Arizona Cardinals sign OL Dennis Daley

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Both of these guys have me on ignore but I'm going to reply for the benefit of everyone else that is already arguing with them because they are wrong.

Turning the roster over only makes sense if there is a net benefit. Losing experienced players that will be a major part of the upcoming season for no net gain makes no sense. It is the opposite of good roster management. Moving on from Ertz and Conner would be a net loss. We would open two massive holes on the roster for nothing. Guys like McBride would lose someone they should be learning from. They would cost more to replace than keep and there is no money saved next year either because you're just deducting from this years rollover into next year (Accelerating $4m dead cap into this year from next just deducts $4m you're going to rollover).

The same applies to "It's incompetent to free up cap this year at the expense of next year". It's a wash. If we don't use it this year (which looks likely) then it rolls over to next year and cancels itself out. So Humps restructure and COnner's small restructure make zero difference to next years cap space. Before calling GM's incompetent it would help to understand this.

The argument also completely washes over Ertz being injured which triggers more guarantees and would lead to an injury settlement that would lose even more money. He may well be traded further down the road when cleared and he's been through camp but you know, that would require patience.

Feel free to copy and paste these when they are telling you that you are wrong.
I'm with you BC at least in Ertz and Connor. They are far from the source of my angst.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Wow he gave up a tackle! He sucks cut him!
To be fair your statement was he didn’t embarrass himself. The fact that they replayed that clip over and over nationally when he decided not to attempt a tackle en route to an easy TD cannot be classified as anything other than embarrassing himself.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Can't cut Ertz, it would have to be an injury settlement and that can have a bad look to cut a playing in the middle of rehab. Also, if we could cut Ertz, it would cost $16 million in dead money vs. the $11 million cap hit. Trading him the next off season would cost $5 million in dead money, but get us something back.

Connor only saves $500k, so no point in cutting him. We'll suck with or without him, so might as well keep him and mentor the kids we hopefully bring in.
Yes, cutting Conner this year only saves 500K. But cutting Conner this year also saves 6.9 mil in 2024 instead of 4.9 mil if we cut him next year. (unless the Cardinals did convert his bonus, then next year's dead money is higher if he is cut)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Jesus, are you full of yourself. The self-named expert of All That Is Right And Wrong! Puny posters, how dare you disagree with Me! I am all that is In-Line Cards Thinking, and I will tell you why you are wrong! lol

C'mon, man. When you do this, you come across very, very badly. All you have to do is craft it as an opinion, man. Doing it like this ensures no one will read what follows.
It is taking all I have to resist clicking the "show ignored content" button. lol

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Both of these guys have me on ignore but I'm going to reply for the benefit of everyone else that is already arguing with them because they are wrong.

Turning the roster over only makes sense if there is a net benefit. Losing experienced players that will be a major part of the upcoming season for no net gain makes no sense. It is the opposite of good roster management. Moving on from Ertz and Conner would be a net loss. We would open two massive holes on the roster for nothing. Guys like McBride would lose someone they should be learning from. They would cost more to replace than keep and there is no money saved next year either because you're just deducting from this years rollover into next year (Accelerating $4m dead cap into this year from next just deducts $4m you're going to rollover).

The same applies to "It's incompetent to free up cap this year at the expense of next year". It's a wash. If we don't use it this year (which looks likely) then it rolls over to next year and cancels itself out. So Humps restructure and COnner's small restructure make zero difference to next years cap space. Before calling GM's incompetent it would help to understand this.

The argument also completely washes over Ertz being injured which triggers more guarantees and would lead to an injury settlement that would lose even more money. He may well be traded further down the road when cleared and he's been through camp but you know, that would require patience.

Feel free to copy and paste these when they are telling you that you are wrong.
I love the argument for two guys who won’t be here when we hopefully turn corner (Conner and ertz) that apparently doesn’t apply to two guys that would help us turn the corner someday (Murphy and Allen).

Also this: no one is ever trading for ertz again. He was already slow, will be 33 when he is playing again, and is on an expensive contract.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm with you BC at least in Ertz and Connor. They are far from the source of my angst.
This is the difference in regards to these two players.

If we keep Ertz and Conner this year and cut them next year, we have 23 mil in space this year (according to spotrac), and we free up 15.9 mil if we cut them next year (or post June 1st this year).

If we cut Ertz and Conner this year (pre June 1st) our cap this year decreases from 23 mil to 16.7 mil, but we open up 23.9 mil next year.

Those that are in favor of clearing out those contracts this year simply prefer to have an additional 8 mil in cap space next year vs an additional 6.3 in cap space this year.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s only two ways to GM? Who knew it was so easy?!?
Come on man. You know what I’m saying. We were never and will never be the team that finance the future like the Saints. Probably one of the reasons Payton didn’t come here.
We’ve hit rock bottom. We won 1 more game than the pathetic Texans and the Bears who DID tear it all down and now have a plethora of picks and gobs of cap space. I’m tired of reading all the complaints when we sign an aging veteran coming off an injury who was “ really good” 3 years ago as we try to catch lightning in a bottle. The DT that we’re still paying. Watt who we paid a ton of money for a year and a half worth of games and we are STILL paying. A CB that we paid for TWO years that never played.
We suck. I’m tired of watching us sign players like that.
I’m not going to bark at anybody who believes we are doing this all wrong. Maybe they’re right. But I do know how terrible this roster is, like it or not and it was never going to be fixed this off season to be competitive. If we were on the cusp of being a playoff team, that would one thing. But we aren’t even close. But I think it’s silly for anyone to think we could sign 4-5 impact free agents tying up money for 4-5 years was going to make this team competitive. No CB’s, no d-line, one “ decent” rb, a Wr room full of dwarfs, a suspect o-line and a Qb who won’t be ready to play until MAYBE November. Not to mention no cap space. Please don’t say we have 34m in cap space. Of course we do because we only have 30 players signed.
Sorry, but this is the perfect year to do this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
To you maybe. But then that goes for most things I write apparently.

They are wrong. How would you like me to write "You're wrong" so it's more acceptable?

It's not a matter of opinion, it's fact. Saying that the GM sucks because he brought $1m forward from next year is just uninformed nonsense. It makes zero difference because either you use it, in which case it was required, or you don't, in which case it rolls over and cancels itself out.

Arguing that Ertz and Conner sticking is stupid or inconsistent is also wrong for all the reasons I explained above.

Both are having multi post arguments with others telling them they are wrong when in fact it is they who are wrong. And had I typed the post above in support of your side of the argument you would not have replied, and when I do so you like the posts, you only did so because it doesn't.
Wait your argument about rolling the money forward is either:

1. You need it this year? The year that we aren’t signing players for the future? The year we are tanking?

2. We aren’t going to use it and the savings will be pushed to next year? If that’s the plan why move the money?

I don’t get it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Come on man. You know what I’m saying. We were never and will never be the team that finance the future like the Saints. Probably one of the reasons Payton didn’t come here.
We’ve hit rock bottom. We won 1 more game than the pathetic Texans and the Bears who DID tear it all down and now have a plethora of picks and gobs of cap space. I’m tired of reading all the complaints when we sign an aging veteran coming off an injury who was “ really good” 3 years ago as we try to catch lightning in a bottle. The DT that we’re still paying. Watt who we paid a ton of money for a year and a half worth of games and we are STILL paying. A CB that we paid for TWO years that never played.
We suck. I’m tired of watching us sign players like that.
I’m not going to bark at anybody who believes we are doing this all wrong. Maybe they’re right. But I do know how terrible this roster is, like it or not and it was never going to be fixed this off season to be competitive. If we were on the cusp of being a playoff team, that would one thing. But we aren’t even close. But I think it’s silly for anyone to think we could sign 4-5 impact free agents tying up money for 4-5 years was going to make this team competitive. No CB’s, no d-line, one “ decent” rb, a Wr room full of dwarfs, a suspect o-line and a Qb who won’t be ready to play until MAYBE November. Not to mention no cap space. Please don’t say we have 34m in cap space. Of course we do because we only have 30 players signed.
Sorry, but this is the perfect year to do this.
Okay, literally NO POSTER is stumping to sign end of their career guys like watt or Alford. No one. Not a single poster. Most are saying a tear down is fine, but you don’t have to just sit out free agency. You can tear down and start your rebuild at the same time. You can sign younger average-to-above-average free agents to begin your rebuild because they will still be here when you are hoping to turn the corner. And two or three of those types of guys aren’t going to hurt the alleged tank next season because (a) kyler ain’t playing all of it; and (b) we still won’t be that talented. But to just sign the dudes we are signing right now is just to ensure (a) we don’t have a tiered veteran structure moving forward; and more importantly (b) the rebuild is pushed back a full additional year. We are talking starting the rebuild in earnest in 2024. That means competitive in 2025 (if lucky), fringe playoff in 2026, and playoffs in 2027. The patience required for that is unrealistic in todays NFL for any fan other than Stockholm syndrome cardinal fans.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Those that are in favor of clearing out those contracts this year simply prefer to have an additional 8 mil in cap space next year vs an additional 6.3 in cap space this year.
It this really that hard to understand? If we're trying to clear space for next year, TAKE THE HIT THIS YEAR!!!!

That's why you dont:

1 - push out Hump money
2 - push out JJ/Hudson money
3 - have Kyler at at 16m cap hit, followed by averaging 50m after that
4 - pay an average kicker 4m to tank

What about these moves make any sense in terms of rebuilding/clearing cap?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The patience required for that is unrealistic in todays NFL for any fan other than Stockholm syndrome cardinal fans.
Waiting for Godot is the perfect encapsulation of the Cards fan experience. "Just wait until we get rid of the old man", "just wait until we have a new stadium", "just wait until MB is in charge".

Success is always just around the corner!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, literally NO POSTER is stumping to sign end of their career guys like watt or Alford. No one. Not a single poster. Most are saying a tear down is fine, but you don’t have to just sit out free agency. You can tear down and start your rebuild at the same time. You can sign younger average-to-above-average free agents to begin your rebuild because they will still be here when you are hoping to turn the corner. And two or three of those types of guys aren’t going to hurt the alleged tank next season because (a) kyler ain’t playing all of it; and (b) we still won’t be that talented. But to just sign the dudes we are signing right now is just to ensure (a) we don’t have a tiered veteran structure moving forward; and more importantly (b) the rebuild is pushed back a full additional year. We are talking starting the rebuild in earnest in 2024. That means competitive in 2025 (if lucky), fringe playoff in 2026, and playoffs in 2027. The patience required for that is unrealistic in todays NFL for any fan other than Stockholm syndrome cardinal fans.
I get your point. I just disagree with it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we keep Ertz and Conner this year and cut them next year, we have 23 mil in space this year (according to spotrac), and we free up 15.9 mil if we cut them next year (or post June 1st this year).

If we cut Ertz and Conner this year (pre June 1st) our cap this year decreases from 23 mil to 16.7 mil, but we open up 23.9 mil next year.

Dude, read what you just wrote.

You want to lose 2 starters. Leaders in the locker room. Players that guys like McBride and a rookie RB can learn from. To save $8m next year at the expense of $8.3m this year. ($6.3m dead cap plus the expense of 2 players to replace them which is $2m for vet min scrubs).

When you could keep them both and bank the $8.3m to roll over into next year while keeping 2 vet leaders.

You're better off financially next year and you kept to leaders and starters.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What exactly is James Conner leading?

How to be a mediocre RB?

You know very well he's a leader on the field and in the locker room. But even if he wasn't, it would still make absolutely no sense from any perspective.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wait your argument about rolling the money forward is either:

1. You need it this year? The year that we aren’t signing players for the future? The year we are tanking?

2. We aren’t going to use it and the savings will be pushed to next year? If that’s the plan why move the money?

I don’t get it.

Simple. You move it in case you need it. If you don't it doesn't matter as it carries over and it's a wash. It gives you flexibility at no cost so why not?

If someone becomes available they think fits the rebuild plan then they have the money there to go.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hmm “…stats are the only thing…” verses “statistics don’t matter at all.” Krang you’re better than that.
Did you read his flimsy argument? I think HE is better than making judgements just based off of labels.

How long does a player have to perform at an above average level before he is no longer considered "bad" or "fringe"? Hamilton has given up a sub 90 passer rating in consecutive seasons. That's a guy who is getting it done.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Yes, cutting Conner this year only saves 500K. But cutting Conner this year also saves 6.9 mil in 2024 instead of 4.9 mil if we cut him next year. (unless the Cardinals did convert his bonus, then next year's dead money is higher if he is cut)
I’m curious to see if his running is better with Murray under center.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose