Watching Hard Knocks Live

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Much better episode than last week, but like our season... meh.

See you all on Dec. 14th.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Kingsbury is a Leo. Apparently he’s a believer in Astrology. It‘s appropriate because male lions are notoriously lazy. They loaf around all day while their mate goes out and brings home the food. They are basically a large, furry leach. Since he’s into Astrology, it’s too bad he can’t find a good soothsayer to call plays for him.
Wtf??? :biglaugh::biglaugh:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Main things I took away were

Kudos to Steve Heiden because the O line played well last week and he didn't have much time.

I haven't changed my mind on the 4th down play. Hopkins was open and it was a **** pass, no matter your view on what happened before. And when Hopkins was on the sideline saying "I'm trying to catch it" I want to hear Kyler say "That was on me".

I'm probably being too critical but when I hear Kyler speak on the sidelines or in a huddle before a drive it's all cliches "Let's go", "Let's do this". I want to hear more from a QB. I feel like the team got a lot more from McCoy.

Kliff is a hard working SOB. His scheme is fine. I'm sure his players like him and I don't feel like the players aren't with him but he's not a leader. His pre and post game team talks are repetetive cliches. There's not much fire there. Nobody is walking out of the room feeling like they can run through a wall or like they got their ass chewed off.

He's the Taco Bell Night Manager of head coaches.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Simmons - why does VJ have him thinking as much as he does?

I think Vance Joseph ruined Simmons’ confidence. I think that a different Defensive Coordinator could have found a way to use him in his first year. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him have success with another team after his contract is up in Arizona (like Reddick)

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Vance Joseph ruined Simmons’ confidence. I think that a different Defensive Coordinator could have found a way to use him in his first year. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him have success with another team after his contract is up in Arizona (like Reddick)
Agree. We can only hope that Vance is gone long before Simmons is. Vance is a horrendous DC. Bidwill needs to open his damn eyes & dispose of him.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Main things I took away were

Kudos to Steve Heiden because the O line played well last week and he didn't have much time.

I haven't changed my mind on the 4th down play. Hopkins was open and it was a **** pass, no matter your view on what happened before. And when Hopkins was on the sideline saying "I'm trying to catch it" I want to hear Kyler say "That was on me".

I'm probably being too critical but when I hear Kyler speak on the sidelines or in a huddle before a drive it's all cliches "Let's go", "Let's do this". I want to hear more from a QB. I feel like the team got a lot more from McCoy.

Kliff is a hard working SOB. His scheme is fine. I'm sure his players like him and I don't feel like the players aren't with him but he's not a leader. His pre and post game team talks are repetetive cliches. There's not much fire there. Nobody is walking out of the room feeling like they can run through a wall or like they got their ass chewed off.

He's the Taco Bell Night Manager of head coaches.
I’m not a fan of the scheme, but worse is that it doesn’t fit Murray. He’s become an immobile QB. I suppose the fear of injury dominates. The offense does look better when McCoy runs it. He reads defenses better and is more decisive. That said, the contract says Murray is the starting QB. You have to shape the offense to him. Kingsbury has done little to slow the rush and give Murray the time to throw. Murray should be on the move more. Rolling out takes away the rush from at least one side. Murray can use his elusiveness better. Certainly a better O-line would help but you have to coach to what you have. Slants and quick hitting passes would also slow rushes and blitzes. Keeping a back in more often would let Murray throw deep more often. He has the weapon in Brown. Use him!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the scheme, but worse is that it doesn’t fit Murray. He’s become an immobile QB. I suppose the fear of injury dominates. The offense does look better when McCoy runs it. He reads defenses better and is more decisive. That said, the contract says Murray is the starting QB. You have to shape the offense to him. Kingsbury has done little to slow the rush and give Murray the time to throw. Murray should be on the move more. Rolling out takes away the rush from at least one side. Murray can use his elusiveness better. Certainly a better O-line would help but you have to coach to what you have. Slants and quick hitting passes would also slow rushes and blitzes. Keeping a back in more often would let Murray throw deep more often. He has the weapon in Brown. Use him!

Hard for any scheme to work when your QB can't read defenses well, can't throw to guys that aren't visibly open (no anticipation) and is awful throwing the ball past 10 yards this season.

I think Kliff wants to do all those things more. More under centre, more bootlegs/roll outs etc. You see them far more when McCoy starts. I just don't think Kyler can do them well so he takes them out. For a mobile QB he's pretty poor throwing on the run. He ran a bootleg under C in the 2nd Seahawks game I think it was. Kyler rolled out and threw on the run to a wide open Ertz and was off target.

I'm also tired of the O line excuses. He's the 11th cleanest starting QB in the league yet has the 27th depth of target. His pressure rate is only 0.6% more than Tua who has the 3rd highest DoT.

Kliff has his issues and it's time for a change, but the greatest of coaches couldn't do much with Kyler this year. How do you scheme for guys being open but either not being seen or the pass being thrown 2 yards out of bounds or underthrown and intercepted?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Hard for any scheme to work when your QB can't read defenses well, can't throw to guys that aren't visibly open (no anticipation) and is awful throwing the ball past 10 yards this season.

I think Kliff wants to do all those things more. More under centre, more bootlegs/roll outs etc. You see them far more when McCoy starts. I just don't think Kyler can do them well so he takes them out. For a mobile QB he's pretty poor throwing on the run. He ran a bootleg under C in the 2nd Seahawks game I think it was. Kyler rolled out and threw on the run to a wide open Ertz and was off target.

I'm also tired of the O line excuses. He's the 11th cleanest starting QB in the league yet has the 27th depth of target. His pressure rate is only 0.6% more than Tua who has the 3rd highest DoT.

Kliff has his issues and it's time for a change, but the greatest of coaches couldn't do much with Kyler this year. How do you scheme for guys being open but either not being seen or the pass being thrown 2 yards out of bounds or underthrown and intercepted?
I will grant both of your points on reading defenses and throwing receivers open. However, I’ll take issue on deep balls. I also disagree on the pressure numbers. I haven‘t felt like those numbers accurately reflected my observation. Initially Murray was one of the most accurate deep throwers as tested. He is not now. He initially would occasionally get careless and throw off his back foot. By year 2 he began to correct that. However over the course of the last 2 seasons the pressure caused him to regress and throw off his back foot more often, destroying his accuracy.

Certainly Murray is now gun shy. At time he anticipates pressure even when it isn’t there. They need to rebuild that line and rebuild Murray’s confidence in the new line. Do that; add a new coach and Murray may well become the QB the Cards need.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will grant both of your points on reading defenses and throwing receivers open. However, I’ll take issue on deep balls. I also disagree on the pressure numbers. I haven‘t felt like those numbers accurately reflected my observation. Initially Murray was one of the most accurate deep throwers as tested. He is not now. He initially would occasionally get careless and throw off his back foot. By year 2 he began to correct that. However over the course of the last 2 seasons the pressure caused him to regress and throw off his back foot more often, destroying his accuracy.

Certainly Murray is now gun shy. At time he anticipates pressure even when it isn’t there. They need to rebuild that line and rebuild Murray’s confidence in the new line. Do that; add a new coach and Murray may well become the QB the Cards need.

The problem is that with any other QB I would expect them to stay in the pocket and either make the throw or take the sack.

Purdy made a throw to Kittle on Sunday where he stands tall in the face of a free rusher and throws to Kittle with anticipation while Kittle has his back turned. Then take a huge hit.

I don't think I've ever seen Kyler make such a throw.

Kyler worries too much about getting hit. If the only way he can be good is to have a great O line he has confidence in he's probably never going to be good.

I'm tired of the "he needs top receivers then he will show us" and "he needs a better O line. Then he will show what he can do". Good QBs elevate others, they don't need elevating.

Mahomes has played behind an awful line this year but is tracking to be MVP.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The problem is that with any other QB I would expect them to stay in the pocket and either make the throw or take the sack.

Purdy made a throw to Kittle on Sunday where he stands tall in the face of a free rusher and throws to Kittle with anticipation while Kittle has his back turned. Then take a huge hit.

Kyler worries too much about getting hit. If the only way he can be good is to have a great O line he has confidence in he's probably never going to be good.

I'm tired of the "he needs top receivers then he will show us" and "he needs a better O line. Then he will show what he can do". Good QBs elevate others, they don't need elevating.

Fwiw, it’s idiotic to say that Mahomes has played behind an “awful” OL. Most rankings have their OL at #3 in the NFL, while the Cardinals are in the 20’s and sinking. And to mention Brock Purdy in any thread just destroys your credibility entirely. When a D can hold a highly vaunted offense like the Dolphins to 300 total yards, force 4 turnovers, score a defensive touchdown, and hold them to 14 first downs, then their QB doesn’t have to do much to walk away with a win.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I just want the Cardinals to have a good OL, it does not have to be great, for not only Kyler Murray but for our backs as well. Granted, he had decent OL play before the injuries and Kyler still did not play well, but it would have helped if the center position did not come across as the weakest link when this OL was still healthy. When a guy wants to retire, he has already checked out of the game, and the Cards should have never brought Hudson or Pugh back

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fwiw, it’s idiotic to say that Mahomes has played behind an “awful” OL. Most rankings have their OL at #3 in the NFL, while the Cardinals are in the 20’s and sinking. And to mention Brock Purdy in any thread just destroys your credibility entirely. When a D can hold a highly vaunted offense like the Dolphins to 300 total yards, force 4 turnovers, score a defensive touchdown, and hold them to 14 first downs, then their QB doesn’t have to do much to walk away with a win.

Who thinks the Chiefs have a top 3 O line?

Mahomes has a 21.2% pressure rate. That's more than Kyler. He has more hurries, more hits, and more pressure than Kyler. One is MVP. One is statictically bottom 5 in the league.

It's got better recently but for the first half of the season it was trash. If you're leaning on PFF until a couple of weeks ago the Chiefs had a worse pass protection grade than the Cardinals. After week 12 which was the last time I checked they had a 66 pass blocking grade vs 68 for the Cardinals.

ESPN has them as the best pass blocking team in the league but their numbers are always drunk. They have the Cards 14th, the awful Rams 19th and the Cowboys last.

And it's not just my opinion

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Who thinks the Chiefs have a top 3 O line?

Mahomes has a 21.2% pressure rate. That's more than Kyler. He has more hurries, more hits, and more pressure than Kyler. One is MVP. One is statictically bottom 5 in the league.

It's got better recently but for the first half of the season it was trash. If you're leaning on PFF until a couple of weeks ago the Chiefs had a worse pass protection grade than the Cardinals. After week 12 which was the last time I checked they had a 66 pass blocking grade vs 68 for the Cardinals.

ESPN has them as the best pass blocking team in the league but their numbers are always drunk. They have the Cards 14th, the awful Rams 19th and the Cowboys last.

And it's not just my opinion

Attachments

• 5D580CD8-7835-44EE-8C21-0B45CE57F633.jpeg
    5D580CD8-7835-44EE-8C21-0B45CE57F633.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 2BDFEA41-E489-4472-B69C-AD6A39857F3F.png
    2BDFEA41-E489-4472-B69C-AD6A39857F3F.png
    469.3 KB · Views: 13

Staff online