Time to Burn It All Down

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeping the Conners and Ertz of the team intact flies in the face of everything you’re advocating for. If you can’t see that YOU are blind.
Conner is going to be gone after one year. I know you know that.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I referenced the rookie contracts as players who wouldn't be part of the purge this season. A bunch of you are implying that I want to cut the entire team and start over from zero. That is not what I'm saying. You get rid of what makes sense this year. Getting rid of the rookies would make no sense. Just like cutting players who you have to pay right now makes zero sense.
Exactly.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get out of here. I completely understand it, and have differing opinions. But you keep being you.
But your opinion isn’t based on fact. If a team is burning down the house, it doesn’t keep high priced older vets who will stymie the progress of younger talent AND hurt the cap moving forward. Doing so is the polar opposite of a tear down.

Okay… let’s try this. In a season which looks like it’s ALL ABOUT planning for the future, how does keeping Ertz and Conner around this year further the goal of making things better in 2024, 2025?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But your opinion isn’t based on fact. If a team is burning down the house, it doesn’t keep high priced older vets who will stymie the progress of younger talent AND hurt the cap moving forward. Doing so is the polar opposite of a tear down.

Okay… let’s try this. In a season which looks like it’s ALL ABOUT planning for the future, how does keeping Ertz and Conner around this year further the goal of making things better in 2024, 2025?
I'll say it again. Conner won't be here in 2024. That IS planning for the future. Ertz likely stays around for one more year.

What's the point of cutting a guy that is going to be paid no matter what? We have to fill the roster with someone. You think we should cut Conner and pay someone else to do the job he does, costing even more money? Why on earth would Bidwill do that?

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Solid Veteran locker room presence who can show the rookies what it takes to be a good NFL player.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure. You could cut Kyler as well.

But it would be stupid!
Kyler is part of the future or at least we hope is he. And cutting Kyler would destroy next year’s cap. Conner and Ertz are not part of the future and cutting them now would help next year’s cap.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It doesn't hurt the cap going forward.

Y'all are arguing about something that is a net negative. Would only save $3.3m this year. Nothing in 2024. And would require 2 replacements that likely cost at least $3.3m.

Might not even save $3.3m this year as Ertz has an extra $3m guaranteed money that kicks in for injury this year.

The money is a complete wash.

And arguing about the snaps seems pointless when keeping both these guys around is the only sensible option.

Again someone probably needs to repeat this to @cheesebeef

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler is part of the future or at least we hope is he. And cutting Kyler would destroy next year’s cap. Conner and Ertz are not part of the future and cutting them now would help next year’s cap.

So you would cut both right now? Just to be clear?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The irony is that the same people saying this franchise sucks (we know it does) because they didn't re-sign our good talent and mentioned that we need to fill a roster... is now not using the same logic when it concerns other players like Conner and Ertz.

(for the record, I have always agreed that Ertz contract isn't good and that Conner's isn't great. It isn't this huge albatross that it is made out to be.) Especially since Conner is essentially on a one more year deal and the Cards can easily get out of it after next year.
Conner's is definitely the albatross it's made out to be. 9 million for a slow-as-molasses running back. That's, what, more than triple the entire Eagles RB room? Oof.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Conner's is definitely the albatross it's made out to be. 9 million for a slow-as-molasses running back. That's, what, more than triple the entire Eagles RB room? Oof.
That's because Keim deferred all of the cap to this year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll say it again. Conner won't be here in 2024. That IS planning for the future. Ertz likely stays around for one more year.

What's the point of cutting a guy that is going to be paid no matter what?
BECAUSE YOURE THINKING ABOUT THE FUTURE. BECAUSE YOU WANT TO BUILD AND DEVELOP YOUNG TALENT. BECAUSE YOI WANT TO TAKE THE CAP HIT WITH THOSE GUYS NOW WHEN YOU’RE BAD INSTEAD OF HAVING THEM ALSO HURT NEXT YEAR’S CAP.

And the only reason im writing in all caps is because you either keep ignoring
We have to fill the roster with someone. You think we should cut Conner and pay someone else to do the job he does, costing even more money?
WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I want to cut conner because a) he sucks and b) I want to evaluate our young running backs. I never said ANYTHING about signing someone else so take that projected crap of argument and shove it.
Why on earth would Bidwill do that?
Because it’s a sunk cost and he SHOULD care about the future? Incredibly weird concept to some, I know.

But to be honest, I’m done talking about this with you. When people start projecting stupid arguments onto others like you did above, there’s zero reason to continue debating because it’s clear that any rational argument is over.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BECAUSE YOURE THINKING ABOUT THE FUTURE. BECAUSE YOU WANT TO BUILD AND DEVELOP YOUNG TALENT. BECAUSE YOI WANT TO TAKE THE CAP HIT WITH THOSE GUYS NOW WHEN YOU’RE BAD INSTEAD OF HAVING THEM ALSO HURT NEXT YEAR’S CAP.

And the only reason im writing in all caps is because you either keep ignoring

WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I want to cut conner because a) he sucks and b) I want to evaluate our young running backs. I never said ANYTHING about signing someone else so take that projected crap of argument and shove it.

Because it’s a sunk cost and he SHOULD care about the future? Incredibly weird concept to some, I know.

But to be honest, I’m done talking about this with you. When people start projecting stupid arguments onto others like you did above, there’s zero reason to continue debating because it’s clear that any rational argument is over.
Says the guy that can't be rational enough to keep his caps lock off. Brilliant.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
So, regarding Ertz, if you can trade him (obviously needs to be healthy) for anything at all, before June 1st, you can actually lower his dead cap from $10 million in 2023 to $6 million and have $6.6 million in cap savings vs releasing him and having a $2.6 million savings. This is why he doesn't need to be released just yet. It's costing zero to keep him until after the draft, as long as you deal with him before June 1st.

As for Conner, you should still deal with him before June 1st, but again, like Ertz, if you can swing a trade for anything (even if you agreed to pay part or most/all of his salary) his cap savings is $6.4 million vs just releasing him and saving $695k.

For both, let things play out in the draft and see what happens on the other side, but before June 1st.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt. That’s a tear down. Let the rookies and our 2nd year TE get those reps. Develop THAT talent in a lost year and cutting Ertz/Conner now ALSO helps clear NEXT YEAR’S CAP.

Anything else is a half-measure that doesn’t help us in the present or the future.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt. That’s a tear down. Let the rookies and our 2nd year TE get those reps. Develop THAT talent in a lost year and cutting Ertz/Conner now ALSO helps clear NEXT YEAR’S CAP.

Anything else is a half-measure that doesn’t help us in the present or the future.

So you are agreeing that we are in a tear down.

We just don't agree on what to do with Conner and Ertz.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Says the guy that can't be rational enough to keep his caps lock off. Brilliant.
As stated above the only reason I wrote in all caps is because you either keep ignoring my point.

But maybe you’re not ignoring it. You simply ‘might not be smart enough to understand it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Right. No idea why you'd want to keep them on the roster in 2023 when cutting them accelerates the cap hits to this season. Why would you keep them in order for them to hit the cap next season?

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I hope Bidwill (AKA Victor F.) knows what kind of monsters he's created over the years. Other than the ugly kind on the field, but the mommy and daddy (and all the extended family) are fighting again ones, or the ones tucked in the closet or sitting in the corner alone.

Are you happy with yourself Bidwill? Look what you've done, the greatest monster of all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sigh… after letting their most talented and young two FA walk they SHOULD be in total tear down. But they’re not actually doing that If they’re not getting rid of Ertz and Conner.

That’s my point. This isn’t a tear down if you’re keeping guys like that. That’s just being cheap.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated above the only reason I wrote in all caps is because you either keep ignoring my point.

But maybe you’re not ignoring it. You simply ‘might not be smart enough to understand it.
Nope. I understand your point. I just don't agree with it.

Why do you have to question my intelligence? I'm not going to put up with it anymore. This is a HARD VERBAL WARNING. Look at me, I can use caps too!!!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Come on man that's below the belt

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right. No idea why you'd want to keep them on the roster in 2023 when cutting them accelerates the cap hits to this season. Why would you keep them in order for them to hit the cap next season?

IT. DOES. NOT. ACCELERATE. THE. CAP. HITS. TO. THIS. SEASON.

As I've said numerous times. It's the same next year either way.

Apparently I'm now invisible and people are arguing for multiple posts about something that isn't accurate.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You can make that argument about Ertz for sure. (McBride) Who is the RB that we want taking snaps from Conner? We don't have that on the roster at the moment.
Literally any rookie running back should be able to get 700 yards.
Yes. Neither Would have any carryover to 2024 despite Brit’s assertion.

Waiting until next year only prolongs the Keim hangover another year—which we’re already doing with Watt and Hudson.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose