Dallas @ Suns Game 1 (R2) Monday 5-2-2022, 7 PM

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Plus there just jacking up 3s and those are long rebounds but this game is a perfect example of him guarding the perimeter

Ayton and Bam are the only two bigs in the NBA I’d feel comfortable guarding Luka
Yeah this game he wasn’t going to have a choice with all the three point shooters.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton would probably block more shots if he didn't swat at shots. He rarely keeps his hands up and arms extended when he tries closing out on shooters. It got frustrating to watch in the 2nd half because it was every time. He'd fully extend his arms in the air and almost immediately start swatting down like he's playing volley ball.

Small gripe. He had a good game altogether but I'd like to see him play a little smarter.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to stop Luka when he is allowed to travel and lower his shoulder into defenders.

Suns need to figure out a way to frustrate him or make him carry the entire offense and tire him out.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's hard to stop Luka when he is allowed to travel and lower his shoulder into defenders.

Suns need to figure out a way to frustrate him or make him carry the entire offense and tire him out.

Should prepare them for Giannis. Luka isn't as quick or big but they both barrel through defenders on their way to the rim.

AZ due I love BBQ

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For those complaining about traveling- How much NBA have you watched in the past few years?
Do you not see this constantly with Greek Freak, Annoying LeBron, Embiid?!!?!

Suns fans might be too used to Crowder, Cam J and other standing along the three point line and not Euro-steppimg to the hoop.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This feels different than game 1 of the Pels. I never felt this game was in jeapardy. It's almost as if they were toying with them at the end luring the Mavs into playing Luka extended minutes in a sure loss.

That's not possible though, is it? That level of gamesmanship?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
This feels different than game 1 of the Pels. I never felt this game was in jeapardy. It's almost as if they were toying with them at the end luring the Mavs into playing Luka extended minutes in a sure loss.

Neh, they took their foot of the gas pedal, and the Mavs took them by surprise. I honestly think that Booker and Paul didn't expect to have to play in the fourth quarter, which affected their play once they had to go back in.

I don't think they were in danger of losing, but I am a little worried that they allowed the Mavs to make it close. They can afford to screw around with Dallas, but they won't be able to get away with that against The Warriors or the Bucks. Hope they learned their lesson.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great win! Nice to see that Goofy smile leave Lukas face. Did you guys notice the collective gaps in the arena when Luka used CP3s pass through move on him?
CP3 was NOT amused at all. This series was over at that moment.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think it was that level, but it felt like a regular season game. It never was in doubt and any time the Mavs did anything we'd easily push the lead back to double figures.

Luka went ham, they had a several guys shoot the lights out... and it seemed like we never broke a sweat, opened up a big lead early and flat out cruised to a win.

If we'd played like we did in the 2nd half of game 6 vs the Pelicans, we'd have won this thing by 40. I am sure Dallas can play better and they will make adjustments, but this was a game that I don't think we even hit 3rd gear outside of a few minutes in the 1st quarter.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Dude is playing fullback not small forward. I've never understood how that doesn't get called every time. It's a foul.

And if you watch Luka enough, he does it very often. He probably scored 20 points alone off that move. It's like watching a Danny Schayes type athlete scoring 40. I'm exaggerating, but he has to be the least athletic superstar I've watched.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Dude is playing fullback not small forward. I've never understood how that doesn't get called every time. It's a foul.

And if you watch Luka enough, he does it very often. He probably scored 20 points alone off that move. It's like watching a Danny Schayes type athlete scoring 40. I'm exaggerating, but he has to be the least athletic superstar I've watched.

Yeah he’s so slow. He’s basically euro James Harden. Not very athletic, Premadonna, foul merchant but supremely confident. If the league were to ever tighten up the officiating on those two, their production would be considerably limited

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Luka can score 77 points a game in this series, I don't care. It detracts from the scoring of his teammates which aren't going to be able to muster enough points to beat the Suns in 4 games.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Luka can score 77 points a game in this series, I don't care. It detracts from the scoring of his teammates which aren't going to be able to muster enough points to beat the Suns in 4 games.
Luka is going to score regardless, he is a hell of a player and dallas are lucky to have him, but he doesn't necessarily have to score more than 30 points per game for them to win. They are at their best when the scoring is shared, which they have done well overall in that regard since January timeframe. Mavs need more out of Brunson and the other role players for them to have a chance at winning a game. I think the mavs will win 1 or 2 games in this series, but I think they are overmatched by the quality that the suns have on their roster.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yeah he’s so slow. He’s basically euro James Harden. Not very athletic, Premadonna, foul merchant but supremely confident. If the league were to ever tighten up the officiating on those two, their production would be considerably limited
I don't agree with this. he passes, he rebounds, he scores every possible way you could ask a player to score. he's just unique, and that's ok. I remember people used to say Steve Nash and Dirk weren't athletic. give me a break.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Dallas scoring distribution is like this for every game--and it was this way by Monty's design--Luka will be out of gas at crunch time.

Someone said it earlier. For the Suns this felt like a regular season game. It never felt like it was in jeapardy.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
If the Dallas scoring distribution is like this for every game--and it was this way by Monty's design--Luka will be out of gas at crunch time.

Someone said it earlier. For the Suns this felt like a regular season game. It never felt like it was in jeapardy.
I agree, and this is the way it played out last year when dallas lost to the Clippers. Doncic had brilliant games, but it wasn't enough and he was gassed by the end of the series. I definitely think this is a case where Dallas are overmatched and they will have to play a lot better as a team to have any chance to stretch this series.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with this. he passes, he rebounds, he scores every possible way you could ask a player to score. he's just unique, and that's ok. I remember people used to say Steve Nash and Dirk weren't athletic. give me a break.

I agree with your take but the referees give Luka tremendous liberties few other player get like traveling and lowering his shoulder into the defender.