Kingsbury and Keim get contract extensions

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You know how disingenuous and completely unreliable your first sentence is.

The QB absolutely needs to grow and hit more open receivers. Crossing routes just don't seem to be in KK's play book, though, which is a massive red flag. The rest of the major problems remain and remain unaddressed. Unless KK makes major leaps and KM makes major attitude/approach adjustments, we're not sniffing 11 wins, let alone more.
My point is that we HAVE seen steady improvement. I understand that logic is flawed.

This concept that coaches make players grow in the NFL is fairly flawed. Most development is personal development... teams don't have much time to actually coach guys. Team activities are mostly centered on learning team concepts.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
My point is that we HAVE seen steady improvement. I understand that logic is flawed.

This concept that coaches make players grow in the NFL is fairly flawed. Most development is personal development... teams don't have much time to actually coach guys. Team activities are mostly centered on learning team concepts.
Right. But, at the pace KK makes improvements, it'll be another couple years before I'd be comfortable with him as HC. Being an NFL HC doesn't come with training wheels. I hate that we have and continue to be little more than on-the-job training for him. It was a stupid hire for that reason--he wasn't ready by a long shot--and he still isn't good enough. If we brought in a solid OC with control, I would be happy enough to have him. Not on the huge extension, but for at least the next season.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
To reinforce the point, KK just said this:

The offense regressed. The passing game slid, and the Cardinals coach – as he often does – once again pointed to himself.
"When we lost Hop, I didn't do a good job schematically adjusting some things that could have taken some pressure off Kyler, I think," Kingsbury said, reiterating a point he made after the season. "You lose a piece like that, you've got to find a way to be more creative. I've got to be better at that."

No excuse for this. None at all.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The timeline now:

Cardinals enter into negotiations with Kk's agent on an extension.

Agent tells Kyler that Kingsbury and Keim are getting rewarded for a successful season.

Agent asks Keim about Kyler. Is told no and he has to prove himself after the end of the year while he is getting rewarded.

Kyler feels he is being scapegoated for the end of the season when the two guys above him are getting paid.

Agent has Kyler send a message via social media that he needs to be paid too.

Front office (Keim) leaks multiple negative stories about Kyler. These were likely what was used as the reason for justifying the end of the season.

Kyler issues a rebuttal

Michael doesn't let Keim go on the local radio as standard so he doesn't make the situation worse

Michael says he loves Kyler.

Kylers agent issues a response to Michael.

Extensions signed for Kliff and Keim.

Deadline put on Murray's extension
My guess is that no deal will get done and Kyler will skip training camp.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The QB absolutely needs to grow and hit more open receivers. Crossing routes just don't seem to be in KK's play book, though, which is a massive red flag. The rest of the major problems remain and remain unaddressed. Unless KK makes major leaps and KM makes major attitude/approach adjustments, we're not sniffing 11 wins, let alone more.

You can't hit a crossing route when you can't see over your interior linemen...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kingsbury extension bothers me several degrees of magnitude less than Keim.

From MB perspective- if he's going to lock up the coach (&QB?) - might as well lock up the GM too, because it would be tough to find a guy to come in and not he able to make the changes he wants.
I don't know how anyone can argue that Keim deserved an extension more than Kingsbury. Kingsbury has produced increased results year after year...Keim has not.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

The offense regressed. The passing game slid, and the Cardinals coach – as he often does – once again pointed to himself.
"When we lost Hop, I didn't do a good job schematically adjusting some things that could have taken some pressure off Kyler, I think," Kingsbury said, reiterating a point he made after the season. "You lose a piece like that, you've got to find a way to be more creative. I've got to be better at that."

The piece of this I struggle with is his babying of Kyler. Kyler needs to take pressure off of Kyler. Instead Kliff wears all of the blame instead of sharing it with our "franchise" QB.

That is the stuff that bugs me.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Right. But, at the pace KK makes improvements, it'll be another couple years before I'd be comfortable with him as HC. Being an NFL HC doesn't come with training wheels. I hate that we have and continue to be little more than on-the-job training for him. It was a stupid hire for that reason--he wasn't ready by a long shot--and he still isn't good enough. If we brought in a solid OC with control, I would be happy enough to have him. Not on the huge extension, but for at least the next season.

2 training wheels 5
1 training wheel 8
0 training wheels 11

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So...just brushing off any culpability on KK's part? M'kay.
No. Just not going to hold a HCs feet to the fire when his offense struggles without it's top playmaker and a QB who struggles with QB fundamentals and reads.

This is the area where I point to Kliff w/ Colt as his QB. Simple reads, quick releases, and moderately creative. Maybe not scoring a ton of points but able to still move the ball and be good enough. Kyler doesn't have that club in the bag which inherently makes Kingsbury's offense less consistent.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I've been a Cardinals fan since the early '90s, I am ready to walk away soon because of this insane move by Bidwill Jr. Keim will continue to draft poorly, and Kingsbury will continue to get out-coached. Wait till we throw $40 mil a year at KM.
It's funny that you think at $40 mil a year will get KM's contract done.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

This isn't an excuse. It's taking responsibility.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

With our schedule next season, we may end up under .500?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes , we won 11 games. But the bottom line .. look at the current shape of the cap and holes on this roster.
THAT’S the real problem of the evaluation of the job Keim has done.

Bottom line is that we have a starting QB, a #1 target, a front 5 and backups, a 7 main rotation on the 'D" line, two young linebackers, a solid, if not spectacular CB, Safety group, etc. etc. and with a few cuts and contract adjustments we'll have enough to play in FA. To this add 1st., 2nd., and 3rd round picks.

It's hardly dire.

And don't tell me what is or isn't going to happen because of Keim, you and I simply don't know.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You can't hit a crossing route when you can't see over your interior linemen...
This is a good clapback, but I don't understand the underlying complaint that people are making. Do they believe that Kliff Kingsbury doesn't know that crossing routes are within the rules of football? Do they think that Kliff refuses to put them in because of ideology?

The more likely scenario is that mesh and crossers aren't available because the QB can't/won't throw them. If that's the case, should Kliff just keep calling them to embarrass Kyler?

The piece of this I struggle with is his babying of Kyler. Kyler needs to take pressure off of Kyler. Instead Kliff wears all of the blame instead of sharing it with our "franchise" QB.

That is the stuff that bugs me.

I don't remember the CBA exactly, but can Kliff and Kyler even talk right now? I'm more than fine with the Head Coach taking all the blame for losses and handing over all the credit for wins. One assumes that someone is talking to Kyler about it — but maybe not!

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Schedule?

There were quite a few .500 predictions going into last season.

P.S. I don't think there are many, if any, teams that see the CARDS on their schedule and say, 'piece of cake!'
I wasn't one of the .500 or under prediction people last season, I actually thought we would win at least 10 games. After what I witnessed to end the season, the salary cap issues, the team's on the 2022 schedule, no way I'm thinking we're above .500 in 2022.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is a good clapback, but I don't understand the underlying complaint that people are making. Do they believe that Kliff Kingsbury doesn't know that crossing routes are within the rules of football? Do they think that Kliff refuses to put them in because of ideology?

The more likely scenario is that mesh and crossers aren't available because the QB can't/won't throw them. If that's the case, should Kliff just keep calling them to embarrass Kyler?

I don't remember the CBA exactly, but can Kliff and Kyler even talk right now? I'm more than fine with the Head Coach taking all the blame for losses and handing over all the credit for wins. One assumes that someone is talking to Kyler about it — but maybe not!

Of course, they can and do, according to KK.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I for one am excited to see how Kingsbury evolves. We've seen dramatic change in just a few years.

2019:

You must be registered for see images attach

2021:

2027???