Bucks @ Suns Saturday Finals game thread 7-17-2021 Game - Game 5

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's definitely an exaggeration but he's not 100% physically and seems disinterested mentally.

It almost seems like Paul doesn't want to win unless its him leading us to that victory. That's how game 4 and now game 5 looked to me.

I was there, and I felt exactly the opposite. Paul was giving it everything he possibly could, and his body, specifically that arm/hand, just isn't cooperating. The frustration and depression he was feeling from that were palpable. He was practically in tears on the sideline. And yet he would keep coming back and doing what he could, even though he literally could not play defense because he couldn't lift or extend the arm. I have actually never seen an effort quite as valiant as what I saw from Paul tonight, but his arm/hand are just gone, and with them the team's hopes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think playing Giannis in this series could be extremely beneficial in Ayton’s development. Giannis is such an athletic freak, who plays with max effort and has worked so hard to round out his game. He’s a perfect example for Ayton to follow.
I doubt Ayton ever has the handles and movement skills giannis possesses. He’s better off learning how to establish low post position, seal a defender, catch a ball, and learning post moves to get his shot off. The one time be put the ball on the floor and tried to get his own shot was an abomination tonight.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think playing Giannis in this series could be extremely beneficial in Ayton’s development. Giannis is such an athletic freak, who plays with max effort and has worked so hard to round out his game. He’s a perfect example for Ayton to follow.
All while assuming that Ayton will use his effort as an example.. the million dollar question moving forward... We will have to see if DA will motivate on the same level. I don't see it yet personally...and I would hate to throw huge money into a pit of unmotivated players. Jmo.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All while assuming that Ayton will use his effort as an example.. the million dollar question moving forward... We will have to see if DA will motivate on the same level. I don't see it yet personally...and I would hate to throw huge money into a pit of unmotivated players. Jmo.

The more I see Ayton play, the more I am reminded of Benoit Benjamin or Derrick Coleman. All the talent in the world and capable of putting up huge games here and there when motivated, but incredibly inconsistent motor, when not motivated very soft and sloppy, and entirely unreliable. I would not give him big money. This was his chance to earn it, and what I saw tonight in person was a HUGE red flag.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was there, and I felt exactly the opposite. Paul was giving it everything he possibly could, and his body, specifically that arm/hand, just isn't cooperating. The frustration and depression he was feeling from that were palpable. He was practically in tears on the sideline. And yet he would keep coming back and doing what he could, even though he literally could not play defense because he couldn't lift or extend the arm. I have actually never seen an effort quite as valiant as what I saw from Paul tonight, but his arm/hand are just gone, and with them the team's hopes.
Yep. I feel the same..I think he's just trying too hard. I can live with that.... I can see it on the court. I can't live with the guys who are physically able not giving it all in a finals game.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was just about to say this...... We shot almost 70% from three and lost. We had 5 TO's. They had 11.

WTH man....... Taking this about as poorly as you can take a loss.

Yeah I mean the Bucks played the best game I have seen them play - ever.

We played pretty well overall, but they were making everything in the 2nd and 3rd qtr.

Worst of all, I knew in the first qtr we were going to lose because of all the bone head plays we were making despite having the lead. Looking back on it, I was more right than I even realized just one or two less stupid shot attempts could have been the difference in the game.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The more I see Ayton play, the more I am reminded of Benoit Benjamin or Derrick Coleman. All the talent in the world and capable of putting up huge games here and there when motivated, but incredibly inconsistent motor, when not motivated very soft and sloppy, and entirely unreliable. I would not give him big money. This was his chance to earn it, and what I saw tonight in person was a HUGE red flag.
You officially have just become 1sun
Again ...Benoit Benjamin or Derrick Coleman? Where does this come from lol I'm speechless

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well least suns can say ayton made it further than luka now :( trying to find bright spots not many and f i cant zzz to pissed off!!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You officially have just become 1sun
Again ...Benoit Benjamin or Derrick Coleman? Where does this come from lol I'm speechless

I'm sorry, but I don't know how anyone could possibly defend Ayton after tonight's lackluster play in the most important game in franchise history. If that won't motivate him, nothing will, at least in any way that is sustainable...

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I don't know how anyone could possibly defend Ayton after tonight's lackluster play in the most important game in franchise history. If that won't motivate him, nothing will, at least in any way that is sustainable...
Without Ayton this team isnt getting by anyone in the playoffs ...stop with this nonsense.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Man this game was one of the biggest in franchise history. Hard to believe we lost...even the crowd looked in disbelief. The Bucks seemed to have an answer for everything...

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Man this game was one of the biggest in franchise history. Hard to believe we lost...even the crowd looked in disbelief. The Bucks seemed to have an answer for everything...

They made everything. I think the maybe missed 2 or 3 shots out of 20+ shot attempts in the 3rd. It was a ridiculous hot streak.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They made everything. I think the maybe missed 2 or 3 shots out of 20+ shot attempts in the 3rd. It was a ridiculous hot streak.

The shots they were making all game were insane. I keep seeing people here bash the Suns defense but the defense was good. The Bucks just kept hitting shots left and right. It wasn't the Suns defense that was the issue. The Bucks couldn't miss and no one other than Booker seemed interested in scoring for the Suns.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Bucks shot 70+% in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. They went 32-45 from the field, which included 10-17 from 3, over those 24 minutes. They also grabbed 3 offensive boards during those periods. We had hands in their faces and they were making their shots on the move. It was crazy to see a team shoot so well. Short of smacking them with tire irons, there was nothing the Suns could do to keep up.

We shot well most of the game but choked in the 2nd when we shot 10-28 total, including 2-6 from 3. That's what cost us the game. It wasn't defensive lapses so much as ridiculous shooting by the Bucks.

Its painful to rewatch but the majority of buckets they made were not easy or wide open, with the exception of a few corner 3's.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disagree, they were the better team tonight but rarely does any team shoot like they did tonight! Especially Holiday who has been a no show in this series, their big 3 never all have great games on the same night. Hats off to them but it took them playing a miraculous game to beat us…
They have been the better team in 3 of 5 games so....

Hoping the Suns can prove me wrong.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I doubt Ayton ever has the handles and movement skills giannis possesses. He’s better off learning how to establish low post position, seal a defender, catch a ball, and learning post moves to get his shot off. The one time be put the ball on the floor and tried to get his own shot was an abomination tonight.

Didn’t mean to suggest Ayton would seek to mimic Giannis’s game. Just his work ethic and drive to improve & win.
While I do believe Ayton has more athleticism than he’s yet to fully put on display, I definitely don’t seem him matching the completeness of Giannis’s game…

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Wish there was a better angle of the video on this crucial play. Booker played a tremendous game, but I just wonder 1) should he have just pulled for the midrange J? 2) when he got stuck, was there anyone to kick it out to? 3) why didnt Jae stay in the corner to give Book an option to pass to?

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
The bucks seemed to make clutch shots when needed. They were so consistent to keep us from coming back

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Wish there was a better angle of the video on this crucial play. Booker played a tremendous game, but I just wonder 1) should he have just pulled for the midrange J? 2) when he got stuck, was there anyone to kick it out to? 3) why didnt Jae stay in the corner to give Book an option to pass to?

Another example of our inexperience killing us. Booker and the team seemed to have lost their discipline and spacing. Booker taking the ball into the paint only made it easier for the Bucks to collapse, increasing the chances for them to make a defensive play…

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Ayton has decent handles (not Giannis level of course who’s Hakeem on steroids in that regard) actually but just isn’t very fluid or twitchy so not much he’d be able to do with them. More of a straight line athlete. Much smaller hands too which don’t help finishing either.

IMO Ayton needs to learn to pick and pop. That could open up more of his dives as well as declutter the lane. He has that range in him and probably fits his abilities/attitude better. Kid is too nice.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker simply wasn't expecting Holiday to be there when he turned around. It looked like a mostly clean takeaway to me. The referees are not going to call that a foul in the NBA.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another example of our inexperience killing us. Booker and the team seemed to have lost their discipline and spacing. Booker taking the ball into the paint only made it easier for the Bucks to collapse, increasing the chances for them to make a defensive play…
Could he have kicked it out to CP3? I can't tell but seems like he should have been open

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave