Time to Burn It All Down

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Experiment has failed. It's time to pull the plug on Kliff and his offense. Sadly the death of Mike Leach last night was like a bit of foreshadowing of what's to come of Kliff's offense in the NFL. Not just Kliff but also Keim needs to be shown the door. This team needs to to be rebuilt with an experienced NFL Head Coach and a GM that can spot talent.

Sadly I think 2023 is a lost cause. So I would burn it all to the ground starting with a couple of most likely unpopular moves:

- First I would trade Budda Baker for a 1st round pick. Let Budda go play for a team that has a chance to win while he is still able to play at a high level.

- Second I would Trade DHop for a 2nd and 5th round pick. DHop is still a great WR but is 30 years old and on the decline. Might as well get something for him while you still can.

- Third, know that Pugh and Hudson will retire and need to be replaced.

- Fourth let Watt and AJ Green walk via free agency. No need to bring back aging vets during a rebuild.

For the Cardinals to be somewhat competitive in 2023 they should use FA told rebuild the OL. Hopefully the new HC and GM will want to rebuild around a strong running game that is dependant on play action. Additionally they should look to bolster the DL as well in FA and the Draft including adding a young edge rusher. There needs to be a youth movement that targets players who love to play football. All with the goal to be competitive enough to make the playoffs in 2024.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually wonder what Budda would get in a trade? I love the guy but realize the way we use him might not be the way other teams would. We don't ask him to be in coverage nearly as often as most teams do with their SS. There were a couple of plays last night where he was so out of position it was alarming it's because we're asking him to be close to the LOS. That big downfield throw to the TE where Baker just narrowly missed deflecting it, he was WAY out of position there. I was watching a review online this morning and the guy pointed out that one of the things the Pats did in the 2nd half was exploit Baker and Simmons because they're so geared to come up and play the run or even rush the passer that if you give them the right look you can get behind them.

2 of their biggest plays last night were the pass Budda narrowly missed, and the play to Henry where Simmons guessed wrong and Thompson couldn't get all the way over in time to get there.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Budda's rep and heart far outweigh his actual on field contributions.

This offseason was the year to either go all in or rebuild. We chose neither door, and now we're still one of the worst teams anyway. Hopefully we don't make the same mistake again, but who are we kidding? We're the Cards! #Birdbrainfootball

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kliff's offense for the most part is boring considering the weapons we do have on offense. I really thought when he came in, he was going to constantly have defenses on their heels and stretch the field, etc. Meh. Four years and he still looks like he is in over his head.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The Experiment has failed. It's time to pull the plug on Kliff and his offense. Sadly the death of Mike Leach last night was like a bit of foreshadowing of what's to come of Kliff's offense in the NFL. Not just Kliff but also Keim needs to be shown the door. This team needs to to be rebuilt with an experienced NFL Head Coach and a GM that can spot talent.

Sadly I think 2023 is a lost cause. So I would burn it all to the ground starting with a couple of most likely unpopular moves:

- First I would trade Budda Baker for a 1st round pick. Let Budda go play for a team that has a chance to win while he is still able to play at a high level.

- Second I would Trade DHop for a 2nd and 5th round pick. DHop is still a great WR but is 30 years old and on the decline. Might as well get something for him while you still can.

- Third, know that Pugh and Hudson will retire and need to be replaced.

- Fourth let Watt and AJ Green walk via free agency. No need to bring back aging vets during a rebuild.

For the Cardinals to be somewhat competitive in 2023 they should use FA told rebuild the OL. Hopefully the new HC and GM will want to rebuild around a strong running game that is dependant on play action. Additionally they should look to bolster the DL as well in FA and the Draft including adding a young edge rusher. There needs to be a youth movement that targets players who love to play football. All with the goal to be competitive enough to make the playoffs in 2024.
I mostly agree. DHop won't be here when we're good again, so get what you can for him. Budda is young enough to be here once a rebuild is done (if it ever is) so don't get rid of him. Pugh, Hudson, and AJ green aren't even considerations--they're gone. Let Watt walk for sure. Don't re-sign Hollywood to a massive contract either. Don't rebuild the OL fully through FA; draft young talent and let them play next year along with the young bucks we already have.

All of this is contingent on having a real GM to put the plan in motion, which probably won't happen :(

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim will believe the o-line will be fine with all the injured players returning.
We will see the conclusive report on Kyler and see how are genius Gm spins the fact how everthing is alright.

NWMike

Rookie
Reaction score
You don't need to burn things down. Football is a sport where you can rebuild and compete again pretty quickly unlike baseball. 2023 is a wash at this point even if Kyler comes back. We play the AFC North and NFC East so I have a hard time seeing us having a winning record. I think you need to start rebuilding the lines ahead of 2023 with an eye toward competing again in 2024. We should use this draft/free agency to restock and get younger on both lines starting with taking one of the stud d-lineman with our inevitable top 5 pick and resigning Zach Allen. If you can do that then one of two scenarios play out in 2023. Kyler comes back at some point and shows enough that he can still be a high caliber qb in this league (having a better line and d will certainly help with that) and in which case you go into 2024 ready to compete again or Kyler doesn't rebound in which case we'll be staring down another top 5 pick and then you grab your new starting qb knowing that once again you have a better line / d to help them.

That being said I think you have to let Keim go for the sheer dumpster fire this year turned into. I'd be ok dumping Kliff as well but there seems to be a school of thought that he is being undermined by Keim. I don't know. If the Cards don't make changes though and let Keim/Kliff stay on for next year then I'm going to playing a lot more golf next fall.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I gotta say, this is the first time I've ever considered just being a casual fan until this mess is fixed. I literally am at the point where I just really don't care about team news or players or coaches babbling on and on. It's like the scene in Titanic when the people are on the lifeboat just watching it sink and they can't do a thing to stop it. I do agree tho, the whole thing needs to be torn down, starting with Keim and the rest of his hires, until that happens I just don't care that much

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you believe the problems of this organization are tied to Keim, Kliff, and Kyler...burning it down only causes the rebuild to take longer. Unless you are factoring in future incompetence which is probably likely but not what I believe you are going for.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I know Keim won't do this however considering the present status of this team I would be looking to build a draft stockpile for 2024 and yes I know Keim would probably mess it up, but if Keim isn't the GM after 2023, I think a new GM might like having a stockpile of picks in 2024. I bet you can trade down several times in 2023 and pick up two first round pick and an extra second round pick or two as well as maybe a couple in the third round.

How quickly can you rebuild a team if you had 2/3 first round picks and 2/3 second round picks as well as some third round selections. It also gives you trade commodity.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The prospects of this being worse than you guys put it is disheartening to say the least. We're potentially looking at a stretch rivaling the dire straits of Sun Devil Stadium.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There are failures for Keim/Kliff for sure but i would say last night told us nothing about this subject. We all want to point at somebody to be the scapegoat. The reality is last night the offensive line was all backups, going against a top 5 pass rush, and the offensive game plan had to be thrown out the window on the third play. The penalties are committed by backup OL, some of which who werent even on the team earlier this year, being directed by a backup QB.

Id like to see Keim/kliff outta here too but i dont think this loss should realistically add any credence to that.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I gotta say, this is the first time I've ever considered just being a casual fan until this mess is fixed. I literally am at the point where I just really don't care about team news or players or coaches babbling on and on. It's like the scene in Titanic when the people are on the lifeboat just watching it sink and they can't do a thing to stop it. I do agree tho, the whole thing needs to be torn down, starting with Keim and the rest of his hires, until that happens I just don't care that much
I'm right there with you.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't want immediate success. We had that last year. I want sustainable success.

Thats a full reset including QB
I don't disagree about the QB. We didn't even have immediate success with him, either, as a winning record complete with a meltdown to end the season and a historic playoff loss doesn't equate to success to me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose