The Clock is Ticking, Steve

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the team has $17.2 mm in cap space, top 6 or so in the NFL. They actively worked to free up space this year as well.

there are two directions they can go -- or can do both:

the rumors of a trade for a quality CB persist -- and have been repeated not just by Gambo but by Wolfley and other media types connected to the team either directly or via their flagship station.

these same people talk extensions for Jalen Thompson, Zach Allen and Byron Murphy

it will say a great deal about this organization if most of those cap dollars just expired unused

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
no question this team will operate cheaply now that they had to pay K1.

They will cut costs wherever possible and just hope murray is able to generate playoff appearances and success on his own.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Aren’t we supposed to be in the upper half of teams with cap space next year. Could’ve sworn I heard the cap will go up quite a bit, and that we would be in a good position to attack FA next year

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the team has $17.2 mm in cap space, top 6 or so in the NFL. They actively worked to free up space this year as well.

there are two directions they can go -- or can do both:

the rumors of a trade for a quality CB persist -- and have been repeated not just by Gambo but by Wolfley and other media types connected to the team either directly or via their flagship station.

these same people talk extensions for Jalen Thompson, Zach Allen and Byron Murphy

it will say a great deal about this organization if most of those cap dollars just expired unused

In the weekly mailbag someone asks Darren Urban about the CB situation and he essentially said look I am saying again "something is coming" we just don't know when. If Hamilton can't play the first game, for this mystery situation we don't know yet, the something may be this week. If he can it may be after the first week. He seems to be suggesting there's some veteran out there, maybe Alford who the questioner mentioned, who could be signed after the first game as there are financial reasons why signing after the first week is better, apparently relates to hit if you wind up cutting the guy.

So I'm assuming he has a strong reason to think we are going to make a move at CB but no idea what it will be he didn't make any suggestions.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Aren’t we supposed to be in the upper half of teams with cap space next year. Could’ve sworn I heard the cap will go up quite a bit, and that we would be in a good position to attack FA next year
Seems like it's that way every year :rolleyes:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First, Gambo's "They will trade for a QB" thing was always far more likely to be crap than true. Decent starters are rare and good depth is practically none existent.

If it is true, someone like Greedy Williams would have a wide market. Probably 7-8 teams interested and a bidding war. It's not like Keim can just pluck a good CB from somewhere without competition.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think so because we have the least amount of players with contracts heading into next season iirc… @Chopper0080

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Reaction score
Overthecap has them at 9th overall in "effective cap space" with $25mm or so

but even the "effective" is a bit misleading. The team has one offensive line starter under contract, no current CBs under contract, no edge players who as of today have played in an NFL game under contract, two starting DLs (Watt and Allen) are FAs as well..................

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, Gambo's "They will trade for a QB" thing was always far more likely to be crap than true. Decent starters are rare and good depth is practically none existent.

If it is true, someone like Greedy Williams would have a wide market. Probably 7-8 teams interested and a bidding war. It's not like Keim can just pluck a good CB from somewhere without competition.

Is Greedy supposedly available? I googled him and didn't see it other than the Browns version of Mitch on some fan site.

Was never a huge fan of him but we're at the beggars can't be choosers point at CB

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is Greedy supposedly available? I googled him and didn't see it other than the Browns version of Mitch on some fan site.

Was never a huge fan of him but we're at the beggars can't be choosers point at CB

He hasn't fit at the Brown's and is unlikely to start this year going into year 4. He's a prime trade candidate.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
There is a third route, and one that will piss most of us off:

They can save it and roll it over to next season.
After this moronic offseason, I have no doubt this is the option they'll take. Wide open NFC this year?

"We'll punt on the season, because nobody will see that coming!" --Steve Keim

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can't wait for Trader Steve to pull off another Blockbuster Trade:
1. D Hop.
2. JJ
3. $$ (It's Christmas morning)

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Reaction score
the second CB issue has been a recurring problem with Keim

in the Pat P years:

Signed Antonio Cromartie late
Signed Traveon Williams late
actually started Brandon Williams in week one

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Reaction score
the Gladney death is a bad break -- all around (obvs)

but as a GM, you have to respond-

the fact that there are a handful of vet CBs out there and Keim has made no moves -- for fear of guaranteeing a salary if they are on the roster week 1 (??) -- i just dont get

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose