Cardinals Hire Titans' Monti Ossenfort as New GM

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am saying VJ is the weakest and laziest move, Flores is lazy... but basically I am throwing my toys out the pram as it looks like Sean is slipping away
SP was always wishfil thinking. We never had a chance.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Still feels weird that MO left an organization looking for a GM.

You must be registered for see images attach

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was surprised to learn that we have only had 9 GM's in the history of the franchise.
Most of them look like they were hired from inside the organization (except Buddy Ryan).
43 head coaches (once the new person is hired).

Maybe we should have went with rehiring Ray Bennigsen instead of Ossenfort.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The other thing that comes to mind is that if you hire a Demeco Ryans and like three QBs at the top of this draft, you have to consider stripping this thing down to the studs and moving forward with one of them. I am not saying it is the best route, but the path forward is MUCH easier with a QB on a rookie deal than a underperforming one on a bad deal.

Rolling forward with CJ Stroud, Bryce Young or Will Levis, having them beat out McCoy, and having a ton of money to improve the roster is just much simpler to do than figuring out Kyler Murray.

Not saying it will get you better results, but it is much simpler.
@kerouac9 A question on the "thumbs down". Do you disagree that it is a simpler path forward or that it would be the best option.

I look at like building a house vs renovating a house. It can be easier starting from scratch than trying to figure out and fix what someone else has already done.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score

It looks like we were ready commit and Tennessee wasn't done with their process yet, what would you have done - turned down AZ for the chance at a TEN job still interviewing their candidates?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You can either take the job offer you have, or you can sit around while the Titans make up their mind and possibly wind up with no job if they don't pick you. I can see it from his point of view.

Can also see why a team wants to do multiple interviews. Maybe they even have to with NFL labor rules?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
It looks like we were ready commit and Tennessee wasn't done with their process yet, what would you have done - turned down AZ for the chance at a TEN job still interviewing their candidates?

You can either take the job offer you have, or you can sit around while the Titans make up their mind and possibly wind up with no job if they don't pick you. I can see it from his point of view.

Good points. I would take the sure thing as well.

I was thinking more about why they would allow him to leave if he is that good. Not saying he isn't of course but sounds like they want to go in a different direction.

The first three things they want is what we think we got in MO. The collaboration statement is interesting.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score

Since one of the remaining 3 finalists was an internal candidate (Interim GM Cowden), Ossinfort may have figured he did not have the inside track for the job, so he applied elsewhere.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The parts about accountability is what intrigues me. One thing about this franchise historically has been the institutional laziness. This reared it’s head even worse under Kliff/Keim.
And we all know where it starts...

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am hopeful about Monti, although I can’t help feeling that we should have stollen a VP from a successful team not someone who was overlooked for a job at his current team. I so hope he is the prodigal son

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
MB always seems to fight the last war. In this, he's trying to find the anti-Keim.

The good news (there won't be a bad back end), from my perspective, is that this guy seems very accountable, very detailed, goes out of his way to make a connection, and doesn't sound like he's trying to sell us a bill of goods. He also comes across as someone who really feels and will bleed Cardinal red. He seems genuine. Keim sometimes seemed to project this aura of infallibility.

Mo obviously believes in his 'process and system' (I think this will be the thing we always hear)

I like him. I think he nailed the presser. As others said, he seemed nervous and twitchy, even a little goofy, but I liked it.

We'll see the results. I hope his intuition is as good as his process and system. He clearly places much trust in them, as that's been what's worked for him.

Sounds like we'll be overhauling how our scouts work, so we'll see how much turnover there is after the draft. I liked how scouts will be given a voice to inform coaches about what's out there that will fit. Don't know if we've been doing that. But makes sense if all are involved in identifying help, rather than ?maybe? just Keim taking something under advisement?

Watching the video posted yesterday on the Pats scouts, I liked the idea of matching how they coach technique with the schemes and how they scout someone and see what their traits are (and maybe how they were coached)? I think that with the paragraph above meshes well, especially if it's extended to the fa wire.

I agree with those saying there's a good chance we trade down at some point this year and in future years.

Whether by skill or luck (who's kidding, with MB it's luck), we might have found a credible and solid GM.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I am hopeful about Monti, although I can’t help feeling that we should have stollen a VP from a successful team not someone who was overlooked for a job at his current team. I so hope he is the prodigal son
Titans have a history of success....and he wasn't overlooked by his own team. He took the job that was offered. Maybe he likes getting away and having authority to create something all his own? Anyone who gets the Titans job isn't getting their own coach (not that there's anything inherently wrong with Vrabel) and I can see most wanting to go all in with building a program.

OE_Thunder

Rookie
Reaction score
Titans Last 5 records:

2018: 9-7
2019: 9-7
2020: 11-5 (This is the year Monti Ossenfort was hired)
2021: 12-6
2022: 7-10

Pretty successful team in my eyes.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose