I am not saying Colt is great (he is not) but..

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we have a young, talented QB that needs to continue to improve, why would you consider starting a 36 year old journeyman has been the rest of the season??? This mentality is beyond silly. QB play means almost nothing when you have a team that’s atrociously bad in the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball. And a HC who who gets outcoached 95% of the time doesn’t help either.

QB play means everything, always.

And you sit him until he changes his "I know everything and I don't need to change anything" attitude and starts to put the work in and lead this offense and team as a whole.

When Kyler starts doing all the things McCoy does outside of throwing a football he can have his job back.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Our offense generated 10 points and our QB threw an interception. But no fault on the QB? And before everyone starts bleating about the injuries, kyker had a similar slew of injuries to his surrounding cast and the cast seemed just fine around mccoy last week when people were crowing about how mccoy did against a “good” (lol) rams defense. Let’s keep the playing field even here.
It sounds a lot like you're holding 36 year old Colt McCoy making $2.5 million this year to the same standard as Kyler Murray, who was paid $24.5 million this season and is a 2x Pro Bowler.

Yes, let's keep the playing field even.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Our offense generated 10 points and our QB threw an interception. But no fault on the QB? And before everyone starts bleating about the injuries, kyker had a similar slew of injuries to his surrounding cast and the cast seemed just fine around mccoy last week when people were crowing about how mccoy did against a “good” (lol) rams defense. Let’s keep the playing field even here.
Are you becoming a Kyler apologist? Our RB gifted the other team in INT, and Colt was in an impossible game. Kyler couldn't have done it any better, and I think any levelheaded person would've absolved him if he'd put in the same performance. I know I've already said I would.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It sounds a lot like you're holding 36 year old Colt McCoy making $2.5 million this year to the same standard as Kyler Murray, who was paid $24.5 million this season and is a 2x Pro Bowler.

Yes, let's keep the playing field even.
I’m holding anyone that takes the field and snaps for a week in practice and in a game to the same standard because it’s football and $$ doesn’t impact a damn thing on the field.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Are you becoming a Kyler apologist? Our RB gifted the other team in INT, and Colt was in an impossible game. Kyler couldn't have done it any better, and I think any levelheaded person would've absolved him if he'd put in the same performance. I know I've already said I would.
A) that interception was on colt. The ball is behind Conner.
B) I think kyler still loses this game, but I’m unsure about the “any better” because of his wheels (if he was healthy). It’s an added component that the niners would have had to gameplan and it’s an X factor that just doesn’t exist with mccoy. Let’s be honest, kylers legs are the single explosive weapon this team has.
C) it’s easy to say you would have excused him, but the rhetoric on this board really says otherwise.

And no, I’m not a kyler apologist. He has flat out sucked and I’ve beaten him up consistently about not being a student of the game. But I think those whose sole focus has been kyler denigration can’t seem to find any blame elsewhere. My personality trait that seeks balance can’t help but point out skewed arguments, hyperbole and hypocrisy.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Colt Mania…that was something.

You guys know that it’s totally okay to criticize Kyler without going fan boy on a career journeyman scrub? Same with Kliff the
I’m holding anyone that takes the field and snaps for a week in practice and in a game to the same standard because it’s football and $$ doesn’t impact a damn thing on the field.
Really. McCoy is a backup for a reason. Different expectations.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

And you sit him until he changes his "I know everything and I don't need to change anything" attitude and starts to put the work in and lead this offense and team as a whole.

When Kyler starts doing all the things McCoy does outside of throwing a football he can have his job back.
Sorry, but I disagree. If McCoy is so prepared, and your convinced that Murray isn’t, then why the hell did we get our butts handed to us last night? It’s because we got destroyed in the trenches. That’s why. And why are you certain that Murray‘s attitude is that he knows everything, and that he isn’t putting in the work to improve??? In the 3 games he played in once Hop got back, he completed over 70%, 6 tds / 2 picks, and a passer rating over 100, and sadly, he was our leading rusher during that stretch. So, hard to argue that he wasn’t in improvement mode until the injury. Do I think he would have won with Murray last night? Absolutely not! And it wouldn’t be because Murray was or wasn’t prepared. It’s because the Niners would dominate the trenches regardless of who the QB was.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And then there are facts. 8 backups including a decimated OL will impact the QB’s ability to play up to standards/expectation.
When was the last game kyler played with a full deck? He didn’t have hop - who has been determined to be the most important player on this offense for 6 of 9 games and how many games was he playing behind 3 backup olinemen. It really hasn’t been all that different. And as I stated, everyone was just fine with that crew last week.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When was the last game kyler played with a full deck? He didn’t have hop - who has been determined to be the most important player on this offense for 6 of 9 games and how many games was he playing behind 3 backup olinemen. It really hasn’t been all that different. And as I stated, everyone was just fine with that crew last week.
Who said anything about Kyler? I was referring to McCoy and the challenges he had last night. You Kyler apologists are coming unglued.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is the biggest lynchpin in the success of this team offensively? Hop. And kyler had him starting all those weeks during which his averages were compiled? Yeeaaahhh . . .
Murray had Hopkins and his 97 yards per game average for 3 of the 9 games... And he had his best buddy Marquise Brown and his 81 yards per game, and Ertz and his 44 yards per game for the other six... Neither of whom have been available to McCoy, save for 1 catch last week for Ertz. So, that's a very small nit to pick. If anything, I'd say Murray had a better receiving corps on average than McCoy, and certainly more starters on the O-line.

...dave

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Murray had Hopkins and his 97 yards per game average for 3 of the 9 games... And he had his best buddy Marquise Brown and his 81 yards per game, and Ertz and his 44 yards per game for the other six... Neither of whom have been available to McCoy, save for 1 catch last week for Ertz. So, that's a very small nit to pick. If anything, I'd say Murray had a better receiving corps on average than McCoy, and certainly more starters on the O-line.

...dave
Not even close. Not having DHop is significantly a bigger handicap than not having Brown or Ertz, or even Brown AND Ertz. And let’s not forget that our D broke NFL records of ineptitude in our first 3 games.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not even close. Not having DHop is significantly a bigger handicap than not having Brown or Ertz, or even Brown AND Ertz. And let’s not forget that our D broke NFL records of ineptitude in our first 3 games.
That is funny. Bringing up the D after last nights performance. Give us a break.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Reminds me of the boxer who could only throw a knockout punch.