Cardinals Hire Titans' Monti Ossenfort as New GM

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good luck with this. I have yet to meet a talented professional athlete without an ego. Hopefully he meant something else.
If you consider the last 2 teams he was a part of, I would say this statement applied. Tennessee and New England appear pretty buttoned up.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you consider the last 2 teams he was a part of, I would say this statement applied. Tennessee and New England appear pretty buttoned up.
Yes. He was "part of" a buttoned up operation. But he did not create that buttoned up operation. He has not earned the credibility that comes with creating a buttoned up operation. This is why so many of Belichick's guys fail. They want to make moves like the guy who won the super bowls when they have earned the right to.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Good luck with this. I have yet to meet a talented professional athlete without an ego. Hopefully he meant something else.
Hopefully he's like Sirianni where he cant articulate his words the right way until he's comfortable.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So he’s a scraps expert? Eh . .
For real.

"Hi, this is the world champion New England Patriots...How would you like to sign a contract with us" vs "Hi, this is the Arizona Cardinals...How would you like to sign a contract with us"

Different vibe with these calls.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Kind of both?

1) If you just bought a house, you don't hire a contractor until he's done an initial inspection, right? Hopefully Michael has an idea that MO likes Kyler enough to continue investing in and building around him. Hiring someone to remodel your kitchen who then says, "You're gonna have to stay at the Holiday Inn for the next two months; we're pulling this place down to the studs" would seem like a mistake.

2) I don't think that any of these prospects are on Kyler's level. Kyler, even this season, has a combination of traits you don't really see in the NFL. You have to want different than Kyler, because you're not going to find better than him.

3) If you liked wasting Kyler Murray's rookie year getting out from under Josh Rosen and Sam Bradford's contracts, you'll LOVE what would happen in 2023 if we tried to move off Kyler Murray's. Today, if I'm building a roster and I have a 2-year leash, I'm starting with the defense and offensive line and adding the QB as the cherry on top.
Great post. And so true. Kudos.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Belichick disciples always sound like Buddy Ryan to me. Talk like they swing big when they got there on Bill and Brady's coattails.
Yeah but I've always been impressed with the Patriots ability to find quality players later in the draft or from UDFAs.

Let's hope he doesn't do the Caserio routine of telling the coach what decisions to make on the field...

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
For real.

"Hi, this is the world champion New England Patriots...How would you like to sign a contract with us" vs "Hi, this is the Arizona Cardinals...How would you like to sign a contract with us"

Different vibe with these calls.
the agents for those guys try to direct them to where they have the best shot to make the team

the Pat's advantage is they have a rep where UDFAs can make the team

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
he is a boss, never sure Keim was? Keim was really crippled after his dui, couldn’t really drop the hammer without smashing himself. But he never was a boss!

GM is the boss over every soul except the owner, I trust a mix of analytics and instinct. Meaning if one or the other stays completely out of bounds - correct it - and it isn’t about their feelings, emotions are are overrated.

we have been one dimensional since Denny green left, only winning when we lucked out with a run game. Need to earn that, run game must be a primary weapon not an after thought, Toto increase ieffectiveness of a pass game.

ues even for Warner, Palmer and Murray! Especially Tom Brady look at sb losses compared to wins for Brady! Wins always have a respectable run game, making him that much more effective, and the wholistic team better.

Will see if cards oversized personalities are reigned in or booted - there is a lot of I in this team.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now I wish he didn’t say that at all. I get why he said it, but ugh. Just a typical Patriot-disciple talk.

I’m worried Monti would’ve been the type to let Deebo Samuel or other talented players go because they’re not kissing ass & not being a “good ole boy”.

Folks wants these players to be Jason Witten when that just isn’t realistic at all.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Now I wish he didn’t say that at all. I get why he said it, but ugh. Just a typical Patriot-disciple talk.

I’m worried Monti would’ve been the type to let Deebo Samuel or other talented players go because they’re not kissing ass & not being a “good ole boy”.

Folks wants these players to be Jason Witten when that just isn’t realistic at all.

Monti means, 'check your ego at the door.'

Players have heard it before.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Random thought - how the hell does Monti go about dealing with all of our pending free agents when he wasn't around all year watching their impact week to week? Do you guys think he sits down and watches every Cards game from the last couple of seasons? Gotta be a real challenge to step into the role from the outside. Zero connection with anyone here.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It is tough to have a strong opinion on this guy tbh because a great deal of his success will be determined by others. If he hires Vance Joseph, it is likely that this guy gets fired with Vance. If they can't fix Kyler and he can't figure out the QB, he gets fired. If he lets Bidwill meddle, he probably gets fired. If he doesn't let Bidwill meddle, he may also get fired. HIs margin for error is so minimal that all he has is his vision and a 3 year window to get the right coach and QB.
3 year window? Have you seen the longevity of GMs under this ownership?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Random thought - how the hell does Monti go about dealing with all of our pending free agents when he wasn't around all year watching their impact week to week? Do you guys think he sits down and watches every Cards game from the last couple of seasons? Gotta be a real challenge to step into the role from the outside. Zero connection with anyone here.
I'd imagine he will watch LOTS of Cardinals tape.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
Maybe him and Kyler can get together to watch some film.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
One thing I hope Monti changes is not having hit pieces leaked to the media about our current and former players. Kiems reputation around the NFL was horrible for that sort of BS.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yes. That’s exactly what he’ll do. Also, he’ll talk to the coaching staff about it, and guys like Wilson.

A lot of people have to do year-end write-ups on the guys that the teams use going forward.

He’s going to be working 60-80 hour weeks for the next few months to get this stuff buttoned down.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
One thing I hope Monti changes is not having hit pieces leaked to the media about our current and former players. Kiems reputation around the NFL was horrible for that sort of BS.
Yes. Teams with former Patriots execs are notorious for keeping things in-house.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson