Quick Thought about Murray

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The OTAs are merely an example. I
know lots of people duck them. I just think if Murray wants to take this tram to glory he needs to be special in as many ways as possible. Saying things like he’s confident a contract will get done. Showing up for OTAs and guaranteeing he’ll be there for everything just says he’s all in to win it all. He needs to think being better, not just the same as others.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least 8 key veterans were not there, including Hollywood Brown and most of the staring OL for the VOULNTARY workouts. JJ has posted videos of him working out with Kyler just a week earlier. For all we know, he and Hollywood are working on things on their own since we all know they spend a lot of time in the off season together. The offensive unit for the most part of the same, so I am not at all worried. Now, if he misses the mandatory workouts, then I will start to worry.

Others players missing the VOULNTARY workouts around the league.
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Deebo Samual (Plans on skipping all Offseason Workouts)
Baker Mayfield (no surprise on this one)
Terry McLaurin
Lamar Jackson
Aaron Donald

Lamar has it right!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least 8 key veterans were not there, including Hollywood Brown and most of the staring OL for the VOULNTARY workouts. JJ has posted videos of him working out with Kyler just a week earlier. For all we know, he and Hollywood are working on things on their own since we all know they spend a lot of time in the off season together. The offensive unit for the most part of the same, so I am not at all worried. Now, if he misses the mandatory workouts, then I will start to worry.

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Terry McLaurin
Lamar Jackson
Aaron Donald

Lamar has it right!

This is akin to my kid coming home from school after doing something he shouldn’t and telling me “well Jimmy and Johnny and Maria all did it too”

My answer is the same to him as you. I don’t care what Jimmy Johnny or Maria do they’re not my kids. Their actions don’t affect this household and what happens in it.

Much of the ones you list are masters of their craft and don’t need the work that Kyler does both as a quarterback and as a leader.

Just because others don’t do it doesn’t mean he should too. PERIOD.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is akin to my kid coming home from school after doing something he shouldn’t and telling me “well Jimmy and Johnny and Maria all did it too”

My answer is the same to him as you. I don’t care what Jimmy Johnny or Maria do they’re not my kids. Their actions don’t affect this household and what happens in it.

Much of the ones you list are masters of their craft and don’t need the work that Kyler does both as a quarterback and as a leader.

Just because others don’t do it doesn’t mean he should too. PERIOD.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't feel it's a big deal. This is a different NFL and lots of players skip the voluntary workouts. Larry missed then every year, even when he was a young leader in the team and not one person said said a word.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Terry McLaurin
Lamar Jackson
Aaron Donald

Lamar has it right!

Bit misleading.

Brady and Rodgers used to always attend voluntary workouts. I think they've earned a break at this point in their careers.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't feel it's a big deal. This is a different NFL and lots of players skip the voluntary workouts. Larry missed then every year, even when he was a young leader in the team and not one person said said a word.
Larry was a master even as a youngin. Apples and oranges. Kyler has choked in big games panics regularly. Clearly needs to work on his mechanics as much as possible. Him getting on the same page with his teammates as early as possible would do him wonders and being in the facility actually practicing would benefit him. Trying to compare him to Larry even as a young WR is honestly silly.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bit misleading.

Brady and Rodgers used to always attend voluntary workouts. I think they've earned a break at this point in their careers.
Both Brady and Rodgers have had much more offensive changes than Kyler has this offseason. So not misleading at all. They need time with their revamped offenses. Kylers biggest new toy is one of his closest friends and offseason workout partners.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup Kyler hasen’t earned Jack including a new contract.
Honest question, would you let Kyler walk after next season based on what he has accomplished to date instead of paying him $43 to $45 milliona year?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Honest question, would you let Kyler walk after next season based on what he has accomplished to date instead of paying him $43 to $45 milliona year?

The team has no choice. They literally don't.
He hasn't earned it, has shown major cause for concern...but he has shown flashes and is miles above the next option.
Keims only choice is to take it up the backside and pray he gets a happy ending.

Personally, I think they should give him a carbon copy of Mahomes contract. It pays well, but has lots of outs for the team if it goes bad.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on his current trajectory of improvement that I have seen the last 3 seasons? I would make him play out this season before making a decision. He hasn’t shown me he is “the guy” that can bring a SB to the valley. Could that change? Sure. But as I stand right now I’m doubtful. Don’t care how fun he is to watch at times. So as it stands today unless he shows much improvement in his leadership, calms down in the pocket. Learns how to move inside of it and can learn to see the field better? I’d let him walk.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Based on his current trajectory of improvement that I have seen the last 3 seasons? I would make him play out this season before making a decision. He hasn’t shown me he is “the guy” that can bring a SB to the valley. Could that change? Sure. But as I stand right now I’m doubtful. Don’t care how fun he is to watch at times. So as it stands today unless he shows much improvement in his leadership, calms down in the pocket. Learns how to move inside of it and can learn to see the field better? I’d let him walk.
This. Gotta see him win a couple of playoff clinching games and at least a decent showing in a playoff game to be "worth" $45 mil per season IMO. He's kind of soiled the sheets in those big moments so far. And, yes I know, the rest of the team did to in a couple of them, yada, yada...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It's not a big deal along the lines of something we expect now out of veterans and does not necessarily mean there is detrimental friction with the team... but it does not help him getting better, and that is something which he should do everything in his power to accomplish

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Both Brady and Rodgers have had much more offensive changes than Kyler has this offseason. So not misleading at all. They need time with their revamped offenses. Kylers biggest new toy is one of his closest friends and offseason workout partners.
You want to include great QB's in your narrative of look at who is missing them, so no biggie if he does.

Kyler has infinitely more to learn about the NFL than Brady would with a completely new team and me running the offense.

Brady used to have perfect attendance for many years. But he is also the gold standard of hard work and determination, Kyler has hardly made a footnote in the NFL.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, another refreshing discussion of KM is about to unfold I see.

I think too much is made out of these OTAs. For the entire NFL and every player that chooses not to attend. When has anybody, ever, said "the season was lost in the OTAs."?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Terry McLaurin
Lamar Jackson
Aaron Donald

Lamar has it right!

I’ve always loved the “other guys don’t do it” excuse. Wait, no I don’t, it’s lame. No one can argue there’s anything but positives involved with practicing with your team.

And I’m not just talking murray - who still hasn’t proved he doesn’t need it. I’m also talking someone like hollywood who is new to the team. If you’re new the more reps you get in a new system the more you learn the plays, your assignments gain a rhythm with your teammates, etc.

I’ve just never been one to understand not giving something your all. And skipping anything with your teammates is definitely not giving it your all.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Well, another refreshing discussion of KM is about to unfold I see.

I think too much is made out of these OTAs. For the entire NFL and every player that chooses not to attend. When has anybody, ever, said "the season was lost in the OTAs."?
Not the point. KM folded in the 2nd half of the season (again). And he was clueless in his first playoff game, to put it mildly. As Harry stated, maybe attend them and show a little leadership. And before you fleece us and set us back 5 years. We want him here, show some real leadership. We want nothing more.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I understand things right, it is ok for Kyler to skip OTAs and not show any sort of leadership or attempt to improve his play and it is not ok for the organization to have him play out this year to make sure he deserves a new huge contract?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not the point. KM folded in the 2nd half of the season (again). And he was clueless in his first playoff game, to put it mildly. As Harry stated, maybe attend them and show a little leadership. And before you fleece us and set us back 5 years. We want him here, show some real leadership. We want nothing more.
This fanbase already got fleeced & set back 5 years when Bidwill gave Steve Keim that 5 year extension.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve always loved the “other guys don’t do it” excuse. Wait, no I don’t, it’s lame. No one can argue there’s anything but positives involved with practicing with your team.

And I’m not just talking murray - who still hasn’t proved he doesn’t need it. I’m also talking someone like hollywood who is new to the team. If you’re new the more reps you get in a new system the more you learn the plays, your assignments gain a rhythm with your teammates, etc.

I’ve just never been one to understand not giving something your all. And skipping anything with your teammates is definitely not giving it your all.
100% this

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it’s asking too much for the leader of your team to show up in sunny Arizona to be with your teammates for 3 days. I’m sure Kylee has much more important things going on. Probably a video tournament.
Prim a Dona.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll jump on the Shane bandwagon when he shows me Option #2. As of now it looks like Kyler is holding the upper hand. Shane has an easier job than SK, but gets paid less, also. So let's hear about Option #2.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose