Suns trade for PF Darius Bazley

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I’m agree with you, Steve’s entitled to his reasoning for watching and being a suns fan. Some just want the entertainment. Some (like me) enjoy the entertainment but are driven by the competition. I’m not embarrassed to say the suns have given me a basketball inferiority complex. I just need one to get rid of it.
Oh I agree. Everyone is entitled to their reasoning/opinion. From my perspective, yes I enjoy a fun team but we have had decades of "fun" teams that have not gotten it done. It's time.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I agree. Everyone is entitled to their reasoning/opinion. From my perspective, yes I enjoy a fun team but we have had decades of "fun" teams that have not gotten it done. It's time.
It has nothing to do with being a fun team. I want to win it all, but the year after they win it all I'll still be watching them play and hoping they win each game. And my only concern about this trade is what it does to our chances, or at least my opinion of our chances. Had this trade been for a pre-injury KD, I'd be as happy with the trade as all of you.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with being a fun team. I want to win it all, but the year after they win it all I'll still be watching them play and hoping they win each game. And my only concern about this trade is what it does to our chances, or at least my opinion of our chances. Had this trade been for a pre-injury KD, I'd be as happy with the trade as all of you.
You see fans the year after winning a title saying "nah, I don't care if they win now"???

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The post I responded to said pretty much that.
Ouchie left out the context… baseball is an EXTREMELY DISTANT third favorite sport of his. He ain’t falling off a cliff once the Suns or Cards finally win a title.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie left out the context… baseball is an EXTREMELY DISTANT third favorite sport of his. He ain’t falling off a cliff once the Suns or Cards finally win a title.
Maybe I missed the trail but I started on that point because of what Chap said, that he could care less if we were a G League team as long as we won one championship.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I missed the trail but I thought my point went back to what Chap said that he could care less if we were a G League team as long as we won one championship.
Ah. Yeah. Can’t speak for Chap, but I wouldn’t be that way. I’d definitely want more, but would have a little of that edge chipped off my shoulder.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The post I responded to said pretty much that.
I don't know of a single person that is going to stop caring because they win a title. I think you are talking a very very very very limited number of people. That's not how sports fans generally react.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know of a single person that is going to stop caring because they win a title. I think you are talking a very very very very limited number of people. That's not how sports fans generally react.
Again, I was just responding to a specific statement that said exactly that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Maybe I missed the trail but I started on that point because of what Chap said, that he could care less if we were a G League team as long as we won one championship.
Wow I guess hyperbole and exaggeration is lost here. I pretty much assumed everyone would get the gist. I was wrong.

If you were guaranteed a championship but the next ten years would be terrible, would you take that? I know what I’d do.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bazley is a fantastic prospect at age 22. That's about all you can ask for. He has the measurements and the skills.

Maybe the Suns can find a mentor to work with him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow I guess hyperbole and exaggeration is lost here. I pretty much assumed everyone would get the gist. I was wrong.

If you were guaranteed a championship but the next ten years would be terrible, would you take that? I know what I’d do.
If I knew we'd be horrible for a decade after the championship, yeah I'm pretty sure I'd do it. And if I knew we were going to win a championship but might be horrible for a decade, I'd definitely do it.

And if I believed Durant was going to stay healthy often enough to lead us to a championship, regardless of what shape we'd be in afterwards, I'd do it. But the question marks surrounding Durant's health (plus the CP3 injury risks) alter the equation for me. At that point, not protecting the picks outweighs the improved odds Durant's acquisition gives us, IMO.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Take it without a microsecond of hesitation.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

But it's not a guarantee.

I think there is a real argument that our overall title odds in the next 10 years didn't improve.

Yeah, they improved for the next 2 or 3 years, but the next 7 after that, the odds for those years are decimated.

I don't want to sound too negative... I don't hate it, but I wouldn't have done it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
But it's not a guarantee.

I think there is a real argument that our overall title odds in the next 10 years didn't improve.

Yeah, they improved for the next 2 or 3 years, but the next 7 after that, the odds for those years are decimated.

I don't want to sound too negative... I don't hate it, but I wouldn't have done it.
That reasoning doesn't make sense. You won’t take a great chance at a championship in the next 3 years because you might not be able to get one in 10 years? That’s the kind of attitude that made us a title-less contender for 40 years.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That reasoning doesn't make sense. You won’t take a great chance at a championship in the next 3 years because you might not be able to get one in 10 years? That’s the kind of attitude that made us a title-less contender for 40 years.

That isn't what I meant. I am saying our odds of winning a title WITHIN the next 10 years, I don't think are improved.

We had a strong core that was, easily, going to be in the mix for years, we also had a lot of flexibility to add onto that core.

That is gone now, we've got a few years to try to win it and then things are going to get pretty lean, unless we pull some brilliant front office work.

We boosted our odds in the next couple years, destroyed our chances beyond that.

Pokinmik

Rookie
Reaction score
Destroyed our chances beyond KDs career? No we didn’t. You don’t understand this league one bit if you think that.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I don't think anyone is saying that. I believe that the argument is that the Suns improved their chances short-term but hurt their chances long-term. To me, that seams like a reasonable take. I think almost everyone agrees that trading for Durant makes this team a legitimate title contender, assuming KD stays healthy. I think almost everyone agree that the Suns gave up a lot. Where the differences of oppinion come in is when people start weighting those two things against each other. I think you have to make this trade, but I can understand the hesitancy of other people.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Nets were 17-2 in the last 19 with KD..... his injury was someone rolling up on him not just jogging down the court. The video leaks from practice also looks like he is ready to go just taking advantage of the timing with allstar weekend. KDs game translates well for a dedicated aging athlete. Now a 35 year old DA id different, he will be done when his health/athleticism goes away

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nets were 17-2 in the last 19 with KD..... his injury was someone rolling up on him not just jogging down the court. The video leaks from practice also looks like he is ready to go just taking advantage of the timing with allstar weekend. KDs game translates well for a dedicated aging athlete. Now a 35 year old DA id different, he will be done when his health/athleticism goes away
I don't disagree with a single thing here but you're ignoring not just his age but his age relative to the career trajectory for pro athletes that have had a surgically repaired Achilles.

There isn't a whole lot of data on it for high performance athletes but what there is shows that it typically ends the athlete's career sooner than normally expected and that the athlete will be prone to additional lower limb injuries along the way. And then you have to factor in that we're already dealing with one aging star player that is high injury risk. Add to that the fact that Booker hasn't exactly been Cal Ripken either. We justifiably have high hopes but the risks are also sky high.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have been watching this argument/discussion. Not sure if the proposed alternatives are realistic. I do know this. The reason we are here right now is because the Suns finally bit the bullet and we're willing to be bad and build through the draft. I loved Jerry Colangelo but he never had the patience to do this. Every piece of that trade save Crowder was our own draft capital. And so are Ayton and Booker. We won't have opportunity to do that again until the 2030's unless we go into rebuild mode and trade Book and Ayton for a basket of picks.

But KD is a top 12 player all time. It's rolling the dice big time. We are now like the Lakers. We are dependent upon free agents for the next 8 years.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose