2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Brooklyn rethinks things later and is willing to take Ayton and Jae plus picks for Durant? That works salary wise. I think I would be OK with that with Landale and Biz playing. Landale is not Ayton, but he would take some of the sting out of losing him.
There is NO WAY I want to do that deal instead of Bridges.

I wouldn’t make Ayton/Jae for KD. That Suns isn’t guaranteed a title near as close as I think the one I conjured up AND it severely weakens us for the future.

You can still build around Book/Ayton if Book/Ayton/CP3/KD doesn’t work. You can’t build around Book/Bridges nearly as easy.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure a player like Bridges is easy to find by any means. The key is the team you have when the trade is done. Not just which player is better.

But what is Bridges? Realistically, I know he makes funny faces and dances

But his offense is super streaky and his lock down defense was anything but in the Bucks and Mavs series.

What are you gonna do start KD, Bridges and Cam? That team is super small

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

But his offense is super streaky and his lock down defense was anything but in the Bucks and Mavs series.

Mikal has his limitations but he’s getting better every season. It’s a wings league.

Ayton will never live up to his potential.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mikal has his limitations but he’s getting better every season. It’s a wings league.

Ayton will never live up to his potential.
He’s not. He’s the same player he was 2 years ago really

That’s the biggest complaint here. He hasn’t added anything to his game

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man… if that is just a total implosion in Brooklyn, maybe we can get Durant for Pennies on the dollar later in trade.

If we could somehow move Bridges, Crowder, Dario and picks for KD, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

I honestly think this is insanity. I am someone who has backed Ayton as an impact player... I think Bridges is like... 10 times as impactful as Ayton.

I think he's on a steal of a contract, I think he's an absolute glue guy in the locker room, he's the definition of a 3 and D player, which defines the modern NBA, he's also as durable as it gets.

Furthermore, if you give a rat's buttox about metric stats, Bridges is arguably the Suns most important player. Over the last few years the Suns play pretty well no matter who is ON the court (aside from the tragedy that is Elfrid Payton) but there is only one guy who the Suns genuinely struggle when that player is resting... Bridges.

He does everything well, and some things exceptionally well.

I am not giving up Bridges, plus contract assets, plus roughly a half decade of our draft, for a dude pushing his mid 30s, who has not been able to stay healthy and is a massive drama queen.

We keep this core intact... we're a contender for at least the next 5 years, we trade for Durant... we might have a shot for 1 or 2 years... assuming trading for him doesn't ruin the team from the jump.

I'm only trading for Durant if it's a steal.

Cam Johnson, Saric, Crowder, 2 picks... that is about the limit of my offer.

I don't trust Durant.

Teams that go all in, trading for one guy, giving up talent and every pick available... those teams lose those trades every time. The only "win" of those types of trades that I can recall might be AD to the Lakers... because they won a title... a joke of a title, and they're still paying for it, perhaps at the cost of the biggest prospect in a decade.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Durant, with multiple MVPs as teammates, didn't win in OKC, he didn't improve the Warriors, he's provided absolutely nothing to the Nets.

If we can get him on a bargain... maybe?

I ain't selling my soul for that guy.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

He is literally one of the best defenders (if not THE best) in the entire league.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I think people mistake comments about bridges being a great defender as being a “lock down” defender. He’s not. What makes him an elite defender is his combination of being a terrific one-on-one defender (note I didn’t say “lockdown”) with being an absolutely elite team defender. He wreaks havoc in passing lanes, as a switch defender, chase down shot blocker, etc. I think he’s a somewhat unique beast in that regard.

That said, I do the bridges deal. I likely don’t do Ayton deal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if we have to make such hard decisions.

I keep thinking what the Suns could have been if they had swung the trade for Bojan Bogdanovic and Jarred Vanderbilt.

It's hard remaining patient, but there should be some good trades available starting December 15th until the trade deadline.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think people mistake comments about bridges being a great defender as being a “lock down” defender. He’s not. What makes him an elite defender is his combination of being a terrific one-on-one defender (note I didn’t say “lockdown”) with being an absolutely elite team defender. He wreaks havoc in passing lanes, as a switch defender, chase down shot blocker, etc. I think he’s a somewhat unique beast in that regard.

That said, I do the bridges deal. I likely don’t do Ayton deal.

I'd add that he's also insanely consistent on D. You're getting 100% from him on each and every possession. It doesn't matter if it's the 1st quarter vs the Rockets in November or the 4th quarter of a playoff game vs Dallas in June, he's giving you a great defensive performance for 30+ minutes a night. I've never seen someone so committed on defense. I can't think of a time when he didn't show up on that end.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure if we have to make such hard decisions.

I keep thinking what the Suns could have been if they had swung the trade for Bojan Bogdanovic and Jarred Vanderbilt.

It's hard remaining patient, but there should be some good trades available starting December 15th until the trade deadline.
Yeah, getting Bogdan would have been good without Vanderbilt. If that was what kept us from getting him, I think it was a mistake.

But all in all, team is looking better than I expected so far, so I am still optimistic one good move at the deadline could make us real contenders.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Opponents fear Bridges more than Ayton.
Um, I am a huge Bridges fan, but I do not agree with that statement.

Ayton when he is motivated is a much more dominating force than Mikal, the problem is he's not at all consistent.

Personally both would be on my do not move for Durant list at this point.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How often do you hear opposing players talk about Aytons D or even his offense in a post-game interview? Can't remember when.

They are always talking about how tough it is to play against Mikal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, getting Bogdan would have been good without Vanderbilt. If that was what kept us from getting him, I think it was a mistake.

But all in all, team is looking better than I expected so far, so I am still optimistic one good move at the deadline could make us real contenders.

I agree, trading for Bojan Bogdanovic alone would have been a nice addition. There should be some good options ahead. The Suns do not need to mortgage their future.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Raptors 3-3
Sixers 3-4
Heat 2-5
Nets 1-5
Warriors 3-4
Clippers 2-4
Mavericks 3-3
Nuggets 4-3

Didn't see all that coming.

Didn't expect the Blazers, Spurs, Jazz, Knicks and Hornets to be doing as well as they are either.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Raptors 3-3
Sixers 3-4
Heat 2-5
Nets 1-5
Warriors 3-4
Clippers 2-4
Mavericks 3-3
Nuggets 4-3

Didn't expect the Blazers, Spurs, Jazz, Knicks and Hornets to be doing as well as they are either.
Spurs and jazz will come back to earth. Knicks we’re not bad two years ago and added a sorely missing piece in a pg. blazers aren’t bad from a talent perspective but won’t be a real contender. As far as the hornets - lots of young talent. This could just be a young talented team finally starting to realize their potential.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Raptors 3-3
Sixers 3-4
Heat 2-5
Nets 1-5
Warriors 3-4
Clippers 2-4
Mavericks 3-3
Nuggets 4-3

Raptors are a bit complacent it seems.
Sixers maybe Doc just needs to go.
Heat same as raptors.
Nets have Simmons and he’s still who we thought he was. KD is looking a bit old.

Warriors have more of a hangover than the suns with their green/Poole drama.

Clippers, Leonard is in worse shape than we thought from that injury.

Mavs have new additions but Luka is still ball dominate as ever.

Nuggets are over hyped imo, Gordon and MPJ.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Fans in some of those cities will start to revolt soon.
I'm actually kind of shocked no one has flipped and burned cars in LA yet.
Lots of teams will be blowing it up dec/jan maybe we can catch a PF or PG in the aftermath.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA takes away two second round picks from the 76ers in regard to early contact with free agents.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lauri was a very late bloomer. @AzStevenCal
I think injuries, life as a newlywed and then as a new father (twice) along with questionable coaching contributed to his inconsistent showing the past few years. He finally got a good coach but I guess the coach didn't think his game matched his style so now he's getting a chance to shine on a team with few expectations.

Maybe he's benefitting from opponents that don't take him or Utah seriously but it's nice to see showing so well. He's still only 25 so he should be entering his best years.