POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know man. We've seen the Jets go from hopelessly bad to being competitive and it really only took a year or two.

If the next GM can walk away from this draft with two to three real good starters and a few regular contributors, this team can be competitive.
Agreed. Also the Seahawks showed that one really strong draft can change you from being predicted to finish last to making the playoffs.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The "fire Staley and get Payton" talk is nuts today. The league has become so short sighted.

You can't judge Staley on 2 seasons. In Payton's 2nd season as a HC they finished 7-9, 3rd in the division and didn't make the playoffs. In his 3rd season they went 8-8 and finished 4th.

Today he'd be fired by now.

In his 4th season they won the Superbowl.
Payton made the NFC Championship in his 1st and 4th season in New Orleans. I respect the reverse psychology attempt though lol

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "fire Staley and get Payton" talk is nuts today. The league has become so short sighted.

You can't judge Staley on 2 seasons. In Payton's 2nd season as a HC they finished 7-9, 3rd in the division and didn't make the playoffs. In his 3rd season they went 8-8 and finished 4th.

Today he'd be fired by now.

In his 4th season they won the Superbowl.
Payton went to the NFC TITLE GAME IN HIS FIRST YEAR.

But don’t let facts get in the way of a bad argument.

I mean, not mentioning that as a reason Payton got rope in year 2 and 3 demonstrates one of two things. Either you have no grasp of the situation you just used as basis for comparison. Or it’s yet another disturbing example of your pathological inability to admit you’re wrong so you’ll make specious arguments… even to the point of embarassing yourself… to avoid doing so.

Up next, I expect you to argue that Payton making the NFC Title game wasn’t really that big of a deal… for a franchise who’d literally never been to one before.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Payton went to the NFC TITLE GAME IN HIS FIRST YEAR.

But don’t let facts get in the way of a bad argument.

I mean, not mentioning that as a reason Payton got rope in year 2 and 3 demonstrates one of two things. Either you have no grasp of the situation you just used as basis for comparison. Or it’s yet another disturbing example of your pathological inability to admit you’re wrong so you’ll make specious arguments… even to the point of embarassing yourself… to avoid doing so.

Up next, I expect you to argue that Payton making the NFC Title game wasn’t really that big of a deal… for a franchise who’d literally never been to one before.

What the ****? I know he went to the tital game. And then he had 2 years where he didn't make the playoffs. Its a "what have you done for me lately" league.

Today he'd likely get canned.

What am I supposed to be admitting I'm wrong about in making a point that teams have no patience now?

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I'm sure the Panthers are kicking the tires on Payton but hard to see that being a good fit.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
All I know it that the Cardinals were able to somehow convince JJ Watt to be a Cardinal and sure other clubs offered a valid monetary compensation, but he still chose the Cardinals. Though slight, the Cardinals being able to sign Payton is not something I would rule out

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why higher?
If saints even would think about it, it would cost as much as anyone else wants to pay plus extra, because they don't want Sean Payton twice a year. Probably Sean Payton doesn't want that either.

But at this point, more or less all team want to interview Sean Payton. I'm not sure if this is really good for any team ...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Amen! We have far too many posters who would rather just criticize Murray, even though Kingsbury’s weaknesses were exposed very early on. Murray’s skill set offset KK for a couple years, but eventually KK being outcoached week after week was too much for Kyler to overcome.
Well, THAT didn't take long lol Kliffy sucked, but so did Kyler. Kyler's sucking isn't all on Kliffy, and Kliffy's sucking isn't all on Kyler. Kyler bears a ton of responsibility for his own play. Let's see if he can fix himself. If you think a change of coach is all he needs, I got nothing for you.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kyler REALLY sucked this year, but Kliff always really sucked.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who knows really. Maybe PAyton said something off the record to Cowherd in confidence. I don’t watch Cowherd so I don’t know if a lot of what he’s says comes to fruition or he’s another screaming a smith on a different network
Trying to scope out who’ll go where as NFL, GM or HC is like trying to hit a moving dartboard blindfolded.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, THAT didn't take long lol Kliffy sucked, but so did Kyler. Kyler's sucking isn't all on Kliffy, and Kliffy's sucking isn't all on Kyler. Kyler bears a ton of responsibility for his own play. Let's see if he can fix himself. If you think a change of coach is all he needs, I got nothing for you.
Fair response. Kyler does have to be be responsible for his own play. Exactly why I’d prefer a real NFL HC like Payton or Harbaugh to oversee his development.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can't have a conversation about sucking without Keim. I'd say 40/30/30 split with Mr. DUI out front.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah. Kyler deserves another chance with a new regime as franchise Qb's don't grow on trees, but also because of his contract.
Love him or hate him, he's QB1 for at least another two seasons.

Edit: Next year being spent mostly on IR.