2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns will pull off a major trade involving Ayton after next season. They can absorb salary since Paul & Shamet will be off the books by then and Ayton will only have two years left on his deal so he’s movable. It’s all about rearranging the deck chairs when you’re in our position. Looks what the Clippers are doing with their different cycle of role players each year and they’re contenders every year depending on health. Also there might be some coaching change upside as well.
This.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, in case it's been missed along the way, I was mocking the idea that Booker and DA could ever be considered the next Shaq and Kobe duo. It could have been, maybe even should have been but missed it by many miles. And that's coming from one of the few fans that thinks Kobe is one of the more overrated players of the modern era.

Oh God no. Neither are in the same class as Shaq and Kobe

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It’s 100% true like I said Ayton and Paul were the number 1 duo in the NBA last year with DA being ridiculously efficient.

It takes two guys to run the pick and roll and Paul has fallen off a cliff making our pick and roll game a shell of what it was last year. This is a Paul issue

I love Sabonis and he is really good at rebounding and passing but he’s a huge liability on defense especially switching on the perimeter and that’s what the NBA is today. We would need a really good defensive PF.
Sabonis still averaged a better shooting percentage and more PPP than Ayton last year as well. I think Sabonis’ ability to rebound and pass out weigh his defensive inadequacies but that’s just me.

He’s going to be All-NBA this year. Ayton hasn’t even made an All-Star team. But we shall see. Him and Fox are the best in the 4th quarter this year with the #1 offense of All-Time in offensive rating.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sabonis still averaged a better shooting percentage and more PPP than Ayton last year as well. I think Sabonis’ ability to rebound and pass out weigh his defensive inadequacies but that’s just me.

He’s going to be All-NBA this year. Ayton hasn’t even made an All-Star team. But we shall see. Him and Fox are the best in the 4th quarter this year with the #1 offense of All-Time in offensive rating.

Ayton shot 63% last year and Sabonis shot 55% that’s a huge gap.

I disagree. The game changes in the playoffs and we’ve seen centers who can’t switch get embarrassed because they’ll just pick on you all day long. I like Sabonis I really like Sabonis

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I disagree. The game changes in the playoffs and we’ve seen centers who can’t switch get embarrassed because they’ll just pick on you all day long. I like Sabonis I really like Sabonis

If they both took 20 attempts, that’s 12.6 versus 11 points.

Now figure in FT attempts…

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
What if they are in contention next year and playing lights out?
Just saying they have options. In 24’ they have expirings and can trade their pick on draft night as well as swap rights in 26’ plus the TP-MLE. I think they ultimately run it back next year regardless of the result with the possibility of a coaching change.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OKC keeps us in the 4 spot beating the Clippers.

I don’t care what anyone says… when the 4 seed might be barely over .500, and Denver, Memphis and Sacto the best 3 teams in the standings when everyone regards them as pretenders… the West stinks this year.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saying they have options. In 24’ they have expirings and can trade their pick on draft night as well as swap rights in 26’ plus the TP-MLE. I think they ultimately run it back next year regardless of the result with the possibility of a coaching change.
I got that. I was just asking what you think they should do if they are tearing it up next year as is?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Same knee that he tore earlier in his career:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Giannis had his knee move in a similarly wrong direction in the 2021 playoffs and he didn't miss much time.

It looks ugly but knee ligaments are more forgiving when moving fore and aft than to the left or right. He might be okay.

Obviously there are limits to the forgiveness... Willis McGahee's knee did not withstand a helmet going through it.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
OKC keeps us in the 4 spot beating the Clippers.

I don’t care what anyone says… when the 4 seed might be barely over .500, and Denver, Memphis and Sacto the best 3 teams in the standings when everyone regards them as pretenders… the West stinks this year.

I agree. If there ever was a season where Suns suffer so many injuries, this is it. The West is so bizarre this year that it's not far-fetched to think the Suns can get through it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. If there ever was a season where Suns suffer so many injuries, this is it. The West is so bizarre this year that it's not far-fetched to think the Suns can get through it.
Getting KD back gives us a very good chance to make it out of the West. I'm not sure how we'd match up with Philly, Boston and Milwaukee but if you can get to the finals there's always a chance.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting KD back gives us a very good chance to make it out of the West. I'm not sure how we'd match up with Philly, Boston and Milwaukee but if you can get to the finals there's always a chance.

Philly seems to be a dark horse this year. If they can stay healthy then I wouldn't be surprised if they win it all. They remind me of Milwaukee a few years ago as one of those teams that is a perennial contender but just can't get over the hump due to health and luck. This year is wide open though and Embiid is an MVP level star with a legit sidekick in Harden, who has accepted his role as secondary option.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

100% disagree about Sabonis and 100% agree with Finito here.

I like DS also but damn he is going to get exposed in the playoffs IMO. If Ayton has his energy....... his defense is the most important skill he possesses in the playoffs.

Sabonis is the one of the ultimate playoff pigeons IMO. They better hope they can outscore everyone because otherwise they are gone by the 2nd round.

And that injury to PG was ugly. I hope he comes out of it with a mild sprain but I fear it may be much worse than that. the NBA may get what they want with the Suns and Warriors in round 1.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your right 8% points is nothing.

This year, not last years stats where we were the best in the league and Sabonis was on the move with different teams, Sabonis has: less attempts per game with a better FG%, scores more, rebounds more, assists more, and free throws more. Even his 3pt % is more.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's hard to watch. Hopefully it's not as bad as it looks...
Hopefully he is OK and it just looks bad. If not? Man....I could see this ending his career at his age at 32. It would be likely 2 years before he could even look like himself again if it's serious. Is it worth it at 34?? Maybe.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This year, not last years stats where we were the best in the league and Sabonis was on the move with different teams, Sabonis has: less attempts per game with a better FG%, scores more, rebounds more, assists more, and free throws more. Even his 3pt % is more.

Ok but we were specifically talking about last year.

My point being the problem with our pick and roll isn’t Ayton it’s Paul not being able to run the offense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul George has a sprained right knee and will be re-evaluated in 2-3 weeks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose