House of the Dragon (HBO)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This show ain’t good enough to keep jumping time like it is. There’s such a lack of connection to so many key characters.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This show ain’t good enough to keep jumping time like it is. There’s such a lack of connection to so many key characters.
I was surprised there was another time jump. The showrunners obviously don't want you to get hooked on the "kid" characters and focus more on the adults. Multiple time jumps in Season 1 feels scattershot to say the least.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was surprised there was another time jump. The showrunners obviously don't want you to get hooked on the "kid" characters and focus more on the adults. Multiple time jumps in Season 1 feels scattershot to say the least.
Also seems like they don’t trust audience to buy into the kids being major players simply because they’re kids… which is weird because if the characters and actors are GOOD, GOT is the shining example of kid character buy-ins with Joffrey and Arya being amongst the most beloathed and beloved characters from the get go.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the time jumps, but I heard that when all is said and done they plan on covering 150 years, thus making the time jumps necessary. Apparently this generation is just setting the table for the main story. Here is a quote from one of the creators:
”We’re telling a story of a generational war. We set everything up so by the time that first sword stroke falls, you understand all the players – where they are and why they are. All the history is there instead of being told to you in exposition. This way you get to see it all happen.”

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the time jumps, but I heard that when all is said and done they plan on covering 150 years, thus making the time jumps necessary. Apparently this generation is just setting the table for the main story. Here is a quote from one of the creators:
”We’re telling a story of a generational war. We set everything up so by the time that first sword stroke falls, you understand all the players – where they are and why they are. All the history is there instead of being told to you in exposition. This way you get to see it all happen.”
I don't have skin in the game with this show, but that sounds like hella bad story telling. Plus, they want multiple seasons and a long run like GoT, right? Easy to do 150 years with that format. Just time jump between seasons. And don't use episode after episode merely to "set the table" for the main story lol

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the premise, but it doesn't make it any less poor storytelling. A time jump is no big deal. Multiple time jumps though in such a short span? With any series you should want people to get attached and care about the characters and the actors playing them. When you keep time jumping, it's hard to do that. I mean if you think the show is going to last as long as the previous series, can you at least wait a season or 2?

The original GOT was part of the same generational war so that really isn't an excuse.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They’re planning on covering 150 years?!? Holy crap that’s ambitious.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the premise, but it doesn't make it any less poor storytelling. A time jump is no big deal. Multiple time jumps though in such a short span? With any series you should want people to get attached and care about the characters and the actors playing them. When you keep time jumping, it's hard to do that. I mean if you think the show is going to last as long as the previous series, can you at least wait a season or 2?

The original GOT was part of the same generational war so that really isn't an excuse.
Agreed.

A show that spans 150 years is silly. It presupposes that plot is more important than characters.

There’s a reason a show like The Walking Dead eventually ends with a whimper story wise and in the ratings… it’s because there’s barely anyone left in the show that made the people stay once the hook brought them in.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would have been a great lead up to a finale. However, leaving us here? Come on.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Also seems like they don’t trust audience to buy into the kids being major players simply because they’re kids… which is weird because if the characters and actors are GOOD, GOT is the shining example of kid character buy-ins with Joffrey and Arya being amongst the most beloathed and beloved characters from the get go.
Rob Stark and Jon Snow were supposed to be like 13 or 14 in the books.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This shot was beyond bad ass.

You must be registered for see images attach

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

Apparently George RR Martin wanted even more time jumps.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
After watching the first 3 episodes I gave up on this series. I found characters boring and the storyline of marrying a pre-teen girl to produce an heir very cringeworthy.

Does House of Dragon get better? Is it worth another shot?

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
After watching the first 3 episodes I gave up on this series. I found characters boring and the storyline of marrying a pre-teen girl to produce an heir very cringeworthy.

Does House of Dragon get better? Is it worth another shot?

I actually just watched this a few weeks ago. There is storyline that bothered me (not spoiling) that kind of takes center focus once episode 6 starts, mostly because it added unnecessary drama but mostly I would not believe the character would be that stupid. But I think it gets more interesting as well.

All in all I still liked it. It changes relatively drastically at episode 6, and without going into real spoilers, there is a time jump so it doesn't center on them being kids anymore, although the heir/throne is still kind of the central plot, just different.

If you haven't liked it by now, I suppose you may not like it later, but you may enjoy the second half more so I don't know.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I enjoyed it for what it was. Not a must watch IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose