Cardinals Hire Titans' Monti Ossenfort as New GM

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Where can I hear and view this interview? The link to YouTube in a prior post has been removed?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I was surprised to learn that we have only had 9 GM's in the history of the franchise.
Most of them look like they were hired from inside the organization (except Buddy Ryan).
43 head coaches (once the new person is hired).

You must be registered for see images attach

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I was surprised to learn that we have only had 9 GM's in the history of the franchise.
Most of them look like they were hired from inside the organization (except Buddy Ryan).
43 head coaches (once the new person is hired).

You must be registered for see images attach
Unlike the Steelers and their lack of coaches, this is a very bad show of continuity. Can't believe the old man was GM for 20 years!

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thx. It took me awhile to find the beginning of the interview. Not until 15 minutes have gone by before they walk in.

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody here can claim this a great move or a pee poor move.
It will be interesting if he tears this thing apart.
Frankly, I think a full tear down would be appropriate. It’s not like that means 6 years of desolation any longer. This roster is so poorly built that Monti should take a flamethrower to it and start over.

2023 is going to be a waste so it is perfect for him to start over. The fanbase will be patient in 2023 and 2024 especially if it is clear is is building this the right way

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brian Flores seems to have an ego based on the interview I mentioned above. He was asked what he would have done differently (looking back at time in Miami) and he said nothing. He has his way and that's that. Paraphrasing of course. Tomlin's interview was the opposite of that IMO, which is why he has been successful for years.
This is important to emphasize imo. It's why a guy like Payton is important to target and pursue hard. Payton has the knack of adapting and changing as the league and schemes/guys change. The fellas on the Fox pregame show even mentioned it about him while he was on set discussing it the other day.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Frankly, I think a full tear down would be appropriate. It’s not like that means 6 years of desolation any longer. This roster is so poorly built that Monti should take a flamethrower to it and start over.

2023 is going to be a waste so it is perfect for him to start over. The fanbase will be patient in 2023 and 2024 especially if it is clear is is building this the right way
Imagine the irony... We hire Flores and tear the roster down.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One flaw in our thinking is assuming that only one coaching approach will lead us to the promised land.

Review the past 10 - 20 Super Bowl winners and their approaches to coaching/mgt. and you’ll discover a vast array of personalties, styles and strategies. There‘s no single way.

Results are probably the one thing we can hang our hats on. This involves consistent execution of leadership skills, smart strategic thinking and more than a little bit of Luck - all under an umbrella that‘s generous toward various approaches - & equally as stingy.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a fair point although I doubt many 22 year olds think much past Brady, BB, dynasty and superbowls. Hard to turn that down for the Texans.
I read an article once that most UDFA sign almost strictly based on who gives them the largest SB…. It was several years ago. I doubt it’s changed much.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The 'teardown', so to speak, has been done.

Take a look at the number of contracts the Cards still have presently with projected 2022 starters.

We are in the rebuild and buildup phase at this point.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I think Mike fumbled the Deandre Hopkins trade question - that was a bunch of nothing that came out of his mouth. No poker face and he should have said something - "we love Deandre Hopkins - he is one of the best WR's in the NFL". That can be read as support or bumping up trade value. What he said was weak gibberish.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is such a mountain for an inexperienced GM.

Navigate a meddling owner.

Navigate a underperforming QB on a huge contract.

Find a HC.

Navigate the trade of a 30 year old WR who is also you best offensive player.

Figure out what to do with a young WR the previous GM gave up a 1st rounder for, who is friends with the QB, had a criminal issue previous off-season, and had a down year.

Replace four starting OL.

Build a defensive line out of nothing.
Oooof.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Mike fumbled the Deandre Hopkins trade question - that was a bunch of nothing that came out of his mouth. No poker face and he should have said something - "we love Deandre Hopkins - he is one of the best WR's in the NFL". That can be read as support or bumping up trade value. What he said was weak gibberish.
He fumbles almost everything he touches. Born and raised in loserville.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bye DeAndre.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
If we hire Flores because Monti knows him it will be a very lazy hire. Especially if a coach with a proven winning history escapes us.
Granted the vast majority of them were with Brady/Bellicheck, but in Brian Flores' 20 year career as a coach, 19 of them resulted in winning records... and 2 of his 3 years in Miami resulted in winning records and he somehow helped the god awful Steelers to a winning record this year.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
If we hire Flores because Monti knows him it will be a very lazy hire. Especially if a coach with a proven winning history escapes us.

I disagree. I am not saying hire Flores but it's about relationships/trust/results. They both have the same philosophy, so I don't think its lazy.

Lazy would be hiring VJ.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I disagree. I am not saying hire Flores but it's about relationships/trust/results. They both have the same philosophy, so I don't think its lazy.

Lazy would be hiring VJ.

I am saying VJ is the weakest and laziest move, Flores is lazy... but basically I am throwing my toys out the pram as it looks like Sean is slipping away

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose