Cardinals Hire Titans' Monti Ossenfort as New GM

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
lol def not used to the big stage of being up front and center. A bit of that "deer in the headlights" look to him. I was hoping for someone seasoned and strong willed to run things his way and make Mike take a back seat but Im afraid Mike will be pulling the strings with his new GM puppet until hopefully a seasoned no nonsense HC is hired.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, for the most part, GM experience either means: 1) you are so good at it you never need another job or 2) you did a bad job.

Yeah, like a successful GM would make a lateral move to the Cardinals.. Haha sure they would.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
lol def not used to the big stage of being up front and center. A bit of that "deer in the headlights" look to him. I was hoping for someone seasoned and strong willed to run things his way and make Mike take a back seat but Im afraid Mike will be pulling the strings with his new GM puppet until hopefully a seasoned no nonsense HC is hired.

Jeez. The guys likely not been in front of the camera much.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Public speaking is difficult and near top of the list of fears, let alone in front media and a camera, which of course has nothing to do with his actual job. It takes time to get warmed up to it and honestly it wasn't that bad.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Public speaking is difficult and near top of the list of fears, let alone in front media and a camera, which of course has nothing to do with his actual job. It takes time to get warmed up to it and honestly it wasn't that bad.
He could have went full Kyler on the Dan Patrick show...

Morty

Veteran
Reaction score
Because current GMs who are great at personnel aren’t looking for new jobs.
Thanks Harry for the answer. I suppose it is true for coaches too!

I never realized how difficult it is for an owner to create a great management team. They can only look for the qualities that have worked in the past.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is tough to have a strong opinion on this guy tbh because a great deal of his success will be determined by others. If he hires Vance Joseph, it is likely that this guy gets fired with Vance. If they can't fix Kyler and he can't figure out the QB, he gets fired. If he lets Bidwill meddle, he probably gets fired. If he doesn't let Bidwill meddle, he may also get fired. HIs margin for error is so minimal that all he has is his vision and a 3 year window to get the right coach and QB.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It is tough to have a string opinion on this guy tbh because a great deal of his success will be determined by others. If he hires Vance Joseph, it is likely that this guy gets fired with Vance. If they can't fix Kyler and he can't figure out the QB, he gets fired. If he lets Bidwill meddle, he probably gets fired. If he doesn't let Bidwill meddle, he may also get fired. HIs margin for error is so minimal that all he has is his vision and a 3 year window to get the right coach and QB.

I think he can outlast Kyler and possibly a HC if it doesn't work out short term as long as other things are good. He's super "young" so I think MB was looking for long term GM and will allow him some room to grow. Besides, Kyler wasn't exactly his pick and his job shouldn't be tied to that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It is tough to have a strong opinion on this guy tbh because a great deal of his success will be determined by others. If he hires Vance Joseph, it is likely that this guy gets fired with Vance. If they can't fix Kyler and he can't figure out the QB, he gets fired. If he lets Bidwill meddle, he probably gets fired. If he doesn't let Bidwill meddle, he may also get fired. HIs margin for error is so minimal that all he has is his vision and a 3 year window to get the right coach and QB.
Yeah. Here's the thing he's gonna have to figure out: he has an audience of one, and that's Michael Bidwill. If he hires Brian Flores, he's likely going to have to manage that relationship primarily, because Flores didn't get along with Miami's bad ownership for wanting to be involved.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He could have went full Kyler on the Dan Patrick show...
Yeah, even then I'll give a pass since he seems like a person who would rather die than do any public speaking, plenty of people like that out there.

But yes, Monti did well considering.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is such a mountain for an inexperienced GM.

Navigate a meddling owner.

Navigate a underperforming QB on a huge contract.

Find a HC.

Navigate the trade of a 30 year old WR who is also you best offensive player.

Figure out what to do with a young WR the previous GM gave up a 1st rounder for, who is friends with the QB, had a criminal issue previous off-season, and had a down year.

Replace four starting OL.

Build a defensive line out of nothing.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Find a HC.

Figure out what to do with a young WR the previous GM gave up a 1st rounder for, who is friends with the QB, had a criminal issue previous off-season, and had a down year.

All from a perennial losing franchise no less.

He talked about opportunity and I think he wants to prove himself. I'll respect that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Find a HC.

These are the critical pieces, but if MO has a north star, that's the first step. Everything else you find on your own.

I think you have to add dealing with a meddlesome owner to this list, because that's his main job. Honestly, getting the trains to run on time is easy for guys with experience in the NFL. That's why they get paid 10% of what head coaches do.

IMO, hiring an inexperienced GM makes it less likely that he tries to frankenstein a coaching staff together like Keim did "for" Wilkes and Kingsbury. Hopefully he gets a head coach with a budget and can run with it.

Reich might already have a bunch of guys in mind, since he was largely stuck with Josh McDaniels' recruits when Josh backed out of the jog.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

Find a HC.

Piece of cake. :)

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Find a HC.

Everyone on Mike's list falls into this category. As has been stated, you aren't getting a current/experienced GM today. Any with experience have been out of the game for a while and most have been on TV (Reece is the TV exception that I can think of)...any that are current aren't walking away for a lateral move.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
These are the critical pieces, but if MO has a north star, that's the first step. Everything else you find on your own.

I think you have to add dealing with a meddlesome owner to this list, because that's his main job. Honestly, getting the trains to run on time is easy for guys with experience in the NFL. That's why they get paid 10% of what head coaches do.

IMO, hiring an inexperienced GM makes it less likely that he tries to frankenstein a coaching staff together like Keim did "for" Wilkes and Kingsbury. Hopefully he gets a head coach with a budget and can run with it.

Reich might already have a bunch of guys in mind, since he was largely stuck with Josh McDaniels' recruits when Josh backed out of the jog.
I did after your previous post.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The other thing that comes to mind is that if you hire a Demeco Ryans and like three QBs at the top of this draft, you have to consider stripping this thing down to the studs and moving forward with one of them. I am not saying it is the best route, but the path forward is MUCH easier with a QB on a rookie deal than a underperforming one on a bad deal.

Rolling forward with CJ Stroud, Bryce Young or Will Levis, having them beat out McCoy, and having a ton of money to improve the roster is just much simpler to do than figuring out Kyler Murray.

Not saying it will get you better results, but it is much simpler.