Suns trade for PF Darius Bazley

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is saying that. I believe that the argument is that the Suns improved their chances short-term but hurt their chances long-term. To me, that seams like a reasonable take. I think almost everyone agrees that trading for Durant makes this team a legitimate title contender, assuming KD stays healthy. I think almost everyone agree that the Suns gave up a lot. Where the differences of oppinion come in is when people start weighting those two things against each other. I think you have to make this trade, but I can understand the hesitancy of other people.
Yes, but if they win a title the long term doesn't matter. Nobody is going to trade a title now because they may not get a shot for a spell after Durant leaves/retires. To me this statement only carries weight if the Suns don't get it done in the short-term. If they don't? It could hurt us but we only traded every other pick and this owner doesn't look like the type to stand still.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the trade for Bazley, I guess the Thunder were under the salary cap because they were able to absorb Saric’s $9.2 million expiring salary.

Bazley was only guaranteed $4.3 million in salary. Of course, the Suns included a second round pick.

It was a money saver for the Suns.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the trade for Bazley, I guess the Thunder were under the salary cap because they were able to absorb Saric’s $9.2 million expiring salary.

Bazley was only guaranteed $4.3 million in salary. Of course, the Suns included a second round pick.

It was a money saver for the Suns.

Yes it saved 20 million in luxury tax money

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it saved 20 million in luxury tax money

This is one of James Jones better trades, although it didn't get a lot of attention.

Unless the Thunder really liked Saric, the Suns save a boatload of money and acquire a young power forward on a good contract who they control as a restricted free agent.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
If I knew we'd be horrible for a decade after the championship, yeah I'm pretty sure I'd do it. And if I knew we were going to win a championship but might be horrible for a decade, I'd definitely do it.

And if I believed Durant was going to stay healthy often enough to lead us to a championship, regardless of what shape we'd be in afterwards, I'd do it. But the question marks surrounding Durant's health (plus the CP3 injury risks) alter the equation for me. At that point, not protecting the picks outweighs the improved odds Durant's acquisition gives us, IMO.
I have a feeling that Kyrie is not long for Dallas, i can see CP stepping away after this year. I dont know the salary issues but have heard rumblings that Kyrie wants to be in Phx/LA. The BKN owner did not want to send him where he wanted

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have a feeling that Kyrie is not long for Dallas, i can see CP stepping away after this year. I dont know the salary issues but have heard rumblings that Kyrie wants to be in Phx/LA. The BKN owner did not want to send him where he wanted
I think PHX winds up with D Lo next year if Paul calls it quits especially if he wins a title. LAL is going to pull all the stops to get Kyrie so D Lo & Book may finally get their wish to play together. Not sure how much of a pay cut D Lo would be willing to take but if Ishbia is willing to spend the money then it makes sense.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think PHX winds up with D Lo next year if Paul calls it quits especially if he wins a title. LAL is going to pull all the stops to get Kyrie so D Lo & Book may finally get their wish to play together. Not sure how much of a pay cut D Lo would be willing to take but if Ishbia is willing to spend the money then it makes sense.

Yuck. I hope not, I think D Lo is a bum. Super selfish, terrible decision maker, doesn't defend.

I think we should steer well clear of him.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Darius Bazley is healthy, correct? If so it makes you wonder about the JJ - Monty dynamic. I mean Monty was actually playing Saric, and JJ clearly/apparently considered Bazley to be an upgrade heading into the final stretch. I know I consider Bazley to be a better defender than Saric and Bazley can also hit the 3 iirc

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darius Bazley is healthy, correct? If so it makes you wonder about the JJ - Monty dynamic. I mean Monty was actually playing Saric, and JJ clearly/apparently considered Bazley to be an upgrade heading into the final stretch. I know I consider Bazley to be a better defender than Saric and Bazley can also hit the 3 iirc

I think the Saric trade was more about the Suns saving money.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Where is he supposed to play? He isn't getting minutes over Okogie and Craig.

He is only on the team because it saved us a ton on the luxury tax. Thus far in his career he has been a deeply negative player, only getting real PT while the Thunder were tanking.

If we do add another player off the buyout market, there is a good chance it will be Bazley who gets cut. Either him or Saben Lee.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Where is he supposed to play? He isn't getting minutes over Okogie and Craig.

He is only on the team because it saved us a ton on the luxury tax. Thus far in his career he has been a deeply negative player, only getting real PT while the Thunder were tanking.

If we do add another player off the buyout market, there is a good chance it will be Bazley who gets cut. Either him or Saben Lee.
A) Okogie isn't playing power forward
B) You've only named 1 power forward
C) Saric was playing power forward
D) Bazley > Saric @ power forward
E) All of the above

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A) Okogie isn't playing power forward
B) You've only named 1 power forward
C) Saric was playing power forward
D) Bazley > Saric @ power forward
E) All of the above

Bazley is not better than Saric, and we rarely played Saric. Okogie and Craig are basically interchangeable with the way we're using them.

I know every loves potential, but Bazley has been hot garbage thus far in his NBA career.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Bazley is not better than Saric, and we rarely played Saric. Okogie and Craig are basically interchangeable with the way we're using them.

I know every loves potential, but Bazley has been hot garbage thus far in his NBA career.
I like Saric but it's more of a sentimental like, I can see Bazley having more of an impact. We just disagree on this one

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Saric was a massive liability on defense. He can’t keep anybody in front of him. From what I have read Bazley is more athletic, quicker and a better defender.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Bazley should be the Suns backup SF/PF when KD or Josh come out Bazley should come in.
Bazley can play great on ball D and can hit the open three. He also is aggressive going to the rim.

Starters/ Bench

PG CP3/Payne/D Book
SG D Book/ D Lee/ T Ross
SF Josh O/ Bazley / T Ross
PF KD/ Bazley / Craig/ Landale
C Ayton / Bismack / Landale

Bazley is one of the Suns best players on D hopefully Monty finds him some mins.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bazley should be the Suns backup SF/PF when KD or Josh come out Bazley should come in.
Bazley can play great on ball D and can hit the open three. He also is aggressive going to the rim.

Starters/ Bench

PG CP3/Payne/D Book
SG D Book/ D Lee/ T Ross
SF Josh O/ Bazley / T Ross
PF KD/ Bazley / Craig/ Landale
C Ayton / Bismack / Landale

Bazley is one of the Suns best players on D hopefully Monty finds him some mins.

He hasn’t sniffed the floor yet. So probably not

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I think Ross is well ahead of Damion Lee in the rotation. Also I cannot see Bazley being in front of Craig, or Bizzy in front of Landale. Still, I would like to see him get some minutes.

Another thing, why can't Monty use Bizzy as an enforcer or 6 fouls when we get killed inside? The same with Ish. I miss the very short period when defense was our strong suit. Put Giannis and Luka on the line instead of letting them bulldoze to the basket.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Ross is well ahead of Damion Lee in the rotation. Also I cannot see Bazley being in front of Craig, or Bizzy in front of Landale. Still, I would like to see him get some minutes.

Another thing, why can't Monty use Bizzy as an enforcer or 6 fouls when we get killed inside? The same with Ish. I miss the very short period when defense was our strong suit. Put Giannis and Luka on the line instead of letting them bulldoze to the basket.

Monty is not a strategist. And that type of hard fouling behavior isn't tolerated by Monty (imo).

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It has been hard to say what is up with this guy. He has looked lost out there on both ends of the court. It looks like he just doesn't want to make a mistake, but playing so tentatively he makes the mistakes. I think the expectations are another thing as well going from a meddling team to a western conference favorite.

Or...is it coaching? Monty needs to figure things out. He can't give this guy 7 mins in the OKC game and expect any reasonable learning experience. It just seems that coaching should know the guys on the team by now and should have a gameplan of who they're going to be playing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose