Vikings Sign Byron Murphy

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Interesting that you say “many” without knowing of any (considering you state he’s the only one to express the thoughts). Weird statement.
Oh, I know of many. My long-time Cardinals friends have been discussing this meal issue at length. It is not weird at all. Dave is just ahead of his time expressing it on this message board. He is a great poster.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ehhh Chandler Jones re upped here, Budda, Larry Fitz repeatedly. In the end all that matters is the contract. Not saying I dont think their stuff should be tip top. It should. Absolutely 100% but in the end $$$ talks and high end payers will come here and stay here if the $$$ is right.

Yup.

Cards should offer tip top services and facilities.

Also very well paid people having to pay for meals in the offseason if at the facility when they would have to pay for meals if they trained elsewhere (as many do) is an extremely unimportant issue which literally affects nothing outside a few bucks from players pockets.

If they offered the best facilities in the league and players had to pay for meals in the offseason nobody would be bothered. The meal thing has become some weird totem for "cheap cardinals" talk.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are a dick quite often, which is why you continually get banned.

And I individually chose to join the military and served with some that it wasn't a choice because it was there only way out and they wanted to provide for their family. Two I was very close to died in Afghanistan and didn't regret it because their family was now taken care of. As PFC June Park once said to me, "this was something I had to do to give him son a future."

Again, it's my opinion and you have yours. Neither are wrong because they are personal to use. To tell me my opinion is wrong is way off. You don't have to agree with it, but it's mine.

I mean, one of them is wrong and it's not @oaken1

You can't just redefine the meaning of choice. You had a choice to join the military or not, you might not have felt that way, maybe you felt a calling to it. But you still had a choice.

And you can't equate Pro sports to military service. A lot of these guys have degrees and could go on and have successful careers in other fields. They choose football because it pays a **** load of money. Money they can use to pay for offseason meals.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

You can't just redefine the meaning of choice. You had a choice to join the military or not, you might not have felt that way, maybe you felt a calling to it. But you still had a choice.

And you can't equate Pro sports to military service. A lot of these guys have degrees and could go on and have successful careers in other fields. They choose football because it pays a **** load of money. Money they can use to pay for offseason meals.

This is literally one of the most misinformed things I've ever seen on this board. Hilarious.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Privilege provides choice.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is literally one of the most misinformed things I've ever seen on this board. Hilarious.

80% of students that play in the FCS leave with a degree.

According to the NFL's own data nearly 50% of current players have a degree (although that data is a couple of years out of date).

Pretty sure that's "a lot".

And of the 50% that don't most are not far from getting one and could choose to stay in college or complete it in any offseason.

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

According to the NFL's own data nearly 50% of current players have a degree (although that data is a couple of years out of date).

And of the 50% that don't they are not far from getting on and could choose to stay in college or complete it with a post graduate degree.

FYI: Undergraduate (BA), Graduate (MA), post-graduate (Ph.D.)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

And of the 50% that don't they are not far from getting on and could choose to stay in college or complete it with a post graduate degree.
Yeah, but what are those degrees in? Most of them are communications or sports journalism or some other nonsense. Larry Fitzgerald's U of Phoenix degree is EXTREMELY marketable.

None of these guys are on track for careers outside of/without football that will pay them six-figure incomes at age 23.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard the Vikings provide popcorn on the sidelines when you’re sitting out because of injuries…
If you QB the Jets you can eat a hot dog on the sideline, but you must be sneaky about it. :D

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Yeah, but what are those degrees in? Most of them are communications or sports journalism or some other nonsense. Larry Fitzgerald's U of Phoenix degree is EXTREMELY marketable.

None of these guys are on track for careers outside of/without football that will pay them six-figure incomes at age 23.
Doesn't freaking matter. A degree, pretty much any degree, gets your foot in the door over old farts like me that never finished.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

A degree is a degree.

Half the degrees in colleges are in subjects that ain't worth **** in the real world. But they still give you a leg up in whatever career you want to go in because it shows a work ethic and ability to turn up and do the work.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't freaking matter. A degree, pretty much any degree, gets your foot in the door over old farts like me that never finished.
That is a very antiquated way of thinking. I can tell you about 20% of folks who work in FAANG don't have a degree and that number is growing. These are the highest level of tech jobs too.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A degree is a degree.
No it's not. When I hire I look at what the degree is and where they got it from and even then if another applicant has more experience and no degree, the no degree gets the edge. Degrees aren't as important as they use to be. This is antiquated thinking.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
A degree is a degree.

Half the degrees in colleges are in subjects that ain't worth **** in the real world. But they still give you a leg up in whatever career you want to go in because it shows a work ethic and ability to turn up and do the work.
Nope. That was true a long time ago but now not even a little bit true. Two ways to look at it: just about everyone has a degree so just having one means nothing. Many fields are getting to the point of realizing how worthless degrees are, on the main, and don't care if you have one. That's without even getting into technical careers/trades.

Your post was the line I was fed as a kid, but times were already a-changin'.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No it's not. When I hire I look at what the degree is and where they got it from and even then if another applicant has more experience and no degree, the no degree gets the edge. Degrees aren't as important as they use to be. This is antiquated thinking.

Well yeah, obvs. That's the way it's always been.

But there are a whole bunch of jobs that won't even interview none graduates. Even if that degree isn't relevant. And then a whole bunch more where that degree gives you an edge over people with no degree and little experience.

This place man. Multi post arguments that football players couldn't go do something else when it's plainly obvious they could.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
That is a very antiquated way of thinking. I can tell you about 20% of folks who work in FAANG don't have a degree and that number is growing. These are the highest level of tech jobs too.
So 80% have a degree....got it...lol

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

I'd love for Brit to explain where and when athletes will actually study. Anyone with any exposure to high level college athletics knows these kids barely go to class, many have their own class rooms/tutors, and that the goal of the athletic depts is to keep these kids eligible - not create Rhodes scholars.

It's a total joke, and 90+% of them will learn very little of value to prep them for the real world.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love for Brit to explain where and when athletes will actually study. Anyone with any exposure to high level college athletics knows these kids barely go to class, many have their own class rooms/tutors, and that the goal of the athletic depts is to keep these kids eligible - not create Rhodes scholars.

It's a total joke, and 90+% of them will learn very little of value to prep them for the real world.

Pretty sure that is just at ASU....

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah… I disagree with Shane on a ton of political issues, but I’ve also met him multiple times and dude is a rock solid guy.

Don’t see any reason to be slinging insults here.

lol Shane and I have gone to games together he's good people
I'll vouch for Shane. He and I may not always agree, but I've ever had an encounter with him that I help he was disrespectful or was being a dick to me.

And we all know that at the end of his career he wasn't a real cop, he was just there to get pictures with celebrities. Right @Shane ? ;)
Thanks guys. I appreciate the shout outs. It’s why this won’t be the first time that I have said I feel like ASFN is family regardless of our differences and gripes with each other. Many of us have been around each other or interacting with each other for well over 2 decades. Going all the way back to other message board before this place even existed. We have helped pull people through and donated money to each other and been there for each other in times of need. Even pooled money together to bring fellow fans to games. Be it through PM’s group chats sometimes phone calls now. Gathering at games, meetings at bars, etc…. I have met and been friends for years with folks that live all across the country and I am grateful for it. I am grateful for all of you truly!

I appreciate each and everyone here. Even the ones that don’t care for me or who I may have rubbed the wrong way at some point. No grudges from me. We’re grown it happens. Nobody always agrees and that’s ok.

Nothing but respect and love to each and every poster here. Thanks for being here and thanks to @Shaggy for continuing to make it possible.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I mean, the argument about choosing to do something else has merit... but so does saying that playing in the NFL, even on the practice squad, is a better gig than the vast majority of most people on this planet, or even educated first world adults, are ever gonna get. So, yeah, it's a "choice," but taking your communications degree into the real world is gonna net you $30k, whereas one year on an active roster is gonna net you a minimum of $705,000.

Now, that doesn't make me feel bad in the least that they have to pay for a boxed meal at the end of the day, though. So do most of us.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose