Steve Wilks lawsuit against NFL

OP
OP
juza76

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Spot on… The bottom line is was Wilkes treatment based on his color of skin… I’m going to have to say a resounding no
The Cardinals has nothing to do with racism but the questions why Keim wasn't fired are legit
Especially after a DUI, something that Bidwill usually doesn't tollerate
They have been treated in different ways
In a multimillionaire business Bidwill probably put friendship above anything
In part this explain why this franchise has never won a superbowl

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But when you say you are torn do you believe there is a chance racism is part of the issue with him being let go? That’s really the bottom line.

No I mean he wasn't put in a position to succeed, but his coaching made it far worse than it needed to be

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But when you say you are torn do you believe there is a chance racism is part of the issue with him being let go? That’s really the bottom line.

To be clear I have no idea that it was racism. A bunch of us said this at the time on the board, it just didn't seem like a roster that was going to win with any coach let alone a rookie coach.

I assume his point is Keim didn't get fired because losing to get a better draft pick was probably part of the plan they think. So they hired a coach for one year to get a higher draft pick by tanking.

The problem with that of course is when that decision was made, nobody had any idea if Kyler was a first rounder let alone first pick in the draft. Nobody at that point was tanking a season to pick Nick Bosa, who at that time most people had projected as the top kid in that draft.

So I think it will be impossible for him to prove the cards hired him to tank for one season and then made him take the fall

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The point I am trying to make is that one can build a case for keeping a long term employee (Keim) who had a track record of success but only one really failing season. The new employee was incompetent in his job. I agree with Shane this has nothing to do with minority mistreatment. Just take personalities out of this.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 years is massive nowadays? Ok.
Uh… Yeah. He’s also still got one year left on his deal so they’ve actual made a SIX YEAR commitment. I think that’s pretty massive for a guy who just GM’d this team to back to back complete second half seasons meltdowns, a humiliating playoff loses and in 9 years as GM, has a whopping 1 playoff win to show for it.

6 years in the NFL is an eternity.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point I am trying to make is that one can build a case for keeping a long term employee (Keim) who had a track record of success but only one really failing season. The new employee was incompetent in his job. I agree with Shane this has nothing to do with minority mistreatment. Just take personalities out of this.
His track record post Wilkes actually helps the case for Bidwill… They have been on a steady incline with W/L which proves his decision to retain Keim could have been a very good choice. Now I know that sentiment isn’t agreed to around here. But this isn’t a court of law run by Cards fans.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think his case has legs.
We had lots of discussion over whether he was a keim hire or a Bidwill hire... I still think Mike over ruled keim.

But what followed was an off season full of WTF signings that we were mostly in agreement on.
Personally I think keim sabotaged Wilkes from the start.....and he should have been fired for it.
The coach has never been born that could have won 8 games with that roster. A first time HC never had a chance.

After collecting checks for it the past few years though,..jumping in on a lawsuit is just plain salty

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think his case has legs.
We had lots of discussion over whether he was a keim hire or a Bidwill hire... I still think Mike over ruled keim.

But what followed was an off season full of WTF signings that we were mostly in agreement on.
Personally I think keim sabotaged Wilkes from the start.....and he should have been fired for it.
The coach has never been born that could have won 8 games with that roster. A first time HC never had a chance.

After collecting checks for it the past few years though,..jumping in on a lawsuit is just plain salty
That has no bearing on “race” even if what you say is fundamentally true.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
That has no bearing on “race” even if what you say is fundamentally true.
Agree.
But they can flip the race card into the good ol'boys club in court with success...good ol'boys are always white

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So this guy got paid millions to be poor at his job and now is claiming its because of his skin color, this guy is a clown.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Would Wilks have won 5 games in 2019 with Kyler? Possbily.

As I've said before maybe Rosen really was one of the worst QBs ever.

I still would have fired Wilks though. And Keim.
IMO, it's less about could he have won 5 games in 2019 with Kyler...it's could he have improved the team enough to win 11 games in 2021?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Because I do agree he had a horrible roster. Injury plagued veteran QB with rookie behind him, weak WR group etc.

He was a horrible coach but he wasn't given any talent by the GM. But the defense was largely his fault he inherited a good defense and made it bad
I'd argue that even with a horrible roster, he made it worse.

A better coach would have won a game or two more. Wilks is the single worst coach I've seen from any team I've ever followed.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i know this isnt as interesting as if the allegations are true, or not true, etc --

but Wilks claim is fundamentally different from Flores

Flores is alleging that discrimination cost him getting a lucrative NFL HC contract worth millions. If his facts are true, he likely has a case.

Wilks on the other hand negotiated and received a lucrative NFL HC contract. The Cardinals performed their end of the contract.

Even if everything he alleges is 100% true -- its not the basis for a lawsuit. I think it gets dismissed on a motion to dismiss

the Wilks thing and the airing of dirty laundry is in there to put pressure on another owner / the NFL to settle.

NOTE: i am not a lawyer no did I stay in a Holiday inn express last night. I just have witnessed up close more employment/business litigation than i care to remember.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know this isnt as interesting as if the allegations are true, or not true, etc --

but Wilks claim is fundamentally different from Flores

Flores is alleging that discrimination cost him getting a lucrative NFL HC contract worth millions. If his facts are true, he likely has a case.

Wilks on the other hand negotiated and received a lucrative NFL HC contract. The Cardinals performed their end of the contract.

Even if everything he alleges is 100% true -- its not the basis for a lawsuit. I think it gets dismissed on a motion to dismiss

the Wilks thing and the airing of dirty laundry is in there to put pressure on another owner / the NFL to settle.

NOTE: i am not a lawyer no did I stay in a Holiday inn express last night. I just have witnessed up close more employment/business litigation than i care to remember.
Am I missing something? Flores too also got a multi million dollar head coaching job?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m glad Wilks is no longer HC.

I don’t think his firing was racist. (Gazing into the future thru Wilks colored glasses was like having a brick wall for a windshield).

I think there is racism the NFL in all shapes and sizes. Just not on the Cardinals (We’ve got plenty of other problems).

It’s probably in my DNA to keep my antennae on the lookout for even the slight hints of racism. But if there is a problem, on the Cardinals, I just don’t see it.

Reaction score
Straw man to the extreme. No one is talking about one year deals.
Whatever dude. 5 is not massive imo but somehow it is yours. That's it. Bottom line. Quit trying to make something out of someone's difference of opinion than yours. No straw man. No nothing. It's as simple as that.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I’m glad Wilks is no longer HC.

I don’t think his firing was racist. (Gazing into the future thru Wilks colored glasses was like having a brick wall for a windshield).

I think there is racism the NFL in all shapes and sizes. Just not on the Cardinals (We’ve got plenty of other problems).

It’s probably in my DNA to keep my antennae on the lookout for even the slight hints of racism. But if there is a problem, on the Cardinals, I just don’t see it.
Agree there is some funny business. Jim Caldwell should not have been fired by the Lions. He was 10 times the coach that Wilkes was. Flores also got a raw deal. But Wilkes has a very very weak case IMO.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Pulling out the race card, what a joke! He produced the worst team ever and couldn’t coach himself out of a wet paper bag but he was canned because of his race. I would agree if their was such thing as a race of stupidity.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever dude. 5 is not massive imo but somehow it is yours. That's it. Bottom line. Quit trying to make something out of someone's difference of opinion than yours. No straw man. No nothing. It's as simple as that.
But it’s not the bottom line. It’s your bottom line, but multiple posters disagreed with you and thought five years was a pretty big extension.

And I’m not trying make something out of a difference of opinion. The problem is that by throwing out a baseless and never mentioned or implied “one year comment”, you are projecting a different opinion than the one currently being discussed. That is a straw man argument. It’s as simple as that.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I have to be honest, I liked the Wilks hiring, and I think he was given a raw deal. I'm not sure that he'd have developed into a winning coach, but I think Kliff and Keim are basically disasters anyways. Wilks was given a really tough situation at QB, and Mike McCoy ran an abhorrent offense. We hired a defensive coach, and demanded he not run his own system, by adhering to a 3-4. Our QB plan failed miserably that season, trying to throw money at Cousins, among other options, paying wild money to Bradford and Glennon, only to see none of it work, and putting Rosen in a position to fail.

He probably deserved another year to make some moves that fit his scheme. We hit the panic button, but I don't believe it was racially motivated. The organization has embraced ineptitude, but not racism.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard