2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Mavericks trade for Kristaps Porzingis was tremendous. Unfortunately it has not paid the dividends expected. Maybe it still happens or perhaps something else.
The Porzingis mistake is the primary catalyst that has put everything in disarray. Yikes.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There are also reporters in Dallas claiming that Donnie Nelson was advising mark to draft giannis but that was ignored.

I’m starting to think that these stories are overblown trying to blame one person in the organization for all the mavs failures. If that is the case, blame mark. But for me as a fan I’m going to pump the brakes on that. They have managed to transition dirk out and draft arguably the best young up and coming player in the league. And He’s already a top 5 player by most accounts. They took the clippers to the limit and luka looked awesome.
That description is precisely why Luka is starting to really be labeled as a prima donna.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hopefully, this was just an isolated amount of tension between Luka and one guy in the organization. If not? Something tells me this won't be the last time you hear Luka causing strife on his team. There is a professional way to handle these situations and Luka didn't do it. Sounds like Rick is jumping ship before it gets out of hand. Mavs are bringing in Dirk to help influence Luka IMO. It's not just to help find a coach.

If this guy over the next few years turns into a cancer, the Suns dodged a bullet. Especially, with Ayton developing like he has this playoffs.

Report: Luka Doncic taunted Rick Carlisle over who was running team (larrybrownsports.com)
Did you read the article? I think doncic was right to throw that out there. And I don’t see it as taunting Carlisle as much as being frustrated that Cuban is allowing this halabaosos dude to influence games.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I am wondering when two long term employees of the Mavs, Both their GM and Coach decide to call it quits within days of each other. Each by himself you raise an eyebrow. Both like this, it has to make you wonder. Even if you don't blame Luka, something weird is going on!

I agree that there obviously had to be some tension there for a while. I would argue that there has always been tension and that has been ok. But for me these changes had to be made. If the Mavericks are going to attract younger players to Dallas, I don’t think Rick Carlisle had a player friendly reputation. Obviously luka will take a lot of the criticism for his attitude, but he is ready to win now and I don’t think that Rick Carlisle has the patience to mentor luka in the manner that he needs. If you combine that with Rick probably being burned out there in Dallas, he probably said it’s time for me to go.

Edit: I’ve actually been wondering for a while now, when Rick would move on, as opposed to being fired. I don’t think Cuban would ever want to fire Rick.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did you read the article? I think doncic was right to throw that out there. And I don’t see it as taunting Carlisle as much as being frustrated that Cuban is allowing this halabaosos dude to influence games.
Yeah. I was ready to dump all over Doncic calling him a cancer and maybe not the best pick after all. But I decided to read the article first. The headline is misleading. Doncic probably should not have made the comment in a game, but it was more a rip on Cuban and his new boyfriend than it was on Carlisle.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Porzingis mistake is the primary catalyst that has put everything in disarray. Yikes.

I think if one views it as a mistake it has to be viewed in past tense because at the time the trade looked like a steal... acquiring a star for pocket change.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I am wondering when two long term employees of the Mavs, Both their GM and Coach decide to call it quits within days of each other. Each by himself you raise an eyebrow. Both like this, it has to make you wonder. Even if you don't blame Luka, something weird is going on!
I think I’d turn my attention to the kings new evil vizier. If coach leaves, gm leaves, and star player is frustrated that new vizier has too much authority where do you think the problem lies? Has no one seen any Disney movie ever?!? It’s the habalabasous guy! Why am I the only one in the theatre yelling that at the screen?

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think if one views it as a mistake it has to be viewed in past tense because at the time the trade looked like a steal... acquiring a star for pocket change.
It did to all of us. Obviously the Knicks thought differently and many other teams too.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
That description is precisely why Luka is starting to really be labeled as a prima donna.
I’m ok with that. In Dallas we were spoiled with dirk having an angelic reputation. But yet even he called Cuban and others out in the media. He yelled at his teammates and put holes in the walls when they lost games. Most great players are prima Donnas. Most great players force the organization to be better than it is and not settle for the status quo….which for me is what Cuban has been doing since 2011. He has been milking that the ring too long and I doubt luka cares about the past and the loyalties to people from that era.

I watched the last dance and it chronicles a very disorganized and dysfunctional front office and yet the bulls won championships because they had the best player in the game that did not settle for anyone else being status quo.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think the Mavericks trade for Kristaps Porzingis was tremendous. Unfortunately it has not paid the dividends expected. Maybe it still happens or perhaps something else.
Perhaps they are keeping him regardless. If you listen to Carlisle and Cuban, both claim that KP had a difficult matchup with the clippers because of the clippers’ smaller but stronger defensive matchups. The year prior KP was more effective because of the way the clippers played. If you look at the Walker trade today as a precedent, Dallas would have to give a lot more than KP to get someone to take him and his salary. Unless someone is really wanting KP…and even then I doubt they would tip their interest.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps they are keeping him regardless. If you listen to Carlisle and Cuban, both claim that KP had a difficult matchup with the clippers because of the clippers’ smaller but stronger defensive matchups. The year prior KP was more effective because of the way the clippers played. If you look at the Walker trade today as a precedent, Dallas would have to give a lot more than KP to get someone to take him and his salary. Unless someone is really wanting KP…and even then I doubt they would tip their interest.

If I'm Dallas I keep Porzingis and look for a third piece. That can happen quite unexpectedly sometimes like if the Mavericks had moved up in the draft to select Haliburton. I never thought the Chris Paul trade would be this successful.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
If I'm Dallas I keep Porzingis and look for a third piece. That can happen quite unexpectedly sometimes like if the Mavericks had moved up in the draft to select Haliburton. I never thought the Chris Paul trade would be this successful.
I agree. I don’t think they have to trade anyone. I do think they need some more scoring ability, but i think they already have players on the roster that can score. They just need to keep improving and if they can add another top quality scorer, obviously that will help. The interesting question for me is hardaway jr. he was inconsistent at times last year, but he was very good down the stretch of the season and most of the series against the clippers. Unfortunately he and the entire team went cold in game 6 and game 7 against LA.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I did and you never throw your coach under the buss in front of everyone. Also, the fact that Carlisle is resigning cannot be overlooked. It appears it was a shock to the organization. Sorry, but Luka has shown some prima donna tendencies and this only adds to that. The fact that the Mavs are bringing in Dirk should be a red flag. Again, this might be an isolated incident but is anybody going to be surprised if something else happens down the road?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. I don’t think they have to trade anyone. I do think they need some more scoring ability, but i think they already have players on the roster that can score. They just need to keep improving and if they can add another top quality scorer, obviously that will help. The interesting question for me is hardaway jr. he was inconsistent at times last year, but he was very good down the stretch of the season and most of the series against the clippers. Unfortunately he and the entire team went cold in game 6 and game 7 against LA.

I heard a rumor Collin Sexton was available in trade.

Being a Suns fan I hope a trade like that never happens with Dallas. :wink2:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the problem is that Porzingis has no trade value. His contract is awful, and Mavs have nothing else to trade to sweeten the deal.

I think this is exactly why the Mavs should keep Porzingis. They wouldn't get fair value in a trade and he can still be good at 25.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I did and you never throw your coach under the buss in front of everyone. Also, the fact that Carlisle is resigning cannot be overlooked. It appears it was a shock to the organization. Sorry, but Luka has shown some prima donna tendencies and this only adds to that. The fact that the Mavs are bringing in Dirk should be a red flag. Again, this might be an isolated incident but is anybody going to be surprised if something else happens down the road?
Bringing in the most decorated player in the history of your organization is a “red flag.” Okay. I just think you’re out to attack luka.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I see what you are saying, but it just isn't accurate. I follow Dallas closely, and it is no secret that the players were on Rick's side (against the one who shall not be named). Luka doing what he did was simply the leader telling the coach to fight for control. Rumors have circulated for a year now that Rick was reduced to being told who to play and how many minutes to play them.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah. I think you are right. It's already burned money. They might find the right way to use Porzingis yet. However, if he is a negative in the locker room--and there is some indication that he is not content--they may have no choice but to trade him.

The next coach will have to figure it out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I think you are right. It's already burned money. They might find the right way to use Porzingis yet. However, if he is a negative in the locker room--and there is some indication that he is not content--they may have no choice but to trade him.

The next coach will have to figure it out.

I'd let the new coach give it a try as well before trading Porzingis unless there is a total impasse. Winning cures a lot of problems.

Doncic wants to advance in the playoffs.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All that Sarver had to do to be a good owner was get out of the way.

And fire McDonough.

He most definitely did not get out of the way when he lobbied for the Suns to be allowed in The Bubble. Firing McDonough is one thing, but hiring Jones and Monty are two big others. He also sunk a ton of money into the team via practice facility and arena. Sarver has been very active and very good.