The 2022 NBA Play-In Tournament + Playoffs Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the interview Steve Kerr talked about the "Code" in the league.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't suspend him but yes, it should have been called a flagrant at the time. It wasn't accidental, maybe he legitimately fell there but as he did he drove himself forward so that he could make contact with Poole. But I'm not sure you want to revisit every single play, Memphis frequently goes too far but so do the Warriors.

That's my point Steve I won't post it but there's a site called Warriorsworld that has a long thread on this because it's a Warriors site. there's 5 different plays from last night alone where Morant comes up limping after a play. The one on Klay, the one Hollinger tweeted out and 3 others, all before the Poole play. The idea that Poole going for a loose ball HE had just poked away caused morant to get hurt is just wrong.

Here's an internet doctor video where he explains what he thinks happens he very clearly says he doesn't think it's anything intentional, that there's actually more contact just a few seconds earlier, and that the hand on the knee couldn't possibly have put enough force to cause an injury, he says if what Poole did caused an injury then he'd injure every patient he examines when he stresses their knee to figure out what's wrong with it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another internet doctor.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The stupid thing about the Poole/Ja thing is it’s the SUPER slow-mo that makes it look “nefarious” and deliberate. In real time it’s a touch foul.

The warriors hate here is understandable considering this is a Suns forum, but this Poole conversation has reached ludicrous speed.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ja Morant had something to say about it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid stupid play by Poole. He was looking right at his knee when he pulled on it. He knew what he was doing. It was dirty as hell. Morant's initial injury might not have happened on that play but at the very least Poole should be assessed a flagrant 2 post game. I really like Poole and don't think he is a dirty player but that was stupid and dangerous.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup Warrior fans are ridiculous. That’s not a basketball play. They know he injured his leg earlier and Poole grabs it.

After the all the Draymond crap, the Zaza Pachulia crap intentionally knocking Kawai out for an entire series and now this, y’all don’t have a leg to stand on saying jack squat about a code.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stupid thing about the Poole/Ja thing is it’s the SUPER slow-mo that makes it look “nefarious” and deliberate. In real time it’s a touch foul.

The warriors hate here is understandable considering this is a Suns forum, but this Poole conversation has reached ludicrous speed.
You’re out to lunch. It’s not a touch foul. He reaches out specifically for a leg they know is injured and pulls on it.

If Steph was playing with a bum knee and someone did that to him, you and Russ would be crying for a three game suspension.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re out to lunch. It’s not a touch foul. He reaches out specifically for a leg they know is injured and pulls on it.

If Steph was playing with a bum knee and someone did that to him, you and Russ would be crying for a three game suspension.

The knee was bumped from behind or side before it was pulled with the hand. So there are really two things going on.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't have any Warriors hate, I usually end up on the side of defending them (except when it involves Pachulia or Green). And I have no particular love for the Grizzlies other than a soft spot for their coach.

I don't know Poole's intent but it is inarguable AFAIC to say he was going for the ball, or to say he didn't grab the knee or to say he didn't pull on the knee. On the face of it, it was a dirty play.

I guess it's possible it had nothing to do with injuring him. For all I know, he might have thought he could pull Morant off balance by doing it which would let his teammate steal the ball. Regardless, grab and pull he did, and worthy of a flagrant 1 at least.

Last edited:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
4 points:

1. Poole was, indeed, initially "going for the ball"
2. while the hand was there, grabbing Ja's knee was Poole's instinctive defensive reaction to impede Ja's mobility on the play.
3. the degree of "pull" is significant, but it most likely aggravated the injury rather than caused it
4. the NBA just reviewed an injury incident in that series and suspended a player, so they need to be consistent.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, look at the video replay on this tweet. The knee was bumped and then grabbed... two actions not just one.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 points:

1. Poole was, indeed, initially "going for the ball"
2. while the hand was there, grabbing Ja's knee was Poole's instinctive defensive reaction to impede Ja's mobility on the play.
3. the degree of "pull" is significant, but it most likely aggravated the injury rather than caused it
4. the NBA just reviewed an incident in that series and suspended a player, so they need to be consistent.
I'm not sure what "consistent" would mean here. Morant might be able to play, GP is out for awhile.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, look at the video replay on this tweet. The knee was bumped and then grabbed... two actions not just one.

Yeah it's two actions, maybe even three if you count the pull as a separate action following the grab. But the bump seems like a normal aggressive basketball play so I don't know why it is brought up.

The non-basketball play is the knee grab and pull and there doesn't need to be an injury for Poole to be penalized for the action.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's two actions, maybe even three if you count the pull as a separate action following the grab. But the bump seems like a normal aggressive basketball play so I don't know why it is brought up.

The non-basketball play is the knee grab and pull and there doesn't need to be an injury for Poole to be penalized for the action.

It's brought up because the knee is pushed in two different opposing directions.

If the knee grab is considered purposeful, why not consider the bump as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's brought up because the knee is pushed in two different directions.

If the knee grab is considered purposeful, why not consider the bump as well.
It might have been but to me it looks like the result of normal aggressive play.

The knee grab is unusual, the pull even more so. You see players doing that with the opponents arm all the time, trying to get them off balance or to convince the refs to make a bad call. So, I don't know why he did it, I just know he did grab the knee and he did pull the knee outward and that is not a basketball move whether it was intended to injure or not.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

TBH, I would hope most of us could be fair enough if one of our players did the same.. dirty ish is dirty ish. No excuse for retaliation or however you want to justify it.. if you commit the crime, do the time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To clarify are you suggesting when Poole and Morant bump knees that's a flagrant foul?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might have been but to me it looks like the result of normal aggressive play.

The knee grab is unusual, the pull even more so. You see players doing that with the opponents arm all the time, trying to get them off balance or to convince the refs to make a bad call. So, I don't know why he did it, I just know he did grab the knee and he did pull the knee outward and that is not a basketball move whether it was intended to injure or not.
Yeah, knees bump during games in normal state of play.

Reaching out, grabbing and pulling a knee you already know is injured isn’t and to argue otherwise is quite frankly, incredibly stupid.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To clarify are you suggesting when Poole and Morant bump knees that's a flagrant foul?

I'm only looking at the video and seeing the knee was pushed in two different directions, initially by the bump and then the grab.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm only looking at the video and seeing the knee was pushed in two different directions, initially by the bump and then the grab.

OK and I agree but you keep saying 2 actions so are you saying the bump of knees is a flagrant foul? My understanding in the Draymond one is the refs said there were 2 flagrants, the blow to the face, and the pulldown so that equals one flagrant 2. In this case for that to be comparable we need a second flagrant. I don't even agree there's one flagrant but if you concede the knee grab is flagrant, the knee bump would have to be too.

To be clear what I'm getting at is if they suspend Poole consistently it means an injury occurred during the commission of a flagrant foul. Poole didn't even get a common foul let alone flagrant 2. So the league has to change that AND they have to determine that grab of the knee is how Morant got hurt, which we already know isn't true he got hurt twice earlier in the game, within minutes. So if they suspend Poole fine, but they're now setting a whole new precedent.

Then you get into the ridiculous stuff Bane clearly committed a flagrant, I'd argue a flagrant 2 he dove PAST the ball to hit Poole. Ja's intentional trip of Curry should have been a flagrant 1. The play by Tillman on Draymond that's a flagrant 2 and a suspension because Draymond got injured(his eye). We're going to run out of players on both teams. None of those plays come close to the Brooks play on Payton.

The idea that Poole knocks the ball away and a split second says hey this would be a good time to grab his knee and injure him is preposterous. I get why Jenkins said it he's trying to do some gamesmanship and he's trying to fire his team up. jaren Jackson said it wasn't a dirty play.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK and I agree but you keep saying 2 actions so are you saying the bump of knees is a flagrant foul? My understanding in the Draymond one is the refs said there were 2 flagrants, the blow to the face, and the pulldown so that equals one flagrant 2. In this case for that to be comparable we need a second flagrant. I don't even agree there's one flagrant but if you concede the knee grab is flagrant, the knee bump would have to be too.

I will accept any ruling by the NBA. I'm simply commenting on what I saw in the video.

If I was going to say it was a flagrant foul, I would have already done so. I'm not shy about it.

I don't see how the grab to the knee alone is sufficient enough to injure it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will accept any ruling by the NBA. I'm simply commenting on what I saw in the video.

If I was going to say it was a flagrant foul, I would have already done so. I'm not shy about it.

I don't see how the grab to the knee alone is sufficient enough to injure it.

OK and I was just asking to be clear because I thought you were saying 2 actions based on the draymond play.

If they suspend Poole I'll live with it, but they sure as hell better upgrade Bane to a flagrant and a fine and honestly it could have been a flagrant 2. What made that play particularly bad is Poole, not Bane got the foul there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

That’s the first video of the entire thing I’ve seen. That’s a purposeful grab and pull. From earlier action it seems a purposeful intent to “go at” an injured limb of an opponent (I agree that didn’t cause the initial pain, but it certainly could exacerbate something existing). Don’t think poole is dirty player, but he’s a young guy who may have just let what’s been going on in the series influence doing something dumb.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen