POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
For money??
Jon Gruden got 10mil and it created one hell of a buzz. But the 10 years was as big a part of the buzz as the dollar amount.
If i were Mike B i would offer Paton 7 years $84mil...
The cardinals are usually tight lipped in regards to coaches salary but i would let that one leak out.
The organization built some credibility during the BA years but thats all gone and we are back to being a joke.
If word gets out we brought in a SB winning coach on a longterm contract for 12 mil a year? That lets the NFL know this team is serious about winning. That can help us during free agency. But it also indicates we are expecting Payton to fix Calimari.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Mikey's visit to the locker room to say not every player is giving his all was to lay the groundwork for down the road when KK is retained as HC.

There will be no visits by potential coaches. Put that to bed right now.

The only possible change is a new GM with the health problems used to save face for Keim.

That is all folks.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Saints never have publicly identified what they would want in return for Payton, but league sources know New Orleans has kept close tabs on what other franchises received for other top coaching candidates.

The Raiders received two first-round picks, two second-round picks and $8 million from the Buccaneers in exchange for Jon Gruden. The Jetsreceived a first-round pick, a fourth-round pick and a seventh-round pick from the Patriots in exchange for Bill Belichick, along with fifth-round and seventh-round picks.

The Patriots also received first-, second-, third- and fourth-round picks, as well as $300,000 donated to charity, from the Jets in exchange for Bill Parcells.

The Saints believe Payton, who went 152-89 in 16 seasons with New Orleans and led the Saints to the only Super Bowl championship in franchise history, is worth what other great coaches have been valued at and then some.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The Saints never have publicly identified what they would want in return for Payton, but league sources know New Orleans has kept close tabs on what other franchises received for other top coaching candidates.

The Raiders received two first-round picks, two second-round picks and $8 million from the Buccaneers in exchange for Jon Gruden. The Jetsreceived a first-round pick, a fourth-round pick and a seventh-round pick from the Patriots in exchange for Bill Belichick, along with fifth-round and seventh-round picks.

The Patriots also received first-, second-, third- and fourth-round picks, as well as $300,000 donated to charity, from the Jets in exchange for Bill Parcells.

The Saints believe Payton, who went 152-89 in 16 seasons with New Orleans and led the Saints to the only Super Bowl championship in franchise history, is worth what other great coaches have been valued at and then some.
That's all well and good, but what team can really afford that, that needs a new coach right now, and Payton has a desire to go to?

The Rams and Broncos are bereft of top picks due to recent deals for QBs. The Panthers have some additional ammo after trading CMC, but only have 7 total picks, with none after the 5th round, and Payton doesn't seem to want to go there, not to mention that they're divisional rivals, so it wouldn't fit for the Saints to move him there.

The Colts? Maybe, but they need a QB desperately, and pick at #5 currently, so it's hard to fathom them trading that away. I guess I can see a world where they're comfortable with their current roster and see a QB/Payton combo as enough to take the next step, but reports haven't shown a desire for Payton to coach there.

I think they're just going to have to take what they can get in some sense. I'd offer up our high third, the requisite cash, and two IMAX tickets to Avatar 2: The Way of Water.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol no. No chance I'd give this.

I think Payton is a solid HC but he had 1 superbowl win with a top 10 all time QB and 5 seasons of .500 or less. And he's already retired once.

No chance.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I think Payton is a solid HC but he had 1 superbowl win with a top 10 all time QB and 5 seasons of .500 or less. And he's already retired once.

No chance.

I would hate to. Maybe a future first.

1st round picks come every year, and sometimes turn out to be nothing.

Very rarely do you get a coach of this caliber on the open market (and his supposed posse), let alone in the midst of needing to fill vacant positions.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Mikey's visit to the locker room to say not every player is giving his all was to lay the groundwork for down the road when KK is retained as HC.

There will be no visits by potential coaches. Put that to bed right now.

The only possible change is a new GM with the health problems used to save face for Keim.

That is all folks.
yeah Id be really surprised if Mike cans KK after the season. He watches film with Kliff and is being told who is in position, doing their job, and with all the injuries the team has suffered this year, Im sure Mike still thinks he has the same COY candidate in kliff before the wheels came off last season for whatever reason.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
yeah Id be really surprised if Mike cans KK after the season. He watches film with Kliff and is being told who is in position, doing their job, and with all the injuries the team has suffered this year, Im sure Mike still thinks he has the same COY candidate in kliff before the wheels came off last season for whatever reason.
I wouldn't be surprised either if he gives KK another year, or even 2 with a competent GM and to see how Murray comes back from injury.

I also wouldn't be surprised, however, if KK is being fired that he already knows his fate. I think MB is pretty transparent, behind the scenes with coaches, when the writing is on the wall. It was obvious Denny wasn't coming back after his blow up. I think BA knew his fate a few weeks before he "retired"...and even Whis. You can see it in all of their demeanor the last few weeks of their final seasons. If Kliff suddenly looks and coaches more relaxed today, it's because he knows it's over for him. He's looked like a walking corpse with no sleep the last 3 or 4 games.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would bet that KK will be back. One of the 2 interim Co-GMs will be the GM. MB will accept injuries as an excuse for the crap show this year and that will be that.
This will be disgusting if that was a the case…I can’t think of a more incompetent coach that has lasted 4 years let alone 5 years.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Cowherd just said he heard he would command $25M per year to coach. That’s insanity if true.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

No chance.

You could negotiate a future first very easily. The problem is leverage. What leverage do the Cardinals have in this? They are desperate for competency and most believe Payton brings that. Is there really a price (in terms of draft picks) on being relevant?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You could negotiate a future first very easily. The problem is leverage. What leverage do the Cardinals have in this? They are desperate for competency and most believe Payton brings that. Is there really a price (in terms of draft picks) on being relevant?

That's great if you are 100% sure that he brings that.

It's not unlikely (in my opinion) that Kyler struggles switching from an offense with very simple play calls that he has always run to Payton's verbiage which has play calls 20 words long and much more for the QB to do pre snap. Considering he's struggled to run this offense pared down for him I don't have high hopes.

And that after 2 years of being stuck with it he decides that his 20 years younger wife is more appealing than trying to get Kyler to pick up his offense.

Nothing would be more Cardinals than giving Payton and his staff a 5 year highly paid deal and a 1st round pick to the Saints for Payton to struggle here and call it quits after 2-3 years while the Saints draft the next Aaron Donald or Tom Brady with the pick we give them.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

It's not unlikely (in my opinion) that Kyler struggles switching from an offense with very simple play calls that he has always run to Payton's verbiage which has play calls 20 words long and much more for the QB to do pre snap. Considering he's struggled to run this offense pared down for him I don't have high hopes.

And that after 2 years of being stuck with it he decides that his 20 years younger wife is more appealing than trying to get Kyler to pick up his offense.

Nothing would be more Cardinals than giving Payton and his staff a 5 year highly paid deal and a 1st round pick to the Saints for Payton to struggle here and call it quits after 2-3 years while the Saints draft the next Aaron Donald or Tom Brady with the pick we give them.
Well yes, if you don't believe Payton brings competency as a HC to your franchise than he is not worth a 1st. You are probably on a bit of an island with that "Payton is guaranteed to be competent" take.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score

Haven't we always been told a good coach is able to adapt to the talent around them? If so, I'm sure the almighty Payton is smart enough to figure out a play calling system that suits Murray just fine. However, I don't believe for a second that Kyler is a dummy who can't assimilate to new playbook language.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's all well and good, but what team can really afford that, that needs a new coach right now, and Payton has a desire to go to?

The Rams and Broncos are bereft of top picks due to recent deals for QBs. The Panthers have some additional ammo after trading CMC, but only have 7 total picks, with none after the 5th round, and Payton doesn't seem to want to go there, not to mention that they're divisional rivals, so it wouldn't fit for the Saints to move him there.

The Colts? Maybe, but they need a QB desperately, and pick at #5 currently, so it's hard to fathom them trading that away. I guess I can see a world where they're comfortable with their current roster and see a QB/Payton combo as enough to take the next step, but reports haven't shown a desire for Payton to coach there.

I think they're just going to have to take what they can get in some sense. I'd offer up our high third, the requisite cash, and two IMAX tickets to Avatar 2: The Way of Water.
Denver has a high 2nd round pick and I think that and a 5th would be good enough for Payton.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denver has a high 2nd round pick and I think that and a 5th would be good enough for Payton.
Nope - Denver traded last year's 1st, 2nd, and 5th round picks, this year's 1st AND 2nd round picks, and three players to Seattle for Wilson. :biglaugh:

EDIT: Thanks to K9 for prompting me to look more thoroughly... Denver actually gets San Francisco's FIRST round pick for trading Chubb to Miami!

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope - Denver traded last year's 1st, 2nd, and 5th round picks, this year's 1st AND 2nd round picks, and three players to Seattle for Wilson. :biglaugh:
Thanks. I was looking at the Tankathon website and I scrolled down thinking that was the 2nd round pick, it was the 4th router that I was looking at. My mistake.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
What is important yes fans is messed up. Guess you will be glad to see me gone.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Another report listing us as the favorites in the Payton sweepstakes.
And yet another report in which we’re listed as the top landing spot for Payton (scroll down to item #3).

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Kliff comes back Bidwill needs to amend his contract to require that he gets roughly 8 hours of sleep most nights. No more gym at 3 or 4 AM. There is no way the sleep deprivation can be helping his decision making.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
If Kliff comes back Bidwill needs to amend his contract to require that he gets roughly 8 hours of sleep most nights. No more gym at 3 or 4 AM. There is no way the sleep. deprivation can be helping his decision making.
Kyler can read the playbook to him as a bedtime story.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave