Cardinals looking to trade Hopkins in offseason

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
He has a no trade clause that might have been voided by suspension and he's over 30 with a big cap hit. He'll likely be traded.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup. Trade while possible stock is “high”
If we are taking on 20+ million of dead cap to trade him - we can't do it. His production level is to high to take that much of a penalty.

QuebecCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we are taking on 20+ million of dead cap to trade him - we can't do it. His production level is to high to take that much of a penalty.

It's $22m and disappears in one League year, and we gain $8.1m Cap space for this upcoming season.

As it stands, we can't manage his $30m Cap hit for this season. So to keep him, you either restructure or rip up the present deal, and in the end, you are just putting off the 'dead' money pain.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is any coach that comes here isn’t going to be to happy about getting rid of Hopkins.
If Payton comes here I think Hopkins would be rejuvenated and excited even without Murray missing the first 7-8 games.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My guess is any coach that comes here isn’t going to be to happy about getting rid of Hopkins.
If Payton comes here I think Hopkins would be rejuvenated and excited even without Murray missing the first 7-8 games.
Not having healthy Michael Thomas frustrated Payton as well. He's going to want a #1 caliber wr.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dhop costs $30M against the cap this year if he is on the team.

If they trade him that goes down to $22M against the cap and they actually gain about $8M to use elsewhere.

While his production level might still be great over the next couple of years, it is looking more and more likely that he doesn't want to be here. Also if the Cardinals are trying to change the culture it's probably better to move on and at least get something for him. I'd take that extra cap savings and a draft pick to get younger and build for the future. Next year is a a wash anyways.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

If they trade him that goes down to $22M against the cap and they actually gain about $8M to use elsewhere.

While his production level might still be great over the next couple of years, it is looking more and more likely that he doesn't want to be here. Also if the Cardinals are trying to change the culture it's probably better to move on and at least get something for him. I'd take that extra cap savings and a draft pick to get younger and build for the future. Next year is a a wash anyways.
No idea why people are willing to put bigger and more $ on the books for the future for Dhop. when he's not going to be worth it then and we'll recoup nothing when we get rid of him. I mean, I'd get it if we had a shot at relevance last season, but we don't.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I'd only trade him for a fairly premium pick.

The problem I have is that this WR class isn't that good. You're not going to find a replacement player.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

The problem I have is that this WR class isn't that good. You're not going to find a replacement player.
We already have a replacement player on the roster.

A man by the name of Rondale Moore.

I have it on very good authority that he is ready to break out.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not having healthy Michael Thomas frustrated Payton as well. He's going to want a #1 caliber wr.

He can have Michael Thomas. He recently restructured his deal so he can be traded or cut before March.

QuebecCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

At the risk of being flammed: We'll be cutting Anderson to save $12m against the Cap.

Offer him a one-year $3m deal with incentives, which gives him a chance to get back on track.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At the risk of being flammed: We'll be cutting Anderson to save $12m against the Cap.

Offer him a one-year $3m deal with incentives, which gives him a chance to get back on track.

You're only as good as your last 6 games. All previous production must be discounted...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There is no reason to trade Hopkins just to trade Hopkins. I think that gets lost in this discussion. Should you trade him for a 1st round pick? Absolutely. Should you trade him for a 4th round pick? Absolutely not.

Marquise Brown is a similar situation. Anything 3rd round or better should be considered for him based upon his age, upcoming contract and the comp pick process.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
There is no reason to trade Hopkins just to trade Hopkins. I think that gets lost in this discussion. Should you trade him for a 1st round pick? Absolutely. Should you trade him for a 4th round pick? Absolutely not.

Marquise Brown is a similar situation. Anything 3rd round or better should be considered for him based upon his age, upcoming contract and the comp pick process.
Agreed. It's predicated on a good deal. Like NE offers picks including a 2nd. That's only if you decide not to use him. If you decide to keep him; reload.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Yep, I'm looking for AT LEAST a 2nd round pick for Hopkins, but I would probably want more. A 2nd and a 4th probably gets it done for me.

Hollywood I'd go with a 3rd rounder, but would likely want an additional pick as well.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep, I'm looking for AT LEAST a 2nd round pick for Hopkins, but I would probably want more. A 2nd and a 4th probably gets it done for me.

Hollywood I'd go with a 3rd rounder, but would likely want an additional pick as well.

Antonia Brown was traded at 30 years old, same as Hopkins, for a 3rd and a 5th.

The difference was that Brown had months of crazy **** with the Steelers prior and were desperate to move him, and AB wanted a fat new deal which at the time made him the highest paid WR in the league.

Any trade for Nuk would made him CHEAP for his new team.

The bare minimum is a 2nd and 3rd for me.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Antonia Brown was traded at 30 years old, same as Hopkins, for a 3rd and a 5th.

The difference was that Brown had months of crazy **** with the Steelers prior and were desperate to move him, and AB wanted a fat new deal which at the time made him the highest paid WR in the league.

Any trade for Nuk would made him CHEAP for his new team.

The bare minimum is a 2nd and 3rd for me.
I'd really want a 1st and a 4th for Hopkins since the Cardinals will take a good cap hit as well and Hopkins should be productive for a few more years.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'd really want a 1st and a 4th for Hopkins since the Cardinals will take a good cap hit as well and Hopkins should be productive for a few more years.
Leak the rumor of a 1 and a 2 being the price...see if the phone rings

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr