Colts @ Cardinals postgame thread.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I sadly feel the same way. Watching games earlier in the year was fun because they all had meaning with us in the running. Now I don’t even want to keep watching us, much less anything else.

The second consecutive second half season collapse has been awful.
Third time the collapse happened. In 2019, they finished 2-5.

This is the 8th time Kliff's team have collapsed in the second half of th season.

Reactions: PJ1

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And PS, for those roasting Vance Joseph and blaming the defense... Sure there's been questionable calls on the defensive side, but this team wins the last three games outright if the offense is just 80% of what it was at the beginning of the year. The defense has played well enough in all three games, regardless of the final score, for the Cardinals to win.

The defense rolled over a died from the jump against the woeful Lions. They got manhandled by an atrocious Panthers team and made Cam Newton important for the first and only time in like 5 years. They deserve blame for this second half of the season fiasco too.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think what makes this painful is Kliff/Keim/Kyler will all survive for another two seasons. And I feel what 2022 and 2023 will offer Cardinals fans is not going to be pretty. That is what makes this thing so much more disappointing.
I actually do have a little perspective and hope for next season, regarding Kyler Murray... And that's just based off the fact that the great Aaron Rodgers, didn't actually start playing like the great Aaron Rodgers until his fourth year of starting. So there is precedent that some quarterbacks take just a little extra seasoning. But that's all I've got to hang my hat on at this moment.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
The defense rolled over a died from the jump against the woeful Lions. They got manhandled by an atrocious Panthers team and made Cam Newton important for the first and only time in like 5 years. They deserve blame for this fiasco too.
The Panthers game wasn't and then the last three games. Again, if the offense plays within a shadow of what it did at the beginning of the season, the Cardinals win all three games. A lot of what the defense was able to accomplish the first half of the season, was based on the fact that the offense was able to grind out long drives when they had the lead, and keep the defense fresh and attacking.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I actually do have a little perspective and hope for next season, regarding Kyler Murray... And that's just based off the fact that the great Aaron Rodgers, didn't actually start playing like the great Aaron Rodgers until his fourth year of starting. So there is precedent that some quarterbacks take just a little extra seasoning. But that's all I've got to hang my hat on at this moment.
May be it happens..Can anyone say Murray progressed as a passer the first three seasons? It looked he did in the first half and now back to square one..so why would year 4 will be done different

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And PS, for those roasting Vance Joseph and blaming the defense... Sure there's been questionable calls on the defensive side, but this team wins the last three games outright if the offense is just 80% of what it was at the beginning of the year. The defense has played well enough in all three games, regardless of the final score, for the Cardinals to win.
The thing is, the defense had the benefit to tee off against OLines missing multiple starters against both the Rams & Colts. Colts were even missing backups. Kyler & the offense have been a joke, don’t get me wrong, but that doesn’t excuse the defense at all. Especially the game against the Lions where the defense pretty much laid down from the start.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
VJ cannot stop the run. This is year 3. Time for another coach.
That's not entirely true. There have been games for the run has been completely stifled and abandoned by the opposing team, without the opposing team being down by multiple scores. Even last night, you take away the first run that Taylor got for a huge game, the rest of his game was less than pedestrian. I know at the end of the day that that big run counts in the stats, but you have to look at how the defense adjusted and bottled up the run game after that.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really have no problem with that. It's kind of a catch 22 at this point for him. He sits and takes all the questions and gives the same answers that he's given before, and gets roasted by people on this board or by the media.. He cuts his interview short and gets roasted by this board in the media. It's like some people are expecting him to have a Denny green sound bite. It's obvious that he's angry and embarrassed, and he's doing his best to not lose it in front of the public. That's just how I see it.
Right. We are all different at the end of the day, and view the way we think people should react from that lens. Which I always try to remember after my initial feelings when I see things like that. Kyler is just a different cat and I think we all have known for years since he came into the league. While I'm not a fan of every interaction he has had with the media or his mood on the field at times, I can appreciate the kid being himself and not being what others want him to be. I can respect that.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's not entirely true. There have been games for the run has been completely stifled and abandoned by the opposing team, without the opposing team being down by multiple scores. Even last night, you take away the first run that Taylor got for a huge game, the rest of his game was less than pedestrian. I know at the end of the day that that big run counts in the stats, but you have to look at how the defense adjusted and bottled up the run game after that.
VJ's team are bottom 3rd in the league stopping run for third consecutive in year. I don't think VJ knows how to stop the run with this big of sample size.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Panthers game wasn't and then the last three games. Again, if the offense plays within a shadow of what it did at the beginning of the season, the Cardinals win all three games. A lot of what the defense was able to accomplish the first half of the season, was based on the fact that the offense was able to grind out long drives when they had the lead, and keep the defense fresh and attacking.

The Colts were missing 4 of 5 offensive linemen. Their second WR. Wentz has been corralled most of the season because they’re terrified of him making mistakes. And we made him look good and the Colts still rushed for over 100 yards. And ANY time we really needed a stop, we couldn’t get one.

You say the defense played well because the offense was so good earlier in the season to keep them fresh. Well, if the D was that good, at some point they’d return the favor.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The defense would be forgiving if we were facing OLines where at least 4 of their 5 starters were healthy, but dude, the teams were facing OLines that 2nd & 3rd stringers playing & they STILL were moving the ball with relative ease cause the front 4/5 wants to play patty cake with the OL

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes. They bottled up the run and then gave Wentz all day to make plays whenever he really needed to and couldn’t get a stop to save their life at winning time.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they keep losing, sure you can. If they don't make it to the championship game, or maybe the SB???

If you read my post before that one I’m talking firing right now as in this week. Not “if they keep losing” or at the end of the year

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The defense did not play good enough for the team to win. They gave up 22 points. The needed to give up 15 or less to have played good enough to win.

Especially against a team that was so ridiculously depleted due to Covid.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What was Tony Dungy's record with Tampa Bay? Sure Tony Dungy finally won a super bowl with the Colts and Peyton Manning, but you can't argue the fact that there are just some head coaches who can get you to the top of the mountain, but can't quite get you over the top. In baseball, think of Buck showalter.

No I was talking about someone getting fired this week.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not even getting into the defense but the Cardinals offense looked terrible.

Scoring a touchdown in the 4th quarter shouldn't look like an impossible task.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid Cardinals

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Rodgers is one of the most intelligent players in the league despite his weirdness. Yes he fell into a perfect situation but he was always going to process information quickly and be a great QB. He was also a grinder coming up and not highly recruited.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How times would Bowles have blitzed?

If I was the DC I would have used multiple look blitzes and stunts all game so Wentz would have happy feet and be forced into mistakes

Not let him sit back there with all time to look over the field and play soft zone

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
At the end of the day your 10-5

You can’t really fire a head coach that’s 10-5 nobody would ever take your job ever again
There are only 32 positions. This franchise has the tools to be successful. 100% someone takes the job.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Especially against a team that was so ridiculously depleted due to Covid.
And we’re not depleted on both sides of the ball? No Hop, Rondale, Conner, and the backup interior line is beyond putrid. Same on the defensive side of the ball. We’re ridiculously depleted too. So, as I see it, with BOTH teams ridiculously depleted, it comes down to coaching. And we get embarrassed in that area almost weekly now. I don’t care who is on the field, to rush 3 against a depleted OL, is grounds for termination. Especially when you take into account that Wentz has NEVER performed well with pressure in his face. How many times has KK used challenges STUPIDLY in the last 3 years. I gave him a bye in year one, but now it’s ridiculous how bad he is in that area. Left us without the ability to use it when it was blatantly obvious that Wentz was short. That stupidity cost us a much needed 3 points. Every team has Covid, every team has injuries, so coaching staffs will determine who gets into the playoffs and beyond. Doesn’t bode well for the Cardinals. We may sneak in, but not etched in stone. I believe that KK HAS to win a playoff game to keep his job.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And we’re not depleted on both sides of the ball? No Hop, Rondale, Conner, and the backup interior line is beyond putrid. Same on the defensive side of the ball. We’re ridiculously depleted too. So, as I see it, with BOTH teams ridiculously depleted, it comes down to coaching. And we get embarrassed in that area almost weekly now. I don’t care who is on the field, to rush 3 against a depleted OL, is grounds for termination. Especially when you take into account that Wentz has NEVER performed well with pressure in his face. How many times has KK used challenges STUPIDLY in the last 3 years. I gave him a bye in year one, but now it’s ridiculous how bad he is in that area. Left us without the ability to use it when it was blatantly obvious that Wentz was short. That stupidity cost us a much needed 3 points. Every team has Covid, every team has injuries, so coaching staffs will determine who gets into the playoffs and beyond. Doesn’t bode well for the Cardinals. We may sneak in, but not etched in stone. I believe that KK HAS to win a playoff game to keep his job.

You’re not gonna get an argument from me on K2. Tell me though.., who hired him?

Also, K1 crapped the bed AGAIN yesterday for the FIFTH STRAIGHT WIN AND IN game... and as usual, you have nothing to say about that.