POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You could negotiate a future first very easily. The problem is leverage. What leverage do the Cardinals have in this? They are desperate for competency and most believe Payton brings that. Is there really a price (in terms of draft picks) on being relevant?

Leverage?

The Saints have an asset with a value of precisely '0" at this point, and that will be the return unless they are prepared to negotiate.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The king of hypebole. Payton not getting 25 mill per year in any world. Plus, he was on Cowherds show the other day so it's another form of Cowherd sucking up.

He also said on Cowherd "Stop drafting undedized players in the top 15"...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What is important yes fans is messed up. Guess you will be glad to see me gone.

I’d be willing to bet that buddy Ryan had some semblance of a bounty sustem for his defenses at every stop, including us.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Leverage?

The Saints have an asset with a value of precisely '0" at this point, and that will be the return unless they are prepared to negotiate.
If someone can refuse to deal with you and there are other options they have the leverage. The saints have more leverage than the cardinals if the cardinals want Payton.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You could negotiate a future first very easily. The problem is leverage. What leverage do the Cardinals have in this? They are desperate for competency and most believe Payton brings that. Is there really a price (in terms of draft picks) on being relevant?

Cards don't have much leverage other than from Payton, if he has an amicable enough relationship saying don't deal me to x, y, z, only a, b, c. We won't know that probably, but if we can benefit if the Cards rds are truly one of his preferred destinations.

I doubt they trade him within the division.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Cards don't have much leverage other than from Payton, if he has an amicable enough relationship saying don't deal me to x, y, z, only a, b, c. We won't know that probably, but if we can benefit if the Cards rds are truly one of his preferred destinations.

I doubt they trade him within the division.
I don't believe the Saints care as long as they get the compensation they want.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If someone can refuse to deal with you and there are other options they have the leverage. The saints have more leverage than the cardinals if the cardinals want Payton.

Sure. The auctioneer can either set a minimum price for bidders or have open bids.

But, if there is actually only one potential buyer, then it's a negotiation and price matters.

The value of Payton as an asset and the return to the Saints depends entirely on coming to a mutually beneficial agreement.

And, yes, there are, in fact, a host of other options for the Cards, including sticking with KK.

You can't successfully negotiate if you're not prepared to walk away.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sure. The auctioneer can either set a minimum price for bidders or have open bids.

But, if there is actually only one potential buyer, then it's a negotiation and price matters.

The value of Payton as an asset and the return to the Saints depends entirely on coming to a mutually beneficial agreement.

And, yes, there are, in fact, a host of other options for the Cards, including sticking with KK.

You can't successfully negotiate if you're not prepared to walk away.
Of course not, but if money is no object ($25M) and you believe Payton is a unique game changer, you don’t walk away. Even if it means overpaying. And the saints know this. The cardinals real entire leverage is based on Payton saying cards or none. It’s a unique trading scenario.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The cardinals real entire leverage is based on Payton saying cards or none. It’s a unique trading scenario.
this captures it

if the Saints are looking at "some draft consideration" or "none" -- that changes the dynamic

with "none" being a certainty if they dont get it this offseason

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Of course not, but if money is no object ($25M) and you believe Payton is a unique game changer, you don’t walk away. Even if it means overpaying. And the saints know this. The cardinals real entire leverage is based on Payton saying cards or none. It’s a unique trading scenario.

IF money is no object (never happens)

IF draft compensation is no object (shouldn't happen)

This isn't trading a player. If the Cardinals come calling, it's because they have a tentative deal with Payton subject to an agreement on compensation.

Not willing to walk away is a bend-over strategy, and one best enjoy taking it up you know where.

I don't doubt that Payton is a good coach in his own right, but he was teamed with a future Hall of Fame QB.

Lest we forget, the GOAT QB won another Super Bowl when his tandem with arguably the greatest H-C was severed.

P.S. Until proven wrong, I don't think this marriage will occur in 2023, a season primarily involving administrative changes, cleaning up the Cap and player personnel.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If Payton isn't going to go anywhere else, they have zero leverage. Of course, this is assuming that the rumors have been true about AZ being the top candidate if the LA and Dallas gigs don't come open.

It doesn't matter if the Panthers would trade every one of their picks this year for Payton, if he says he doesn't want to coach there, the Saints can't get that return.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't believe the Saints care as long as they get the compensation they want.
But this isn't a player that you can just ship out at any time for your compensation wants, that needs to keep playing in the NFL. It doesn't work that way. Payton's not hurting for cash. He's retired and has a lucrative FOX deal. There's not a single team in the NFL that's going to trade for Payton and then try to get him out of retirement.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Thats why you bring payton in on monday...place a feeler call to the saints on tuesday...then bring in Harbaugh on wednesday.
saints will call back by friday

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Thats why you bring payton in on monday...place a feeler call to the saints on tuesday...then bring in Harbaugh on wednesday.
You don't negotiate with Payton without knowing what Saints want first.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You don't negotiate with Payton without knowing what Saints want first.
disagree.
you make sure you can get Payton. Then you make sure Payton will assist in keeping the saints reasonable.

one simple statement from him.
" I really liike the opportunity in Arizona and I am not going anywhere else. If we cant get a deal done I will just sit out my contract so nobody else can dictate where I move to"

and just like that the saints are negotiating for less than they thought they would get. Coach Payton is well loved in the Big Easy, they dont want word to get around that they are keeping him out of the NFL.

Taking a visit with Harbaugh just provides added leverage and options.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Completely disagree. You get on the same page with Payton ASAP, make sure he's interested in coming here, and if he is, then you play hardball with the Saints.

He owns the leverage, they only have a share of it.
Yep

I still don’t believe Payton will cost anyone a #1 pick, unless that team caves. Call their bluff. He’s retired from that organization & as you say Sean holds the cards pardon the pun lol

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Completely disagree. You get on the same page with Payton ASAP, make sure he's interested in coming here, and if he is, then you play hardball with the Saints.
since Payton is under contract with NO, the Cards have to call them up and ask for permission to talk to him directly

NO could very well want to discuss comp at that time prior to even giving permission

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think the Saints have so many Payton pursuers they can sit back and wait. It wouldn’t surprise me if Cards signed Harbaugh, but it’s more likely he goes to Indy.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
since Payton is under contract with NO, the Cards have to call them up and ask for permission to talk to him directly

NO could very well want to discuss comp at that time prior to even giving permission

And the Cards respond that they don't know whether Payton is truly interested or if the fit exists and as such discussing compensation at this moment is a bit pointless. It's in NO's interest to have as many as possible interested in his services.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I suppose you're right, but it would behoove the Saints to get as many teams in the mix as possible to give overtures to Payton if he's so inclined. If they gatekeep every team and every team refuses to commit to giving up a first round pick, then the Saints are out of luck for any compensation and Payton stays at Fox.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave