POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Plenty of issues that can be directed at KK and KM and who owns the majority of failure. While KM absolutely needs to grow his skills I will wait to see what a new HC / OC can do with him, just as long as the new regime has NFL credibility and proven track record. If it’s VJ and whoever at OC it will be just more of the same to me. MB needs to get this 100% correct, and do a full org reset.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
You can't judge Staley on 2 seasons. In Payton's 2nd season as a HC they finished 7-9, 3rd in the division and didn't make the playoffs. In his 3rd season they went 8-8 and finished 4th.
You might be right that he might not get fired this time, but Staley’s REPEATED in game DUMB coaching decisions & late game team meltdowns at some point will. To me Payton has never lost as many games due to pure ignorance with terrible game management like Staley has.

At some point guys like Staley & McDaniels repeated analytical BS will be their demise & cost them their jobs. Imo It’s sickening how dumb some of these NFL coaches have become in today’s era. But that’s just my opinion.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I‘m hearing rumblings that despite public statements, Payton is not sold on Murray.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you take out the Tua stuff and three OC’s in three years I like it. Elite defensive mind but you just can’t overlook the baggage/turnover on offense.
Yea, we were to hope he learned his lesson from that.

I also know the media would be salivating at Flores/Kyler clashing. I wonder if Flores was looking for a QB that is vocal on the field, something Tua really is not. Kyler might be a lot of things, but being vocal on the field(for better or worse), he hasn’t shied from.

We’ll see…

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I also believe if we hire a GM before anything, any chance of Payton coming is zapped.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Fair response. Kyler does have to be be responsible for his own play. Exactly why I’d prefer a real NFL HC like Payton or Harbaugh to oversee his development.
These playoffs show that coaching really really matters. Kyler may have had one hand tied behind his back last year's playoffs.

This season in general he only seemed right when Hopkins was on the field.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you take out the Tua stuff and three OC’s in three years I like it. Elite defensive mind but you just can’t overlook the baggage/turnover on offense.
I can see Matt Patricia as his DC (once NE gets a new OC)and Bill O'Brien as his OC. This concerns me.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

These playoffs show that coaching really really matters. Kyler may have had one hand tied behind his back last year's playoffs.

This season in general he only seemed right when Hopkins was on the field.
Coaching does matter, but so does talent, which we have very little.

Daboll has done an amazing job with the Giants, but even their front 4 is soooo much better than any of our position groups.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Coaching does matter, but so does talent, which we have very little.

Daboll has done an amazing job with the Giants, but even their front 4 is soooo much better than any of our position groups.
Dont you get the feeling Daboll would have focused on the trenches the last couple of years?

Seems he'd rather have Linderbaum than Hollywood. A Jaelen Phillips than Zaven Collins.

I think KK was too agreeable or passive with Keim. Daboll seems like he would have fought to improve the trenches.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dont you get the feeling Daboll would have focused on the trenches the last couple of years?

Seems he'd rather have Linderbaum than Hollywood. A Jaelen Phillips than Zaven Collins.

I think KK was too agreeable or passive with Keim. Daboll seems like he would have fought to improve the trenches.
Oh he absolutely would’ve. No doubt about that.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
FWIW - Per Benjamin Albright Dan Quinn is getting alot of chatter in respect to the HC role with Denver right now.

Sheet load of smoke right now. But I imagine Payton won't make a decision until the Chargers confirm what if any changes they will be making.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I‘m hearing rumblings that despite public statements, Payton is not sold on Murray.

His own fans aren't sold on him so why would Payton be?

But if he doesn't think he can make a QB with Kyler's skill set work then he's not the man for the job anyway.