My larger perspective on some of these low-level signings

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty much. And those who are unhappy with each signing should be delighted in A) the players will only be here for a single year. B) the short contracts suggest it will only be a year of downtime. And C) the players aren't costing anything meaning Monti will have a nice stack of chips to sign free agents with when the time comes

And of course not everybody is going to be happy with this strategy - I know I don't want to suck for a whole nother year but it is what it is. Kinda like when I got my new grill. Costed a lot of money. Took a long ass time. Came with a lot of pain. But OMG was it worth it. I can eat whatever I want and I even smile in pictures now

So I'm just going to try and not let the suck get me down, keep my sense of humor and my goals realistic. To try and find a little bit of joy in each and every loss instead of calling for Monti's head because I believe he and Sears do have a tooth removal plan in place - and the sooner we get it over with the sooner we can smile again
So we really do nothing for the upcoming season other than the draft. The one year contract guys are gone after the season and we will then have another draft. We will also go crazy in FA which I don’t believe for a minute. If everything goes very well it will be year three before any chance of being competitive. Just hard to be confident but will remain hopeful.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes. Any team with Kyler Murray at QB should be alive for the playoffs through Christmas every year

He's had three injured years out of four each missing significant time, two late season collapses, and an integral part of an awful offense (while he wasn't injured of course).

Sure he's been great and even spectacular at times. Sure he's electric and a game changer, no doubt. Too bad an NFL season is 17+ games.

And now he will get a pass this season (partial) because (did I mention his injuries?) we have fielded a terrible team and he will take time to get back to normal. Even if he balls out, which I'm not holding my breath, it's only a partial season (in which we've already seen before, how did that end again?). Great that he can play well for part of a season.

So now we gotta wait until 2024 to really see what he can do. Drafted in 2019 and we won't really know what we got until really the end of the 2024 season, great. Even one solid season and I wouldn't be convinced, but it would be bring  some confidence back.

He's not dependable in one way or another. Not enough to bet on any further.

Last edited:

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
So we really do nothing for the upcoming season other than the draft. The one year contract guys are gone after the season and we will then have another draft. We will also go crazy in FA which I don’t believe for a minute. If everything goes very well it will be year three before any chance of being competitive. Just hard to be confident but will remain hopeful.
idk about "go crazy in free agency" but yeah something along the lines of that

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think we're purging, resetting, and building a base level. These are the bottom feeders we need at the back end of the roster, and all the guys we want to build going forward will need to be CLEARLY better than them.

Instead of signing/re-signing the best guys from the top tiers, we spent the beginning of free agency getting presumably the 'best' guys from the 5th-6th wave. I can't be sure of their quality vis-a-vis the others, but we're sure the first at signing them.

How long we get stuck in this mode is anyone's guess. But it might be a while.

Will Monti/Gannon get four years to try to build something like Joe Bugel? I don't know. McCoy as OC, six games. Wilks one year. Kliff, ~18 games after being #1 in the NFL. Recent history suggests otherwise.

I believe Michael's plan is to build something the right way, but does he know what he's in for?

The whole, 'quick turnaround' he talked about sure doesn't sound realistic. Is there already a disconnect between the new regime and the owner? Maybe he's just trying to sell a loser, but he's pulled the trigger quickly lately (thankfully).

At the very least, we're headed for a top pick next draft.

just read K9's crust analogy... spot on.
Vegas new staff also has roots in NE...and they are doing much the same...signed 19 guys and most of them are depth or meh..no flash

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Always believed 2023 is a total reset from top to bottom. MB paying a lot of money to people not with the Org right now. KM being hurt slammed the brakes on any aggressive FA moves for the most part. GM resetting cap as best as possible for 2024, with Coach buy-in. Build with youth in two draft cycles with better FA targets in 2024 with a fully healthy KM for entire year. I am fine with it as the Kiem cycle of madness needed to be stopped

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
that crossed my mind too... but advancing more money to an injured unproven QB doesnt leave a good taste
It's already guaranteed... shouldn't matter to anyone, at this point, when he actually gets to cash the check.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He's had three injured years out of four each missing significant time, two late season collapses, and an integral part of an awful offense (while he wasn't injured of course).

Sure he's been great and even spectacular at times. Sure he's electric and a game changer, no doubt. Too bad an NFL season is 17+ games.

And now he will get a pass this season (partial) because (did I mention his injuries?) we have fielded a terrible team and he will take time to get back to normal. Even if he balls out, which I'm not holding my breath, it's only a partial season (in which we've already seen before, how did that end again?). Great that he can play well for part of a season.

So now we gotta wait until 2024 to really see what he can do. Drafted in 2019 and we won't really know what we got until really the end of the 2024 season, great. Even one solid season and I wouldn't be convinced, but it would be bring  some confidence back.

I’m fine with a QB who can only start 15 games in a 17-game season.

My expectation is that Kyler comes in and balls out like a $250 million QB. His last four starts should pace a 3500-yard passing season.

Then he has to crush 2024 and shut up all the haters. 3800+ yards passing 500+ yards rushing. Top 123 offense and 10+ wins if the defense is mediocre. If he can’t do that, everyone is on the hot seat in 2025, because Jonathan Gannon had one job and that was to optimize Kyler Murray.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

My expectation is that Kyler comes in and balls out like a $250 million QB. His last four starts should pace a 3500-yard passing season.

Then he has to crush 2024 and shut up all the haters. 3800+ yards passing 500+ yards rushing. Top 123 offense and 10+ wins if the defense is mediocre. If he can’t do that, everyone is on the hot seat in 2025, because Jonathan Gannon had one job and that was to optimize Kyler Murray.
I think Kyler can do all that - but he's going to need a Mahomes worthy playbook, serviceable offensive line and wide receivers that are taller than my wife

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I too, love to believe fairy tales.

Evidence doesn't suggest he will consistently last 15, or plays well when the pressure is on at the end of a season or in general play consistently well for a whole season. Playoffs? You talking about playoffs?

You have hope, that's it. That's the gamble. Except no more rookie contract. When will his leadership skills kick in? Will he stop becoming a turnover machine?

If he has one absolutely solid season in 2024, it isn't proof of anything. It's 1 year. Unless it's a very deep playoff run. He will always be injury prone unless proven otherwise, consistently.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, I am talking about winning 7-9 games in two years, not one. For example, I would not be surprised if we won 3-4 games next year and 4-6 the year after.
I know, I was yanking your chain and predicting 0-17 next year.

I do think we will be bad enough though, but it’s hard to not accidentally win a game or 2.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Going 6-11 with a quarterback of Kyler Murray’s caliber should get everyone fired.
Assuming the guy ever returns to complete health and the dynamic movement he's known for. We've all really got to accept the concern that he might not. Is Kyler at 70% of his rushing ability great enough to make up for other problems?

This league is full of guys whose mobility has worn down at this position. Carson Wentz has gone from an MVP candidate to jobless. Watson's a nobody now until proven otherwise. Mariota the same.

Heck, Russell Wilson maintained his skill for a good while, but is now basically cooked, barring an unexpected recovery.

I'm worried we don't see a truly "healthy" KM until he's 28, and between injury and age, I don't know if we're ever getting the same guy.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Assuming the guy ever returns to complete health and the dynamic movement he's known for. We've all really got to accept the concern that he might not. Is Kyler at 70% of his rushing ability great enough to make up for other problems?

This league is full of guys whose mobility has worn down at this position. Carson Wentz has gone from an MVP candidate to jobless. Watson's a nobody now until proven otherwise. Mariota the same.

Heck, Russell Wilson maintained his skill for a good while, but is now basically cooked, barring an unexpected recovery.

I'm worried we don't see a truly "healthy" KM until he's 28, and between injury and age, I don't know if we're ever getting the same guy.

Except your argument doesn't take into account that all of those guys are not named Kyler Murray. All he has to do is heal up to full, throw for a lot of yards and touchdowns, run for a lot of yards and touchdowns, while also racking up those wins.

It's that easy bro and pretty much guaranteed at this point. If it doesn't work out that way it's literally everyone else's fault.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Except your argument doesn't take into account that all of those guys are not named Kyler Murray. All he has to do is heal up to full, throw for a lot of yards and touchdowns, run for a lot of yards and touchdowns, while also racking up those wins.

It's that easy bro and pretty much guaranteed at this point. If it doesn't work out that way it's literally everyone else's fault.
Don't forget learning a different offense than the Air Raid for the first time in his entire football career, lol. Totally easy for a guy with the Madden playbook and CoD maps memorized though.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Don't forget learning a different offense than the Air Raid for the first time in his entire football career, lol. Totally easy for a guy with the Madden playbook and CoD maps memorized though.

No problem for him. He can literally see it all in his mind.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yea, we’ll see.

I’m already wanting Monti & Gannon out the door if we trade out of Will Anderson territory or draft Tyree Wilson under any circumstance. Would be a horrendous first off-season.

Not to mention, you have the most conservative footabll mentality on here. So, I understand why you love this approach.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
We won't know that for sure until we know the health of KM. If he comes back and is terrible again, then we might be drafting another QB which might start the cycle all the way over again.
True. That's a separate issue, however, and one we can't really do much about. We have to plan to try to compete as if KM will become the QB we need him to be and be healthy by 2024.

Stout

Reaction score

Yeah, unless he returns from injury and is just a cracker jack QB, you take a QB if you get a high enough pick. Without a second thought.

Stout

Reaction score

So you don't think KM's good enough to have a 4,000 yard passing season? Cool.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose