Arizona Cardinals sign OL Dennis Daley

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is the difference in regards to these two players.

If we keep Ertz and Conner this year and cut them next year, we have 23 mil in space this year (according to spotrac), and we free up 15.9 mil if we cut them next year (or post June 1st this year).

If we cut Ertz and Conner this year (pre June 1st) our cap this year decreases from 23 mil to 16.7 mil, but we open up 23.9 mil next year.

Those that are in favor of clearing out those contracts this year simply prefer to have an additional 8 mil in cap space next year vs an additional 6.3 in cap space this year.
Oh, I'm cool with that Chopper, don't get me wrong. I don't get on either side of the argument because with the way I'm feeling right now and the prospects of this team moving forward, doing either gives me no resolution. I'm glad you explained because at the least I'm clear on the ramifications.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we are switching him to guard wouldn't it have been better to just keep Cody Ford? Ford is bad but Daley is the worst OL in the league.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Both of these guys have me on ignore but I'm going to reply for the benefit of everyone else that is already arguing with them because they are wrong.

Turning the roster over only makes sense if there is a net benefit. Losing experienced players that will be a major part of the upcoming season for no net gain makes no sense. It is the opposite of good roster management. Moving on from Ertz and Conner would be a net loss. We would open two massive holes on the roster for nothing. Guys like McBride would lose someone they should be learning from. They would cost more to replace than keep and there is no money saved next year either because you're just deducting from this years rollover into next year (Accelerating $4m dead cap into this year from next just deducts $4m you're going to rollover).

The same applies to "It's incompetent to free up cap this year at the expense of next year". It's a wash. If we don't use it this year (which looks likely) then it rolls over to next year and cancels itself out. So Humps restructure and COnner's small restructure make zero difference to next years cap space. Before calling GM's incompetent it would help to understand this.

The argument also completely washes over Ertz being injured which triggers more guarantees and would lead to an injury settlement that would lose even more money. He may well be traded further down the road when cleared and he's been through camp but you know, that would require patience.

Feel free to copy and paste these when they are telling you that you are wrong.
Some cap can roll over. Yes.
But teams still have a minimum cap floor they have to spend or else they get fines and sanctions from the league.
So they cant just go at it thinking if we dont spend it, it will just roll to next year and help us.

Reaction score
We have now signed the OT who gave up the most sacks last season and the Center who gave up the most sacks last season. If we can sign the Guard who gave up the most sacks last season, we will have the full set!
What center did we sign?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some cap can roll over. Yes.
But teams still have a minimum cap floor they have to spend or else they get fines and sanctions from the league.
So they cant just go at it thinking if we dont spend it, it will just roll to next year and help us.

You can rollover as much as you like. The Brown's rolled over $27.5m last year and I don't see us getting near to that.

You just have to spend 89% of available cap space over a 4 year period. If we roll it over and spend it next year that's covered.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
If we are switching him to guard wouldn't it have been better to just keep Cody Ford? Ford is bad but Daley is the worst OL in the league.
we have seen that Ford is a disaster at guard

Daley might be acceptable at guard

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
6th round draft pick in 2019

Correct me if I'm wrong but this seems kinda out of character for Monti Ossenfort - While I realize $3.2 is a drop in the bucket you'd figure he could've gotten just as crappy of a player for less... or is the bottom of the barrel really that empty? Has the suck all but dried up? Heaven forbid we start signing mediocre talent, we can't be having those luxuries! What's next? Free food for the players? Slippery slope Monti!!!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
more than i thought it would be -- although the NFL has this veteran thing where certain players can be paid more, but hit the cap like they were being paid the minimum

one thing i do like: if you take a flyer on a guy -- get a second cheap year so if he works out, you have him under contract for a bargain

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except when he gave up on a tackle in a primetime game.
I would argue he did exactly that on the play he allowed a TD without attempting a tackle.
I was under the impression (based on Hard Knocks & other info that came out at the time) that Hamilton thought the ball carrier had stepped out of bounds & didn't want to get penalized for a late hit. Not that he quit on the play or made a business decision not to tackle him in a lost cause.

Still a mistake, but big difference in what it says about Hamilton as a player and what can be expected of him going forward. He seemed pretty distraught about it on HK or wherever the footage was that I saw shortly after the game.

Doesn't seem at all like Hamilton to deliberately let the guy run by him, from what we know about him. But then... who knows, I guess. :shrug:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression (based on Hard Knocks & other info that came out at the time) that Hamilton thought the ball carrier had stepped out of bounds & didn't want to get penalized for a late hit. Not that he quit on the play or made a business decision not to tackle him in a lost cause.

Still a mistake, but big difference in what it says about Hamilton as a player and what can be expected of him going forward.
Come on. This is like some 1984 spin. Don’t believe what your eyes and ears are telling you.

Kittle isn’t even close to out of bounds here until AFTER he passes by Hamilton who’s already quit. He quit here, plain simple.

He seemed pretty distraught about it on HK or wherever the footage was that I saw shortly after the game.
I (and I’m betting most of us) would be distraught too if one our worst career moments happened on national TV and everyone in the know rightfully called me a quitter.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Come on. This is like some 1984 spin. Don’t believe what your eyes and ears are telling you.

Kittle isn’t even close to out of bounds here until AFTER he passes by Hamilton who’s already quit. He quit here, plain simple.

I (and I’m betting most of us) would be distraught too if one our worst career moments happened on national TV and everyone in the know rightfully called me a quitter.

He showed no signs of "quitting" in any other game in a season where we lost 13 games. As a fringe player in a contract year in a live televised game I'm willing to bet it was a mistake on the balance of evidence.

What would he even be making a "business decision" about? If anything this was an anti business decision. All he has to do is make slight contact to knock him out of bounds. This ain't the middle of the field against Marshawn Lynch head on. He doesn't have to pile drive a 230lb guy. He just needs to make a basic tackle, barely even that.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When you say turnstile, my mind goes right to the human turnstile, Levi Brown!

This guy?

levibrown-jpg.19041

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kittle was pretty danged close to out of bounds here. But sure, Hamilton had time to recognize that the whistle hadn't blown, and should've given him another shove. Still, easier for me to believe that he had a brain fart, than that he deliberately quit on the play. It wouldn't have taken a huge effort or put his body at risk to give Kittle a shove. :shrug:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose