Cardinals looking to trade Hopkins in offseason

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 teams I say have no chance at him are Buffalo and the Ravens. unless Lamar leaves there is no way the Ravens would pay a WR that much and no way an elite WR would choose a team where he's going to have to block for runs more than half the time. Buffalo unless they move Diggs there's no way theyr'e going to have Diggs AND D Hop, too much money in the position and too much ego. They're still dealing with Diggs' yelling at Allen in the playoff loss the last thing that team would want, IMO, is another WR who wants the ball on every play.

Note I don't have an issue with D Hop I love the guy but he's very much like Diggs I'm open throw me the ball. It's hard to keep 2 guys like that happy.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
2 teams I say have no chance at him are Buffalo and the Ravens. unless Lamar leaves there is no way the Ravens would pay a WR that much and no way an elite WR would choose a team where he's going to have to block for runs more than half the time. Buffalo unless they move Diggs there's no way theyr'e going to have Diggs AND D Hop, too much money in the position and too much ego. They're still dealing with Diggs' yelling at Allen in the playoff loss the last thing that team would want, IMO, is another WR who wants the ball on every play.

Note I don't have an issue with D Hop I love the guy but he's very much like Diggs I'm open throw me the ball. It's hard to keep 2 guys like that happy.
Hopkins and Diggs actually compliment each other well. Also, the Bills throw the ball a lot.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Does most here WANT to trade Hopkins?
I do. We aint there and Hop aint getting younger. we need to sell while there is still value, otherwise we watch this year be wasted,... then after next season he is leaving anyway.
we need draft capital to bring in younger players.

in all honesty .... hell, call KC and offer Hop and a 4th for Creed, lol.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea he’s on the wrong side of 31 at the beginning of this season and is also showing signs of injuries creeping in. This next year is a wasted season 10000% so why not unload him?

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yea he’s on the wrong side of 31 at the beginning of this season and is also showing signs of injuries creeping in. This next year is a wasted season 10000% so why not unload him?
Agree, next year reset for the most part. If KM wasn’t injured then maybe you keep Dhop one more year. This team needs to learn to trade players at the right time.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
This team needs to learn to trade players at the right time.
I have been saying that for years on here, and have gotten mostly criticism about trading our better players. Who else are you going to trade that anyone would give you much for? You have to give up some guys when the cost does´t justify what you had been paying them a few years prior.

Within a couple years right after they peaked is when you can get the best return for them, and when they are costing you the most to keep. Can´t wait for their production to go down. Timing is everything.

Now I have to admit 2 things. One is that you should not break up a championship caliber team. And second, you need someone who knows how to draft and replace these better players with the correct picks. Neither of which we have had for quite a while.

Our GM has been doing it totally backwards. He has acquired once good players for big dollars when they are close to retiring and their bodies have begun to break down every couple games and they miss large parts of the couple seasons we have paid them for.

To me if you are not a playoff and championship caliber team, you should be building for one. And that generally means freeing cap space and acquiring draft picks, so you can build up to your next championship push. I would always be progressing through one of 3 stages of a 8-10 year cycle.

Stage I, 2-3 years - Post-peak years signal the coming Acquisition Period, still winning, just not as much (begin to unload, acquire picks, & free up cap space)

Stage II, 2-3 years - Re-Build Period through draft & FA, the .500 and below years (put new pieces in place: training, developing, filling holes, team improving/playing as one/learning to win)

Stage III, 4-6 years - Super Bowl Run begins with finishing touches, the playoff years (coming together as team, players beginning to peak, fulfilling the dream)

The 2023 Cardinals are obviously at year 1 of Stage II above.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No but his contract next year is a massive handcuff.

Also, I think the reason he wants out is due to a breakdown with Kyler. We've seen them arguing on the sidelines and I think there is a problem there. Maybe it can be fixed but maybe not.

This combined with his massive cap hit and the fact that next year is probably a write off suggests it's best to move on and recoup something while we can.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I do. We aint there and Hop aint getting younger. we need to sell while there is still value, otherwise we watch this year be wasted,... then after next season he is leaving anyway.
we need draft capital to bring in younger players.

in all honesty .... hell, call KC and offer Hop and a 4th for Creed, lol.
I would do bad things to get KC to make this trade lol

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Not sure if you trade him or not. He was as good as any WR in the league when he returned. Plus, look at the WR room if he's gone:
Brown- meh
Moore-trash
Green/Anderson-gone
Dortch-ok, but not scaring anybody.

Keeping Hopkins makes all those guys better. It'd have to be a great offer to get him. I heard on NFLN Radio(I think), that they thought the Cards could get a Davante Adams type deal for Hopkins. I don't think that's the case but I would do that in a second.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dhop is our best offensive player if we have someone to get him the ball.

Using him effectively in the first half of the upcoming season is problematic.

Given this... trade him!

If they don't, they can adjust his contract and gain $9m in Cap relief for 2023.

(Yes, yes, I know it kicks the dead money down the road.)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Not sure if you trade him or not. He was as good as any WR in the league when he returned. Plus, look at the WR room if he's gone:
Brown- meh
Moore-trash
Green/Anderson-gone
Dortch-ok, but not scaring anybody.

Keeping Hopkins makes all those guys better. It'd have to be a great offer to get him. I heard on NFLN Radio(I think), that they thought the Cards could get a Davante Adams type deal for Hopkins. I don't think that's the case but I would do that in a second.
So you'd like to cling onto an aging star for a year where we're going to suck anyway, then later get no compensation for him?

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
With his no trade clause, he's not going anywhere without a new deal, IMO. Do you think Jax is gonna pony up for him, after Kirk? He'll command a sizable amount more.
Uhm i think last years injury and this years suspension takes leverage away. I believe he wants out and is worried about his legacy. If he gets on a team with a legit QB and not a scared midget he will get his numbers and his $. Probably just need to get part of his remaining contract Guaranteed

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. Let’s trade him. Do we draft another Wr? How do we replace him. How about Darius Slayton?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you'd like to cling onto an aging star for a year where we're going to suck anyway, then later get no compensation for him?

It's called the Chandler Jones effect

We should have traded him after he recovered from his bicep injury from 2020. Had we done so, we likely use that money to resign Reddick.

If we trade 30 year old Hopkins before a season that's going to be a struggle with an injured Kyler we can use the compensation to draft a replacement and have a 21 year old WR instead of a 30 year old one.

What's the point of owning Ferrari if you're living in a cardboard box?