Suns @ Mavericks Sunday Playoff game thread, R2, 5-8-2022 - Game 4

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And on Mother's Day.
Because I'm always the bad guy nowadays..lol... I'll play devil's advocate. (and no, I'm not advocating putting hands on a woman whatsoever) But, what's the full story. Were they mutually talking trash with other fans?...which is what CPs family is as well.... Was it another woman that initiated the contact? Was it them? Lots of variables we don't know. If they were both talking **** and then stuff happened....well, isnt that just like anything else in life? Of course.. it's all just speculation. Like CPs tweet without him fully explaining both sides to be judged.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not very often. It's always been a thing it's very rare for a coach to let a key guy back in the game with 3 fouls in the first half.
Yep. It’s too risky that a stupid ticky tack foul be called. Again, he brought in Paul because right before that Payne took a stupid shot. He didn’t trust Payne so he brought in Paul. Well if you don’t Trust Payne to be out there why the hell is he playing ahead of Holiday? Why?!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not very often. It's always been a thing it's very rare for a coach to let a key guy back in the game with 3 fouls in the first half.

I'm not going to pour over boxscores so unless someone knows an easy way to look it up, I guess this will go unanswered but I have a hard time believing the coach who let his injury prone star continue playing with 3 minutes to go and a 30 point lead wouldn't keep CP3 on the floor with 3 fouls in the first half.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to pour over boxscores so unless someone knows an easy way to look it up, I guess this will go unanswered but I have a hard time believing the coach who let his injury prone star continue playing with 3 minutes to go and a 30 point lead wouldn't keep CP3 on the floor with 3 fouls in the first half.
I am with Russ. It’s not that often. I simply have seen the opposite all the years I have been watching the NBA. Most of the time (not saying never) coaches won’t risk getting a cheap foul and making it worse. Even Monty admitted post game it was a mistake. So he agrees.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am with Russ. It’s not that often. I simply have seen the opposite all the years I have been watching the NBA. Most of the time (not saying never) coaches won’t risk getting a cheap foul and making it worse. Even Monty admitted post game it was a mistake. So he agrees.

I'm not saying it was smart but I'm questioning that this was a first time thing. Paul has played for short sighted coaches before who would risk keeping him out. It didn't work today, no denying that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mavericks confirm what was refereed to by Chris Paul.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul talking to security staff.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker talks about the game. He hasn't seen one quite like it.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Would’ve forced that kid in a room with CP3 for 10 minutes. That’s disgusting.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. We think Luka is whiny ass? This team lovvvves it's ref blaming.. maybe starts with the coach?! Just sayin.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Focused on the fans. Just like we get focused on the refs at times. Good times.

Not advocating fans behavior. Just still. Why? Idiot fanatics are everywhere..
Nawww… I saw CP3 calling a security guy over behind the bench (think it was the start of the 3rd quarter). Apparently some fans got into it with his family sitting behind the Suns bench.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I’m so glad that these games don’t just ruin my day anymore. I still think complaining about the refs is stupid, but whatever. Y’all do you do.

I don’t know where or how my chill post games happened, but it makes watching sports so much easier.
You’re getting old… LOL… welcome to aging bro! :)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Because I'm always the bad guy nowadays..lol... I'll play devil's advocate. (and no, I'm not advocating putting hands on a woman whatsoever) But, what's the full story. Were they mutually talking trash with other fans?...which is what CPs family is as well.... Was it another woman that initiated the contact? Was it them? Lots of variables we don't know. If they were both talking **** and then stuff happened....well, isnt that just like anything else in life? Of course.. it's all just speculation. Like CPs tweet without him fully explaining both sides to be judged.
You’re earning that “bad guy” rep…

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’re earning that “bad guy” rep…
Well. To be fair....to myself. I was being fair. You're the one looking at it after the fact. I wasnt. :) Now we know more... If dude flat out assaulted momma then it makes sense now.

See how that works? ;)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Well. To be fair....to myself. I was being fair. You're the one looking at it after the fact. I wasnt. :) Now we know more... If dude flat out assaulted momma then it makes sense now.

See how that works? ;)
I saw that… but I believed CP3’s take from the start. And I saw him get security involved during the game…

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wow. We think Luka is whiny ass? This team lovvvves it's ref blaming.. maybe starts with the coach?! Just sayin.
Suns were 27th in the league in FT attempts this season. We’ve never gotten a great whistle, especially Booker being a superstar. Monty is one of the most mild mannered coaches in the league.

I’ve never seen a player get a technical for getting fouled…Bottom line is, Suns have to play better and control what we can control. **** the refs, **** the Mavs, let’s play Suns basketball on Tuesday night.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I guess you watched a different game than the rest of the country. Either that or you’re willing to look past an unfairly officiated game. It’s not just Suns fans and players that noticed:

Those last two were two of the worst officiated games I can remember. I wish I wasn’t thinking this but we’re getting into WWF territory. The NBA obviously wants Luka in a starring role.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
There bad calls in every game. Doncic had FIVE FOULS IN THE THIRD QUARTER in Game 3. I can be you every whining douche in Dallas probably thought there was a conspiracy to get him there too.
absolutely, this, I try not to be one of those fans but it does happen. I know it's hard when you see bad calls, I thought the 5th foul on Luka in game 3 was harsh and it caused him to miss much of the fourth quarter when Phoenix went on a mini run. And obviously Luka could not make contact on defense for the rest of the game when he went back. But Dallas overcame it and deserved to win, there were some bad calls against Phoenix as well in game 3.

I missed game 4, but now I'm getting caught up with all of the post game and off court stuff that happened.

Now that it's over, I think the suns need to analyze their own play and not blame the refs. Mark Cuban used to be and now Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy is the poster child for ref blaming and we know that never works. it takes accountability away from the players and I don't think it makes the refs want to change their approach at all. You can address the referees in person on the court face to face and then once you leave it's over.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Just goes to show there's a lot ref blaming everywhere when the end result doesn't go your way. EDIT: I think even when you win you can still bash refs, regardless of if the calls were for or against your team.

After game 2 there were definitely some mavs media that I listen to that were critical of Luka complaining to the refs and chirping at the fans in Phoenix. I have no problem with Luka being called out for that, I think he needs to save his energy. I do wonder if it distracts him. make no mistake, every player that's ever been good in this league has gone on the road and told fans to be quiet after hitting a dagger shot. I recently saw a video of MJ saying a real man talks trash all game regardless of the score lol. For fans though, for me you always wait until the end when you know the game has been won, then tell the fans to be quiet. I don't think Luka is that type of guy though, he's going to talk all game long. As far as the refs, I still think he talks to them too much during the games. he needs to pick his spots, of corse I used to think the same about Tim Duncan and he never matured either. how is the TD bug eyes after every call or no call not a meme? he was like the most perfect player ever except for free throw shooting.

I look back at games 1 and 2, and I do think Luka took a lot of heat in spite of playing at or above his average.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Wow that’s crappy. Nice fans Dallas.
It's embarrassing and I'm not surprised. Dumb fans gonna be dumb, every game I've ever gone to I've seen dumb fans that want to make other people uncomfortable or start some BS. and I will easily say the cowboys fans are the dumbest around, but every fan base has them. You can't reason with them and the ones that are looking for a fight are just waiting for someone to knock them out of their misery. it's not worth it. I don't know why players bring their families down there, I would offer mine a suite if that is an option, but I'm never letting my family sit court side, it would be too much of an unnecessary distraction for me. I know a lot of players do it though and their families should be protected a lot better than they are.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Monty is exactly what Carlisle was to Dallas.....like @lorenzotexan spoke about. Liabilities are never great. Scared liabilities are worse.
I don't want to speak on Monty because I don't follow him and the suns closely, so far I've mostly heard good things about him, especially in the Dallas media, but we will see how he motivates his players now. He definitely has his work cut out for him. I do think that J-Kidd did a good job calling out his players after game 2, he even called out Luka for being a bystander on defense...maybe not the exact words but he definitely addressed it to the media.

The thing with Carisle is that he was always going to do what he wanted to do. If he decides that a player like Brunson is too young to play in a playoff game, then that's it....mind you Luka is also young...so it doesn't have to make sense it just has to make sense to Coach Carlisle. If he decides that Porzingis at 7ft4 is going to stand around on the 3 point line, then that's what happens (yes that was his decision apparently). He would not listen to anyone else in the organization, especially the players. He treated the players poorly as well, which is fine I guess, but it's 2022 not 1998. With that said Carlisle was a good fit with that older Dallas team that had boomers on it and that is why they had success, but failed miserably after Cuban let all of those players go. Cuban may as well of fired Carlisle in 2013 because he was probably dead inside trying to coach young players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA