What's the deal with our linebackers?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's two things puzzling me.

Isaiah Simmon's wasn't good again. Bad angles in pursuit (often over pursues), missed tackles, missed holes, lost in coverage. I thought he was by far our worst defender yesterday despite the very early sack. I thought he started the season well and would only get better, but seems to be going backwards.

And at the same time, Zaven Collins didn't take a single snap (I checked). The first game this year he hasn't taken a snap and this is without Vallejo.

He's gone from 58% in Week 7 to 4%, 5%, 31% and 0%. It's not his shoulder, he wouldn't be active if that was the case. So what's the deal? Especially when we are often poor vs the run.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No wonder our run D started out bad. I'm a big Simmons fan, but he had an awful game yesterday. So did Budha (sp?). Heck, they both sucked on that one play where they couldn't tackle to save their lives. BB gets a pass, because he couldn't practice, but Simmons, he doesn't have that excuse this week.

Edit: Don't get me started on Collins.

AustrianCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
Haven't seen the snap count yet, who got Vallejo's snaps this week if Collins had 0? I really hope it is injury related (although as @BritCard mentioned it wouldn't make sense to have him active), otherwise it is starting to worry me a bit.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9-2
I don’t care is Vance Joseph is playing cornerback. Win games. I don’t care if player A is seeing the field or not.

I also don’t expect every player to grade out A+ every play or every game. We don’t know a players particular assignment on every play or when a play breaks down and the scramble is on.

Have at it, but I’m basking in the glory 9-2, 4-0 in the division, the top seed and the bye week.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haven't seen the snap count yet, who got Vallejo's snaps this week if Collins had 0? I really hope it is injury related (although as @BritCard mentioned it wouldn't make sense to have him active), otherwise it is starting to worry me a bit.

Nobody. Both guys played 100% and they didn't have any 3 LB sets. I believe Alford played more and Murphy more slot.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My guess is Collins has maturity issues. Similar to Hump when he was drafted. There has to be a reason why he isn't playing & I don't think it's because he lacks talent.

That's not the case. All his draft interviews state the opposite. Super mature guy, valedictorian of his class etc

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My guess is Collins has maturity issues. Similar to Hump when he was drafted. There has to be a reason why he isn't playing & I don't think it's because he lacks talent.
The physical talent is there. So it leaves one thing: between the ears. But some posters want to ignore the importance of the mental aspects of the game.

Reaction score
The physical talent is there. So it leaves one thing: between the ears. But some posters want to ignore the importance of the mental aspects of the game.

I agree. He's definitely smart. That's why I think it's immaturity (between the ears). Something else is going on for him to be playing as much as he did at the beginning of the year to zero snaps yesterday.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For as bad as we looked getting gashed up the middle....we held Seattle to 49 offensive snaps. We were definitely bailed out by some drops and mental mistakes by Seattle...but still a solid effort.

If Prater makes his kicks, this game would have been over early and we would have cruised to victory, led by our defense.

To answer the question more specifically, I don't know what's up with our LB play. It seems like they are either really good, or really bad...and getting gashed up the middle on running plays for 10 ypc is getting pretty old. I think Simmons is such an athletic freak that is almost does him a disservice. He isn't as cautious with angles and wrapping up because he is usually athletic enough to make up for mental mistakes. Hicks is the opposite, where the mental side of his game is pretty solid, but hes just not fast enough anymore. Collins is somewhere in the middle...seems like the athleticism is there, but not enough to cover mental mistakes like Simmons...so he's not getting on the field until he can correct his mental errors.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Simmons blew some coverages which become apparent when the pass goes there but one thing to note is that our secondary did well and at times Simmons was on a WR (yeah, he blew a few but that's freaky to have a LB where that is even considered plausible and for a DC to have that luxury can baffle a QB reading coverages, and Wilson who has seen a lot had problems processing that for the most part). I would like to think there were more plays with him in coverage where he did a great job but you do not know about that because the Seahawks got nothing... the scoreboard tells all one needs to know about how stymied the Seahawks were against our defense and Simmons was part of that

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is that I can’t think of a single Round 1 ILB that made a positive impact from day one. Which tells me that adapting takes way longer at that spot than mostly others.
I assume you mean like this year only because Brian Urlacher, Jonathan Vilma, Patrick Willis, Luke Keuchly, Tremaine Edmunds, Devin White & Patrick Queen would beg to differ.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I assume you mean like this year only because Brian Urlacher, Jonathan Vilma, Patrick Willis, Luke Keuchly, Tremaine Edmunds, Devin White & Patrick Queen would beg to differ.
I meant in recent years & Edmunds, White, & especially Queen aren’t good.

Could’ve said Roquan cause he runs laps around those 3 dudes.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
For as bad as we looked getting gashed up the middle....we held Seattle to 49 offensive snaps. We were definitely bailed out by some drops and mental mistakes by Seattle...but still a solid effort.

If Prater makes his kicks, this game would have been over early and we would have cruised to victory, led by our defense.

To answer the question more specifically, I don't know what's up with our LB play. It seems like they are either really good, or really bad...and getting gashed up the middle on running plays for 10 ypc is getting pretty old. I think Simmons is such an athletic freak that is almost does him a disservice. He isn't as cautious with angles and wrapping up because he is usually athletic enough to make up for mental mistakes. Hicks is the opposite, where the mental side of his game is pretty solid, but hes just not fast enough anymore. Collins is somewhere in the middle...seems like the athleticism is there, but not enough to cover mental mistakes like Simmons...so he's not getting on the field until he can correct his mental errors.
I agree about Simmons talent hurting him. When my son played DE in middle and high school, his speed was his worse enemy. I used to tell him it doesn't matter if you get deep in the backfield if you never touch anyone. He learned to leverage his speed with his football IQ and made the all defensive squad his senior year.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Intercepting, sacking Bears qbs and creating short fields is the remedy. It will allow Simmons and Collins to play with more confidence with a lead. The challenging games are the Carolinas with backs like McCaffrey that relentlessly test an area where LBs could over pursue or get eaten up. I feel the good games that get the LBs more confidence will help their game. It will help at SFS when complacency or a fired up, over pursuing defense can allow the opposing team to run the ball well. I believe that experience allows growth and what to expect next game where they'll get tested again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave