The Trade Deadline thread

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What kind of trade though? We're not in position for a big trade. We don't have a lot of cap space (now or next year) and the team is not close enough to challenge.

I we looking at another Robbie Anderson type move?
Cap doesn’t matter bro.. you do realize Saints were like a gazillion dollars over cap chasing Watson? Rams? Helllo 2022 baby!

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cap doesn’t matter bro.. you do realize Saints were like a gazillion dollars over cap chasing Watson? Rams? Helllo 2022 baby!

LOL no.

Saints are $63 million over the cap next year and they suck. They have no QB, no LT, no pass rush. One decent CB.

The cap is real. You can loan shark from future years but eventually you pay the price.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get the Robbie Anderson trade considering in 2 games they barely played him.

It made sense if Hollywood was out for the season but they said 4-6 weeks and we already used up 2 of them.

So at best, even if Anderson plays every snap from now on, we gave up a 6th and a 7th for a maximum 4 weeks of starting football.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't get the Robbie Anderson trade considering in 2 games they barely played him.

It made sense if Hollywood was out for the season but they said 4-6 weeks and we already used up 2 of them.

So at best, even if Anderson plays every snap from now on, we gave up a 6th and a 7th for a maximum 4 weeks of starting football.
I'm not a Robbie Anderson fan, so I agree. No way the Cardinals keep him around next year either.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
LOL no.

Saints are $63 million over the cap next year and they suck. They have no QB, no LT, no pass rush. One decent CB.

The cap is real. You can loan shark from future years but eventually you pay the price.
This just isn’t correct there are teams over every year that manage to get under through restructuring - Rams. Also the cap is due to rise a good amount during the upcoming year and yesrs… if you want to, the cap can be easily manipulated year after year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This team is delusional so we are more likely to be adding pieces vs trading them like we should.

Hudson should be gone.

Watt should be gone.

Ertz should be gone.

If you aren't close to an extension, Murphy should be gone because you can likely get more for him than the 3rd rnd comp pick if you don't sign any FAs. Same could be said for Allen.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This just isn’t correct there are teams over every year that manage to get under through restructuring - Rams. Also the cap is due to rise a good amount during the upcoming year and yesrs… if you want to, the cap can be easily manipulated year after year.

You can't "easily" manipulate it year after year. It's a myth.

It's like your domestic finances. You can borrow a bit here and save a bit there to get by. And if you stop there you can be ok. You never get even, but you can manage the debt. This is the Steve Keim way.

But when you start borrowing from one bank to pay the interest on another loan, then your into the loan sharks to pay off the banks it eventually comes crashing down. You can look flush for a while while the debt is piling up, but before long you're living in a cardboard box.

And that's where the Saints are going into next year and it's where the Rams are heading.

There's no magic trick. There is a set cap each year (consider it income) and if you're borrowing now from future income the time comes when you have to tighten your belt and live on baked beans.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team is delusional so we are more likely to be adding pieces vs trading them like we should.

Hudson should be gone.

Watt should be gone.

Ertz should be gone.

If you aren't close to an extension, Murphy should be gone because you can likely get more for him than the 3rd rnd comp pick if you don't sign any FAs. Same could be said for Allen.

I still think Allen and Murphy stay unless Keim really low balls them (he's more likely to overpay going off his history). I think the franchise sees them as cornerstone home grown pieces and I think both players are happy and settled in Arizona and would like to stay.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hudson should be gone.

Watt should be gone.

Ertz should be gone.

Hudson is probably untradeable everyone knows he wants to retire. If we were 5-3 not 3-5 he'd probably be playing so maybe going to a good team would be ok with him but we won't get much.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Must be Kyler's fault...I kid, I kid...

Seriously, it's up to the Head Coach who plays. After all, it's HIS playbook, HIS team (supposedly), etc., etc. Of course, none of us have probably seen the practices, preparation, etc. of Mr. Anderson.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Must be Kyler's fault...I kid, I kid...

Seriously, it's up to the Head Coach who plays. After all, it's HIS playbook, HIS team (supposedly), etc., etc. Of course, none of us have probably seen the practices, preparation, etc. of Mr. Anderson.

Well it's always going to take a new player coming in a couple of weeks to even vaguely get the playbook down which is why the trade would only even make sense if Hollywood was out all season and not 4-6 weeks.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well it's always going to take a new player coming in a couple of weeks to even vaguely get the playbook down which is why the trade would only even make sense if Hollywood was out all season and not 4-6 weeks.
Still, it's not a bad trade if he ends up replacing AJ Green as soon as he gets that easy verbiage down in Kliff's simple playbook :mrgreen:

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cardinals have less wins than Washington team who are the equivalent of pre 2020 Suns under Sarver. They don't know if their franchise owner will dig in and not sell the team, misspell their ROH members, who doesn't pay their raffle ticket winners, doesn't want to build a new stadium without public money where bathrooms above dont leak onto fans, issues at workplace, they may end up moving too...and the Cardinals are worse than them....

The fact you are all merrily discussing that a trade or two can help means Christmas season is around the corner for miracles. God bless your hearts.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinals have less wins than Washington team who are the equivalent of pre 2020 Suns under Sarver. They don't know if their franchise owner will dig in and not sell the team, misspell their ROH members, who doesn't pay their raffle ticket winners, doesn't want to build a new stadium without public money where bathrooms above dont leak onto fans, issues at workplace, they may end up moving too...and the Cardinals are worse than them....

The fact you are all merrily discussing that a trade or two can help means Christmas season is around the corner for miracles. God bless your hearts.
Brought the fact that Washington more wins that us right now

3-11 streak going on

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hudson is probably untradeable everyone knows he wants to retire. If we were 5-3 not 3-5 he'd probably be playing so maybe going to a good team would be ok with him but we won't get much.
You don't really need to get much back. I just think OL is a need around the league and Hudson might heal up quicker if he was on a team that had him under C more and was competitive.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You can't "easily" manipulate it year after year. It's a myth.

It's like your domestic finances. You can borrow a bit here and save a bit there to get by. And if you stop there you can be ok. You never get even, but you can manage the debt. This is the Steve Keim way.

But when you start borrowing from one bank to pay the interest on another loan, then your into the loan sharks to pay off the banks it eventually comes crashing down. You can look flush for a while while the debt is piling up, but before long you're living in a cardboard box.

And that's where the Saints are going into next year and it's where the Rams are heading.

There's no magic trick. There is a set cap each year (consider it income) and if you're borrowing now from future income the time comes when you have to tighten your belt and live on baked beans.
No it’s not a myth, if I find time this week I will do the analysis this week for you… beyond the easy ways to manipulate the cap (trust me NO isn’t going to be in cap hell, they will manipulate it again just like the rams do every year if they feel they can field a contender/make franchise altering moves).

Also, What happened in the NBA ~6 years ago? when we saw the cap number jump exponentially in the NBA and we saw the likes of Allan Crabbe sign I believe a 4 year $80mm+ agreement is about to happen to the NFL to an EXTENT. You don’t think the owners/players know this? It’s going to increase quite a bit and thus these longer based contracts - like Kylers are going to look like a steal in a few years.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Hudson should be gone.

Watt should be gone.

Ertz should be gone.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
1000%. Will it matter when we have Keim as the GM? Probably not, but it is still the right move to make. Instead we will probably give up picks for a player on an expiring deal in the pursuit of making the playoffs which we end up missing and firing then our HC.

Not being able to count on Kyler to play at a league average level this year was not something I was expecting.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1000%. Will it matter when we have Keim as the GM? Probably not, but it is still the right move to make. Instead we will probably give up picks for a player on an expiring deal in the pursuit of making the playoffs which we end up missing and firing then our HC.

Not being able to count on Kyler to play at a league average level this year was not something I was expecting.
Can we get some info on who advised Bidwill to give out extensions worth six years? There must be an external advisor right?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Can we get some info on who advised Bidwill to give out extensions worth six years? There must be an external advisor right?
I am pretty sure he gave those to match Kyler's extension.

Bidwill coming out and acknowledging this would be a great start.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am pretty sure he gave those to match Kyler's extension.
If Bidwill is going to do all this by himself without input, atleast he should hire a witch who watches football on Sundays to advise him. Advise would be "my child, stop talking about six year extensions..."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort