POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
When it’s all said & done……

I believe Brian Flores will be our next HC.
I believe Flores can be a good coach in this league. I just think he’ll fail to rehab Murray (no sure thing with anybody). That said it means a minimum of 3 years before this team will compete for the playoffs.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe Flores can be a good coach in this league. I just think he’ll fail to rehab Murray (no sure thing with anybody). That said it means a minimum of 3 years before this team will compete for the playoffs.
I agree that Flores is not the answer in regards to Murray, unless of course, you bring in a stud OC & Flores stays away from the offense entirely. I disagree that we’re 3+ years away from competing for a playoff spot. The NFL is not designed for any franchise, no matter how downtrodden they appear to be, to not being able to flip pretty quickly. Just disposing of Kliff & VJ can make a 5 game swing. Add 1 solid draft, better luck with injuries, bring in some FA’s that aren’t prone to injuries & you’re back in contention. This is not our fathers NFL.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that Flores is not the answer in regards to Murray, unless of course, you bring in a stud OC & Flores stays away from the offense entirely. I disagree that we’re 3+ years away from competing for a playoff spot. The NFL is not designed for any franchise, no matter how downtrodden they appear to be, to not being able to flip pretty quickly. Just disposing of Kliff & VJ can make a 5 game swing. Add 1 solid draft, better luck with injuries, bring in some FA’s that aren’t prone to injuries & you’re back in contention. This is not our fathers NFL.
We already had a coach that stayed away from one side of the team. I really don’t want to go back to that.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lots of tweets from media people who follow the LAC and:

they think Brandon Staley is safe,
if he he wasnt, dont think Payton would be a target

Staley should be safe. In 2 seasons he's finished 9-8 and 10-7. Would be nuts to fire him.

I haven't seen anyone asking for O'Connells head today and they got owned by the Giants pretty much start to finish at home as the 3rd seed.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Payton is on Cowherd right now. Just talked about playoffs, now they will talk about Payton and coaching when they come back from commercial.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
He has confirmed interviews this week with Denver, Houston and Carolina, so far. No mention from him or Cowherd of Cardinals.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Denver and Houston are coming to LA to interview...He's flying to New York at end of the week to interview with Carolina.

He thinks ultimately the Saints will receive mid to late 1st round pick, if he decides to coach this year. If he waits a year it would obviously be lower.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
He has already had verbal discussions with most teams, just no formal interview...per permission with Saints.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Love his comments regarding penalty yards and how they equate to missed points...learned it from Parcells.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Anyone in today's NFL where mediocrity reigns supreme is thinking a plan would consist of waiting three years is more like a coach getting fired sooner than later. Hell, with the right coach and a good draft the freaking Cardinals could make the playoffs now

HammerCards

Veteran
Reaction score
Just watched on Cowherd as well. Only mentioned interviews with Denver, Carolina and Houston. No mention of AZ…

Bargaining chip or didn’t like what he heard from Bidwill?

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Just watched on Cowherd as well. Only mentioned interviews with Denver, Carolina and Houston. No mention of AZ…

Bargaining chip or didn’t like what he heard from Bidwill?
They both avoided mentioning ANYTHING Cardinals... team name, players etc. It was odd, IMO.

HammerCards

Veteran
Reaction score
They both avoided mentioning ANYTHING Cardinals... team name, players etc. It was odd, IMO.
I had same feeling. Cowherd didn’t mention either in his initial question. Makes you think that Payton told him no chance or don’t mention because that’s the one.

Probably not a positive but I’m trying to convince myself.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I had same feeling. Cowherd didn’t mention either in his initial question. Makes you think that Payton told him no chance or don’t mention because that’s the one.
i would think Cowherd would want to be the guy who broke the news that AZ wasn't a possibility

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Not even on his radar - which makes perfect sense considering he'd never come here plus Mikey aint paying no Payton money after losing millions on Keim and Dinglebury - especially in a season when Kyler ain't playing

The Arizona Cardinals will go through the motions but will ultimately end up with A-Dub and Vance Joseph

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
just putting myself in Payton's shoes:

i probably go Panthers

why?

Denver? No draft capital and Russ is cooked, but you are stuck with him for two more years.
Houston? Draft capital and ability to get a QB in this draft. But Cal McNair..... yikes.

Cards? Kyler is either a super talented, but immature QB who was held back by a poor scheme and coaching; or, a super talented but ego-centric QB who believes his failures are due to everyone else and will never change.

IF its the later --- you are stuck with Kyler for 2023 and 2024 before you can jettison him and start over.

Payton would rather take the risk with a rookie QB who is easier to jettison.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I still wouldn't count the Texans out of the Payton possibilities, especially if they give him the keys
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: