What should we do with our WR corps in the offseason

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contract concerns. He's suggesting there are playing concerns.
All 3 receivers missed a significant portion of the season. Definitely sounds like a playing concern to me.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Why would DHop restructure his deal? This offense will be a mess again next year for a variety of reasons.

I expect him to ask for a trade
He might. The interesting question is if we would trade him. There is a compensation element to this but trading Hopkins will make evaluating Kyler pretty tough.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He might. The interesting question is if we would trade him. There is a compensation element to this but trading Hopkins will make evaluating Kyler pretty tough.
It would also signal a complete rebuild. Which they shouldn't do right now due to the Murray injury.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It would also signal a complete rebuild. Which they shouldn't do right now due to the Murray injury.
All I know is that they won a lot of games last season with the same basic roster, you do not tear that down due to the season from hell where anything that can go wrong did go wrong... you fix the trenches

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I know is that they won a lot of games last season with the same basic roster, you do not tear that down due to the season from hell where anything that can go wrong did go wrong... you fix the trenches
Same roster isn't the same team. Coaches get worse, players get worse/less healthy.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Same roster isn't the same team. Coaches get worse, players get worse/less healthy.

Most of the players injured are 26 or under.

Nearly all are under 30.

The only players who have been out long term over 30 are Pugh, Ertz and Hudson and we have/had about 20 players out.

But old

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Unless you have flipped on Murray as an organization which is not out of the realm of possibility especially if you are moving on from Kliff.

I can see a GM coming in and saying they are going to restart the clock on the org in 2024 by trading Kyler and will use the 2023 as an excuse to jump start the process. Normally I wouldn't think that would be a legit option but Mike isn't infatuated with Kyler like most owners are with their young QBs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...except for 2/5 of your offensive line. So, nothing important.

Hate to tell you this but a whole bunch of O lines are starting multiple players in their 30s.

Including the two current superbowl favorites Eagles and Bills.

I get people are mad and don't like Keim but dudes are just saying things that make no sense.

The argument was "its the same roster but its older" when most injuries have been younger guys. And now it's "old O line" when lots of O lines have 2-3 30+ players on them.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Hate to tell you this but a whole bunch of O lines are starting multiple players in their 30s.

Including the two current superbowl favorites Eagles and Bills.

I get people are mad and don't like Keim but dudes are just saying things that make no sense.

The argument was "its the same roster but its older" when most injuries have been younger guys. And now it's "old O line" when lots of O lines have 2-3 30+ players on them.
They aren't starting; they're on IR. They're gone after this season, too. It makes no sense to not be pleased with this? Strange take.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They aren't starting; they're on IR. They're gone after this season, too. It makes no sense to not be pleased with this? Strange take.

What you on about? You're bemoaning our "old starters" and I'm simply pointing out it's not remotely unusual.

I'm noticing a tonne of reverse exceptionalism around here lately criticising the org for doing or not doing things that are completely normal around the league, including at top orgs.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unless you have flipped on Murray as an organization which is not out of the realm of possibility especially if you are moving on from Kliff.

I can see a GM coming in and saying they are going to restart the clock on the org in 2024 by trading Kyler and will use the 2023 as an excuse to jump start the process. Normally I wouldn't think that would be a legit option but Mike isn't infatuated with Kyler like most owners are with their young QBs.

Who says?

And if so, why did he sign off on the new deal rather than let things play out for another year?

Stout

Reaction score
What you on about? You're bemoaning our "old starters" and I'm simply pointing out it's not remotely unusual.

I'm noticing a tonne of reverse exceptionalism around here lately criticising the org for doing or not doing things that are completely normal around the league, including at top orgs.
So you're good that Pugh and Hudson, old and broken, didn't start much this season, are gone next season, and we have to fill their spots AND RG (unless I'm wrong and Hernandez was signed for more than one season)? You're trying to say the roster is just as good as last season, even though the IOL is a gaping hole next year? Madness, even for you.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you're good that Pugh and Hudson, old and broken, didn't start much this season, are gone next season, and we have to fill their spots AND RG (unless I'm wrong and Hernandez was signed for more than one season)? You're trying to say the roster is just as good as last season, even though the IOL is a gaping hole next year? Madness, even for you.

I'm saying that there's no fault to be found. It's as likely they both play a full season as not (and Hudson is under contract next year).

I'm not sure what the roster being similar to last year has anything to do with next year.

It was just bad luck. No fault to be assigned.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Love Dhop but we have to try to make his 2023 and 2024 cap hits equal to his value, and very unfortunately (especially for us), he's on the wrong side of 30. Don't get me wrong, he'll still be very good for a couple more years, but he won't be worth the proverbial max contract. If that's what he wants, then we have to think with our mind and not with our heart, and cut him loose.

Same with Brown. He's very good, but not a true #1. If he wants to sign a fair deal, great. If not, we have to move on.

Part of the problem is that we've completely lost (in the blink of an eye) our status as a desirable FA landing spot. Guys like JJ and Dhop want to get away from places like this, not stay or join them. Our cost of retaining our talent has now increased significantly, and our leadership has only themselves to blame.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It's amazing how Rondale Moore made a career out of basically 1 game against OSU about 5 years ago.
Since 2018, he's played more than 8 games in a season 1 time. Played more than 4 games twice.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's multiple threads and multiple subjects. They can be discussed simultaneously in different threads.

Opnions about different parts of the team with varying amounts of "priority" can be discussed.

If you see no issue with the WR core and you said your piece, why are you still here?

Read Them. Learn Them. Live Them.

This is a PG-13 board. As a result, the following Cardinal Rules are in effect immediately:

1) Be respectful of the other members

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Keep Dhop and Hollywood. Everyone else in the Wr room should be playing for a spot on the roster.

Stout

Reaction score
I'm saying that there's no fault to be found. It's as likely they both play a full season as not (and Hudson is under contract next year).

I'm not sure what the roster being similar to last year has anything to do with next year.

It was just bad luck. No fault to be assigned.
If we count on Justin Pugh (33 next season) and Rodney Hudson (34 next season), both of whom have dealt with significant injury issues this season, for next year, we deserve all the suckitude we get.

But, hey, let's run it back with A.J. Green. He's another guy you harped on about how age doesn't matter lol

Stout

Reaction score
It's amazing how Rondale Moore made a career out of basically 1 game against OSU about 5 years ago.
Since 2018, he's played more than 8 games in a season 1 time. Played more than 4 games twice.
Yet some posters are absolutely enamored with him.

I mean, give the dude credit. He's turned an injury-riddles almost nothing of a college career into a payday as a 2nd-round pick. Kudos to him!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Right? Keim should be fired for only watching the guys best tape of one game. Isn’t that what happened with Chad Williams and Andy Isabella also?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Right? Keim should be fired for only watching the guys best tape of one game. Isn’t that what happened with Chad Williams and Andy Isabella also?
Keim wants to be the smartest guy in the room. There is no wise voice in Cardinals headquarters. BA was the closest to that role so Keim made him run out of the town.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Hop is over 30 and everyone else with any talent is under 6 foot.

I would address it early in the draft.
I know lots of you hate the idea but we gotts do what we gotta do.

Unless we get an absolute anomoly any DT/NT we pick will take 3 years to show any impact... meanwhile we have a highly compensated QB who has shown he wont throw to a WR he dont trust. So we need a 6 foot 3 guy that he will trust.

WR/OL in round 1
OL/WR in round 2
NT/DT in round 3

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Hop is over 30 and everyone else with any talent is under 6 foot.

I would address it early in the draft.
I know lots of you hate the idea but we gotts do what we gotta do.

Unless we get an absolute anomoly any DT/NT we pick will take 3 years to show any impact... meanwhile we have a highly compensated QB who has shown he wont throw to a WR he dont trust. So we need a 6 foot 3 guy that he will trust.

WR/OL in round 1
OL/WR in round 2
NT/DT in round 3
He cannot throw if he does not have time and he cannot have an efficient passing game without the legit threat of a running game. A special DL guy should be the only preference one makes over going OL. You have to start sometime; the trenches have been criminally neglected for far too long... a guy like D-Hop who can be good for three more years fits the timeframe for developing the guys on the trenches

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard