POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ehhhh... Payton's got more negotiating power than them. They're gonna be lucky to get anything, because Payton's got a nice TV gig sitting there and isn't hurting for money.

He can absolutely say "okay Saints, if you're not going to let me go where I want, you're getting nothing, bye bye."
That's fair. I was thinking about the teams that are wanting to acquire Payton. (Denver/AZ etc)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have control of an asset, which is worth precisely what someone is willing to pay for it.

Yes or no is the extent of their control until Payton's contract expires, and unless they've accepted something, it has precisely '0' value.
Yes, but that can be said for every contract.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ehhhh... Payton's got more negotiating power than them. They're gonna be lucky to get anything, because Payton's got a nice TV gig sitting there and isn't hurting for money.

He can absolutely say "okay Saints, if you're not going to let me go where I want, you're getting nothing, bye bye."
I think that’s why NFL rules are the team has to agree to compensation before the discussion with the coach-under-contract. Then the deals in place either the coach likes the opportunity or not.

And teams don’t fall in love with a coach or vice versa and the franchise is suddenly like “two firsts please.”

Any compensation for Payton is a benefit. New Orleans won’t get anything for him now, anyway.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That's fair. I was thinking about the teams that are wanting to acquire Payton. (Denver/AZ etc)
Also, Payton is unique that he is still pretty young and has a nice gig right now. He is not going to let the team acquiring him give up too big of a haul for him because that makes his job tougher.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, Payton is unique that he is still pretty young and has a nice gig right now. He is not going to let the team acquiring him give up too big of a haul for him because that makes his job tougher.
Good point. It is a weird situation.

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Payton has an excellent relationship with the owner. She is going to treat him fairly IMO. The Saints will get the equivalent of a first round pick but our second rounder and a 2024 pick should get the job done IMO. The #3 overall pick this year is a non-starter.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If we judged every GM by their worst pick nobody would qualify.

Pace also won GM of the year in 2020.

He'd be a puppet anyway as Payton want's roster control.
I disagree on the last part but agree on the first.

Payton wants someone who sees eye to eye with him and he can communicate with. It is going to be a collaboration.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Payton wants someone who sees eye to eye with him and he can communicate with. It is going to be a collaboration.
HA HA HA He and Nagy spread that collaboration dung before they were both launched.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
HA HA HA He and Nagy spread that collaboration dung before they were both launched.
It isn't dung. A HC may not want the GM job but they still want a say and influence. If you have a guy you know you can do that with however you trust he is competent enough to handle the role, that is all you want as an HC.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It isn't dung. A HC may not want the GM job but they still want a say and influence. If you have a guy you know you can do that with however you trust he is competent enough to handle the role, that is all you want as an HC.
I think a lot of people are misunderstanding the GM role. I think that the best GMs -- the guys who survive for 15-20 years in the role -- are great managers. Even elite talent evaluators are slaves to draft positioning and available prospects. Successful teams inevitably have a brain drain of assistant coaches and front office staffs. Good GMs make good decisions about (1) who they want around them in terms of directors, scouts, etc., and (2) where and how to allocate resources on the roster.

This second factor is driven mainly by the vision for a team, not the next team. Sometimes a good GM will have a clear vision for what makes a good team and the head coach he selects will share that vision. I think it's better in the long run to have a head coach that has a clear vision and a GM who can start slotting talent to fit the vision.

I don't mind creative conflict between HC and GM, as long as the vision is shared.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yes I agree. It will be a collaboration and they will work hand in hand. But I think Payton would have the final say right?

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
if you paid attention to pace/nagy, we here in chicago had the fortune of hearing, you might have heard the word collaborate more times than was necessary.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
We be have received permission to talk to Sean. I imagine that would mean draft compensation has been agreed to but no way to know for sure. Pretty exciting though!!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes I agree. It will be a collaboration and they will work hand in hand. But I think Payton would have the final say right?
Probably but my guess is that would be reserved only for very critical decisions that are within the coaching spectrum.

To @kerouac9 point about GMs and how hey would work with Payton is mostly about communication and shared vision. Payton can communicate his wants and needs to the GM and the GM can work to get a staff in place that can deliver on those wants and needs.

It is like building a draft board. Stability in a front office and on a coaching staff leads to easier draft prep because everyone should know what type of players the team is looking for at each position.