POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think the Saints have so many Payton pursuers they can sit back and wait. It wouldn’t surprise me if Cards signed Harbaugh, but it’s more likely he goes to Indy.
Payton aint going anywhere he doesnt want to be. Saints only option is to negotiate with the team Payton tells them too.

why would say,... cleveland,.. send draft capital to new orleans for Paytons rights only to have Sean say, "eat a bag of frozen *****" and decide to just stay home in his hot tub with his pretty wife until his contract expires?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Payton aint going anywhere he doesnt want to be. Saints only option is to negotiate with the team Payton tells them too.

why would say,... cleveland,.. send draft capital to new orleans for Paytons rights only to have Sean say, "eat a bag of frozen *****" and decide to just stay home in his hot tub with his pretty wife until his contract expires?
Agreed...It's been reported he wants to be out West, so that limits the options already.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
since Payton is under contract with NO, the Cards have to call them up and ask for permission to talk to him directly

NO could very well want to discuss comp at that time prior to even giving permission
Technicalities... but Payton is retired from the nfl...
only under contract if he comes out of retirement.
dont think tampering can be considered or accused in this case.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Agreed...It's been reported he wants to be out West, so that limits the options already.
Right??

as of right now there are very limited possibilities.
Does McVay retire? Does Kliff get fired? San Diego aint really gonna fire that guy now right?
Denver aint warm weather...and the Raiders aint dumping McD mere moments after letting him dump Derek Carr

so from here it looks like only three teams are possible with the chargers being the least likely of the three. Looks like us or the rams,... but both teams currently have coaches

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I suppose you're right, but it would behoove the Saints to get as many teams in the mix as possible to give overtures to Payton if he's so inclined. If they gatekeep every team and every team refuses to commit to giving up a first round pick, then the Saints are out of luck for any compensation and Payton stays at Fox.

Payton is control here. I would think he's telling the Saints where he wants to go or he stays home with his hot 38 year old wife.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I’d be willing to bet that buddy Ryan had some semblance of a bounty sustem for his defenses at every stop, including us.
Yea, I’ve heard many rationalizatio, justifications and I don’t buy any of them , Payton is the mist unsportsmanlike HC in history of Amy sport. Hands down. Not to mention bounty gate injured and ended the career of our own hpffer and roh QB Kurt Warner.

Ill keep Kingsbury and his flaws 0ver pos Payton. I mean did you see that movie hometown? How Sean Payton was the big victim. Don’t sell cards soul to demons, we can win without that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yea, I’ve heard many rationalizatio, justifications and I don’t buy any of them , Payton is the mist unsportsmanlike HC in history of Amy sport. Hands down. Not to mention bounty gate injured and ended the career of our own hpffer and roh QB Kurt Warner.

Ill keep Kingsbury and his flaws 0ver pos Payton. I mean did you see that movie hometown? How Sean Payton was the big victim. Don’t sell cards soul to demons, we can win without that.
He was the victim . . . they cast Kevin James as him. That’s cruel and unusual.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Denver and the Saints have already agreed on a compensation package that includes a first round pick. I'd say that the January 17th meeting is perfunctory except Payton might consider being stuck with Russell Wilson to be a deal breaker.

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
If compensation includes a first rounder, the Cardinals either make it a 2024 pick or do some serious trade downs this season. #4 overall pick is waaay too much.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Denver and the Saints have already agreed on a compensation package that includes a first round pick. I'd say that the January 17th meeting is perfunctory except Payton might consider being stuck with Russell Wilson to be a deal breaker.
If this is the case, then AZ had zero shot from jump. I still think he prefers warmer weather and Denver is plan B or even C.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On pregame they asked Payton what's the most important factor in choosing a coaching job... He answered.. Ownership. That's leaves the Redbirds out of the equation!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
On pregame they asked Payton what's the most important factor in choosing a coaching job... He answered.. Ownership. That's leaves the Redbirds out of the equation!
Unless he thinks he can control the owner. LeBron went to LA not just because of weather or that the Buss kids are great owners but for the fact that he knew he could dictate large parts of the direction of the franchise.

That’s our only hope with Payton. That he thinks he can basically run the franchise here more or less no strings attached.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If compensation includes a first rounder, the Cardinals either make it a 2024 pick or do some serious trade downs this season. #4 overall pick is waaay too much.
It just can't be the 2023 pick. These trades happen near draft time. If Payton wants to be a HC again, he isn't going to be on the market in April. He will be long signed before then.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless he thinks he can control the owner. LeBron went to LA not just because of weather or that the Buss kids are great owners but for the fact that he knew he could dictate large parts of the direction of the franchise.

That’s our only hope with Payton. That he thinks he can basically run the franchise here more or less no strings attached.
He also went for endorsement deals, but I agree with what you are saying.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose