income.

FYI: the main difference between the CARDS and BENGALS, which you conveniently neglect, is successful Drafts.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think that any of those guys are so good that a UDFA couldn’t bump them off the roster.

Ingram? Really?
There’s a reason that Greg Dortch consistently struggled to make the active game day roster; this staff has nothing invested in him. Plus, I don’t don’t know how you feel like Barcelona, Tate, or Wims are sleeping well.
Don’t expect Ertz to be healthy or effective to start the season. The guys behind him are replacement level or worse.
Why pay Driskel when you could pay a UDFA half as much?
Fenton and Boyd are below replacement level players.
Everyone in the OL group after Hump, Beachum, and Hernandez are replaceable.

There are so many open 53-man roster spots available and we only have six draft picks. I won’t be surprised if we end up with eight picks and 12 UDFAs in camp.

So what... we're going to have 90 in total at camp.

Who makes the final 53 is the only issue, and no one can speak to that now.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Probably QB also.
And this statement.

There are 90 players in camp. 53 make the roster. For the past few years, Cardinals fans have routinely pointed out how much smaller the UDFA classes were.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
2 things:
1. I don't know why two posters here are harping on the "third choice GM" thing. Sure, there's the reports of Cunningham... but who else? Sounds like stretching the truth just to have reasons to be bitter.

2. A UDFA or three making the roster as a fringe guy isn't the nightmare you're making it out to be @kerouac9. But we have 8 picks, and will likely end up with more between trade backs, and the resolution of the DHop and Budda situations.

There's no reason to panic if our 6th CB is a UDFA, or we get a UDFA punter and he wins the job in camp. Don't get me wrong, I wish we added more in FA, but this isn't the McGinnis years of taking UDFAs and plugging them in as day one starters.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
2 things:
1. I don't know why two posters here are harping on the "third choice GM" thing. Sure, there's the reports of Cunningham... but who else? Sounds like stretching the truth just to have reasons to be bitter.

2. A UDFA or three making the roster as a fringe guy isn't the nightmare you're making it out to be @kerouac9. But we have 8 picks, and will likely end up with more between trade backs, and the resolution of the DHop and Budda situations.

There's no reason to panic if our 6th CB is a UDFA, or we get a UDFA punter and he wins the job in camp. Don't get me wrong, I wish we added more in FA, but this isn't the McGinnis years of taking UDFAs and plugging them in as day one starters.
Absolutely. It's a massive reach.

While the state of the OL is bad without an NFL quality center, Wilkinson and Daley have started at LG and been average players there. The Cardinals actually have players to fill pretty much every position right now, it's just that the roster lacks star power.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

While the state of the OL is bad without an NFL quality center, Wilkinson and Daley have started at LG and been average players there. The Cardinals actually have players to fill pretty much every position right now, it's just that the roster lacks star power.
Elijah Wilksin has started 17 games total over the past three seasons. Denis Daley embarrassed himself through 15 terrible starts last year. Pure hopium.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

...and impact starters. And good average players. We have a lot of below league average players, though, and rank garbage. Yay?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the recent addition of several journeymen through free agency i wouldn't be surprised if 5/6 udfa makes the 53
If i was an udfa in May i would do cart wheels to sign with the Cardinals, best chances to make it

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the recent addition of several journeymen through free agency i wouldn't be surprised if 5/6 udfa makes the 53
If i was an udfa in May i would do cart wheels to sign with the Cardinals, best chances to make it

I'm all for it. This is a huge class due to covid.

There will be plenty of UDFA's that would normally have been day 3 picks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard