What's the deal with our linebackers?

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
The physical talent is there. So it leaves one thing: between the ears. But some posters want to ignore the importance of the mental aspects of the game.
always gotta end it with a jab to someone or some people dont you.

In todays NFL, the best players play. I think the issue with Zavon is he cannot do what Hicks does--- run the defense. Be green dot man.

Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is that I can’t think of a single Round 1 ILB that made a positive impact from day one. Which tells me that adapting takes way longer at that spot than mostly others.
Micah Parsons.

Playing ILB in the NFL is the second most difficult position on the field mentally.
That being stated, it is up to the coaches to find a way to utilize one's talent as they learn. Notice how the Cowboys place Parsons on the edge, where he doesn't need to think as much as just react?

I agree with Shane - the problem is most likely coaching, and I also have never thought highly of the job Billy Davis does. . .

Reaction score
In todays NFL, the best players play. I think the issue with Zavon is he cannot do what Hicks does--- run the defense. Be green dot man.
This would seem to be readily apparent, hence why don't the coaches find a means to bring along the mental aspects while utilizing raw talent in the meantime?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This would seem to be readily apparent, hence why don't the coaches find a means to bring along the mental aspects while utilizing raw talent in the meantime?

Sure, all you have to do is detach the head from the body. ;)

I'd guess that ZAVEN is heavily into film study and they are working hard to match his obvious physical gifts with the ability to read the critical keys. Simmons was at times lost last year and Zaven is going through the same learning curve. Simmons showed flashes and Zaven too. Let's give it time, and meanwhile, find a use for him on ST and a few 'no think' defensive assignments.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I meant in recent years & Edmunds, White, & especially Queen aren’t good.

Could’ve said Roquan cause he runs laps around those 3 dudes.
Maybe this year but you your criteria was rookie year and all three made an impact their rookie years. Forgot about Roquan but add him to list of ILB's who made contributions as rookies.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Micah Parsons.

Playing ILB in the NFL is the second most difficult position on the field mentally.
That being stated, it is up to the coaches to find a way to utilize one's talent as they learn. Notice how the Cowboys place Parsons on the edge, where he doesn't need to think as much as just react?

I agree with Shane - the problem is most likely coaching, and I also have never thought highly of the job Billy Davis does. . .
Micah has been great, but he has been doing a lot of his damage on the EDGE. He’s almost like Von Miller there. Also, Micah already had experience at EDGE in HS. He was a 5 star if I remember correctly.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe this year but you your criteria was rookie year and all three made an impact their rookie years. Forgot about Roquan but add him to list of ILB's who made contributions as rookies.
I mean none of these guys made positive impacts in their rookie years. Especially Queen. He was especially awful.

Reaction score
From his bio on azcardinals.com: Bill Davis is in the third season of his second coaching tenure with the Cardinals after returning to coach linebackers on 1/11/19. He previously worked as Arizona's defensive coordinator (2009-10) and linebackers coach (2007-08).
Davis has 26 years of coaching experience in the NFL, including seven seasons as a defensive coordinator with Arizona, Philadelphia and San Francisco.

( https://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches-roster/bill-davis )

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From his bio on azcardinals.com: Bill Davis is in the third season of his second coaching tenure with the Cardinals after returning to coach linebackers on 1/11/19. He previously worked as Arizona's defensive coordinator (2009-10) and linebackers coach (2007-08).
Davis has 26 years of coaching experience in the NFL, including seven seasons as a defensive coordinator with Arizona, Philadelphia and San Francisco.

( https://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches-roster/bill-davis )

The point is that Davis' responsibility with the Cards is as the LB coach, not D-C, and arguably he's been more successful in this lesser role.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Micah has been great, but he has been doing a lot of his damage on the EDGE. He’s almost like Von Miller there. Also, Micah already had experience at EDGE in HS. He was a 5 star if I remember correctly.
And the Dallas D is waaay less complex than V.J.'s.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The point is that Davis' responsibility with the Cards is as the LB coach, not D-C, and arguably he's been more successful in this lesser role.
Well he was a god awful disaster as a DC. So more successful isn’t a very high bar.

He stinks as a coach and have no idea how he’s back in the NFL. Look at his downward spiral from his days as Cards DC. He went all the way to college position coach and got that job because he’s Urban’s buddy(was his best man at wedding).

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well he was a god awful disaster as a DC. So more successful isn’t a very high bar.

He stinks as a coach and have no idea how he’s back in the NFL. Look at his downward spiral from his days as Cards DC. He went all the way to college position coach and got that job because he’s Urban’s buddy(was his best man at wedding).

You may be able to fake it for 27 years in government, but doubtful in the NFL.

When our D-C has a problem with his work, so will I.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a thought during the game yesterday, "Why don't we try Zaven in the role Gardeck plays?" One of his strengths in college was being able to rush off the edge.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
You may be able to fake it for 27 years in government, but doubtful in the NFL.

When our D-C has a problem with his work, so will I.
Are you kidding? The NFL is full of cronyism. Look at Bruce Arians with Amos. McCarthy hired Mike Nolan as his DC last year because Nolan gave him his first big shot. That was a disaster too.
The list goes on and on.

Hell, maybe your related to Davis because it’s hard to find a successful tenure he’s had the past decade or so.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
always gotta end it with a jab to someone or some people dont you.

Lol. That’s a retort to their repeated barbs referencing my position on vance’s usage of hicks for the exact reason you just repeated in your second paragraph. But whatever man. Have a happy thanksgiving.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you could highlight a player who he has developed I could buy this argument but...

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Are you kidding? The NFL is full of cronyism. Look at Bruce Arians with Amos. McCarthy hired Mike Nolan as his DC last year because Nolan gave him his first big shot. That was a disaster too.
The list goes on and on.

Hell, maybe your related to Davis because it’s hard to find a successful tenure he’s had the past decade or so.

Hell, maybe Vance Joseph has a better idea of what Davis brings to defensive coaching than you.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I remember watching some analysist's video on Vance Joseph's defense say that his defense was really complex for the inner linebackers. I don't know how true that is but it makes sense considering how slow Simmons/Collins have started. Also Devonte Campbell looked pretty average with us for most of last year and now on the Packers he's been outstanding.

The defense overall is working so I don't really care.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The same problem plagues Davis’s linebackers wherever he lands:

“ They play slow, they don’t read the play quickly enough, and they take some of the worst pursuit angles I’ve ever seen in major college football. We know that this group has talent. We know that these former five-stars and four-stars didn’t just forget how to play football.

That means that there’s an issue with coaching, and the coach responsible is Bill Davis. Urban Meyer is once again the full-time head coach at Ohio State. His first task is a big one. He needs to fire Bill Davis, before Ohio State wastes yet another supremely talented team with poor coaching.”