Our new head coach can’t win.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a shame. No matter who we hire 1/2 of us won’t even give them a chance. No matter who we hire it will be deemed our 12th choice.
Hire the OC and we are going to point as a rookie head coach. What has he done? The comparisons to Kliff will linger.
Hire the DC and once again he will be a rookie head coach. Here we go again.

I believe VJ will be retained as our DC as will most of his staff. If we hire the Aramona he will look weak right off the bat by not demanding his own staff. How is he going to develop Murray? But we will be told about how VJ’s familiarity will be a benefit and of course our new head coach will be 100% on board with this.
If we hire Kafka he too will look weak accepting the current staff. There will be less questions on the future development of Kyler. It will appear to be set up just like it was with Kliff where Kafka will focus on the offense and let VJ do his thing.
We have dissected this hunt every which way. If VJ is “ forced” on the new head coach I think it will be scrutinized as a big reason why the experienced head coach candidates went in another direction, true or not.
I really feel bad for the guy that’s hired. Most will look at this a mistake. Many will not be looking without a preconceived opinion.
Even though many of us deem this season as a down year we will forget all about that belief as the losses pile up. We will regurgitate the “I knew this guy sucks” narrative. We will forget about the ineptitude of Kingsbury and some will say we should have kept Kingsbury especially if we lose early with a couple of blowouts.
If Payton was named our head coach he would get a LOT more leeway than either one of the 2 candidates remaining.
Sorry, but as fans we are brutal. We will not be satisfied with Incremental improvements. It’s just reality. If we are 2-6 at the halfway point of the season, many will start digging the grave.
The new guy is not going to start on top of the rock. Much of the media and many of the fans will put him under the rock.
Listen to the radio. Read this forum. The new guy doesn’t stand a chance.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody is our 12th choice.

The only guy you can seriously say we made a play for was Payton and he was actually the Broncos 4th choice.

Quinn turned down everyone and the 2nd interview thing was overblown. His first "interview" was only for an hour over zoom. It was more a chat. The face to face was his first real interview.

Ryans was like our 5th or 6th request and was never a serious contender for anyone but the Texans. He actually did turn down the Broncos.

Reich went off the board early and it didn't seem like we were hot for him.

Flores was again not offered, he was just in play as a potential option and I don't think it would have been him had he not.

I don't think speaking to guys that ultimately do something else makes who we do go with 3rd or 5th choice.

I do agree this fan base is brutal. I for one will support whoever takes over and give them every opportunity to succeed that I can. Including living with their rookie mistakes. I don't know why anyone wouldn't.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The only guy you can seriously say we made a play for was Payton and he was actually the Broncos 4th choice.

Quinn turned down everyone and the 2nd interview thing was overblown. His first "interview" was only for an hour over zoom. It was more a chat. The face to face was his first real interview.

Ryans was like our 5th or 6th request and was never a serious contender for anyone but the Texans. He actually did turn down the Broncos.

Reich went off the board early and it didn;t seem like we were hot for him.

Flores was again not offered, he was just in play as a potential option and I don;t think it would have been him had he not.

I don't think speaking to guys that ultimately do something else makes who we do go with 3rd or 5th choice.

I do agree this fan base is brutal. I for one will support whoever takes over and give them every opportunity to succeed that I can. Including living with their rookie mistakes. I don't know why anyone wouldn't.
Agree with you that the fan base here is brutal. I did want Payton but he turned us down. None of the rest really excited me, I did like Flores util I saw an interview with him when he was HC of the Dolphins on YouTube. Sorry but he certainly was not very impressive. I can live with either Kafka or Anarumo. Who the coaches are under them is speculative as none of us really know.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Reich went off the board early and it didn;t seem like we were hot for him.

Flores was again not offered, he was just in play as a potential option.

Okay Brit you are entitled to your opinion. HOWEVER, the perception of the fanbase and the media are looking at this as our 12th choice.
You pretend to know the narrative between the interviews. Quinn and Ryans might have believed right off the bat they wanted nothing to do with this organization. Flores even though he was being brought in for a second interview declined to be a DC.
Read the room Brit. It’s not pretty. The timeline for our remaining candidates sheds a poor light on things and it paints them in a negative way. Maybe either candidate will turn out to be the smartest thing Bidwill and MO ever did. But at the moment it appears to be a sad situation. ADD retaining VJ and this going to be a media ( and fans) disaster.
Perception is reality until proven otherwise.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It’s a shame. No matter who we hire 1/2 of us won’t even give them a chance. No matter who we hire it will be deemed our 12th choice.
Hire the OC and we are going to point as a rookie head coach. What has he done? The comparisons to Kliff will linger.

I believe VJ will be retained as our DC as will most of his staff. If we hire the Aramona he will look weak right off the bat by not demanding his own staff. How is he going to develop Murray? But we will be told about how VJ’s familiarity will be a benefit and of course our new head coach will be 100% on board with this.
If we hire Kafka he too will look weak accepting the current staff. There will be less questions on the future development of Kyler. It will appear to be set up just like it was with Kliff where Kafka will focus on the offense and let VJ do his thing.
We have dissected this hunt every which way. If VJ is “ forced” on the new head coach I think it will be scrutinized as a big reason why the experienced head coach candidates went in another direction, true or not.
I really feel bad for the guy that’s hired. Most will look at this a mistake. Many will not be looking without a preconceived opinion.
Even though many of us deem this season as a down year we will forget all about that belief as the losses pile up. We will regurgitate the “I knew this guy sucks” narrative. We will forget about the ineptitude of Kingsbury and some will say we should have kept Kingsbury especially if we lose early with a couple of blowouts.
If Payton was named our head coach he would get a LOT more leeway than either one of the 2 candidates remaining.
Sorry, but as fans we are brutal. We will not be satisfied with Incremental improvements. It’s just reality. If we are 2-6 at the halfway point of the season, many will start digging the grave.
The new guy is not going to start on top of the rock. Much of the media and many of the fans will put him under the rock.
I agree. Even if it is the unintended consequence of how the HC search was done, both of these candidates will seem like leftover choices. Neither were on the initial wave interview requests. Neither have HC experience. Neither have a glowing resume.

I also agree that this will be exacerbated if Vance is retained as DC. Even more as our OLB coach has taken a position elsewhere.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agree with all of this. The guy may be a great coach. I’m giving whomever it is the benefit of the doubt because I know so little about either to make a true statement based on facts. Anyone really saying anything other than that just isn’t being honest unless they’ve actually gone back and watched every single one of their games historically like we do the cardinals.

That said, it’s the organizations process that truly deserves ridicule for all the reasons that have been stated ad nauseum.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with all of this. The guy may be a great coach. I’m giving whomever it is the benefit of the doubt because I know so little about either to make a true statement based on facts. Anyone really saying anything other than that just isn’t being honest unless they’ve actually gone back and watched every single one of their games historically like we do the cardinals.

That said, it’s the organizations process that truly deserves ridicule for all the reasons that have been stated ad nauseum.
Well said. Many of us will at least give the new guy a chance no matter what the perception is. Losing early and often will bring the perception to a head. The fans and the media will have a pot of boiling oil already going before the first game mainly because of this hiring fiasco.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
it is going to be tough to win in 2023 regardless of whoever the HC is or would have been. We will have a backup qb for a lot of the season. Kafka may be the savior for Kyler but not for 2023. Anaraumo may improve the defense but our offense will still suck. We can only hope that we are developing some good young core players and be be a decent team in 2024. This is not a point I'm making to be argumentative it is what I feel is reality. Keim did not build a quality team and it will take a while to turn it around.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Agree 100% unless the new coach is one the Eagle guys. Unless, of course, VJ is somehow retained. Then Michael be damned. All Michael has to do is remove the stench of VJ & I think people will get onboard with whoever the choice is. And, for the record, I’m fine with another top 5 pick next year. MO needs to slash this wimpy roster to the bone & start all over. If that means winning 1 game, so be it. The more trash we keep, the longer the rebuild will take.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree 100% unless the new coach is one the Eagle guys. Unless, of course, VJ is somehow retained. Then Michael be damned. All Michael has to do is remove the stench of VJ & I think people will get onboard with whoever the choice is. And, for the record, I’m fine with another top 5 pick next year. MO needs to slash this wimpy roster to the bone & start all over. If that means winning 1 game, so be it. The more trash we keep, the longer the rebuild will take.
Most would agree. But remember Bidwill’s belief. That being we are not as bad as people think.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
As the noted philosopher @TRW has said:

This is the Way
Anytime you have the chance to retain a guy that can lead you to a bottom 5 D and criminally misuse first round talent, you lock him up!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anytime you have the chance to retain a guy that can lead you to a bottom 5 D and criminally misuse first round talent, you lock him up!
And was originally foisted upon the last coach by a clueless and out of control drunk GM.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

Reich went off the board early and it didn't seem like we were hot for him.

Flores was again not offered, he was just in play as a potential option and I don't think it would have been him had he not.

Agree.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure to an extent but at the end of the day who you hire matters more than HOW you hired them.

If we get the football equivalent of Mick Cronin or Tommy LLoyd by taking our time, that's great. If we wind up with another guy out of left field like Kliff was, then yes it will be panned.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose