2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Celtics get: Al Horford, Moses Brown, 2023 2nd round pick

Thunder get: Kemba Walker, #16 pick, 2025 2nd round pick

I just don’t get it. You trade Kemba and the 16 for Al Horford who’s owed 50 million over the next two years.

Maybe the Celtics are trying to catch lightning in a bottle like the Suns did with Chris Paul?

I don't think the Celtics were happy with their size upfront at center.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Celtics get: Al Horford, Moses Brown, 2023 2nd round pick

Thunder get: Kemba Walker, #16 pick, 2025 2nd round pick

I just don’t get it. You trade Kemba and the 16 for Al Horford who’s owed 50 million over the next two years.

If that's the deal, I don't know why they had to include the #16. I don't think Ainge gives up that pick if he's still at the helm.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe the Celtics are trying to catch lightning in a bottle like the Suns did with Chris Paul?

I don't think the Celtics were happy with their size upfront at center.

but that seems like a lot for Horford who’s way older now.

it’s not like there saving a ton of money either cause Horford has a big deal himself

I get Kemba has been dealing with injuries but to give up and the 16th pick just doesn’t seem right.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that's the deal, I don't know why they had to include the #16. I don't think Ainge gives up that pick if he's still at the helm.

but that seems like a lot for Horford who’s way older now.

it’s not like there saving a ton of money either cause Horford has a big deal himself

I get Kemba has been dealing with injuries but to give up and the 16th pick just doesn’t seem right.

I was looking at Moses Brown who was included in the trade to the Celtics. He looks like a nice young center on the rise.

The Celtics front court suddenly got bigger and better with Horford and Brown.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4397126/moses-brown

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rick Carlisle resigns as Mavs coach with two years left on his deal after the Mavs fired Donnie Nelson. Everyone says it was Ricks choice. I believe that. Carlisle said in his presser that he looks forward to more coaching opportunities. Slap. Mark Cuban’s cheek is turning red.

Watch Carlisle go to the Blazers. Just makes too much sense.

Mavs coaching job would be tough. Young Diva superstar that shows up to camp out of shape and an owner with and overactive Twitter account, where a new pro gambler has his ear.

it’s kinda like having Donald Trump as an owner, fat Barkley as your star, and Lindsay Hunter sitting in the owners box.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rick Carlisle resigns as Mavs coach with two years left on his deal after the Mavs fired Donnie Nelson. Everyone says it was Ricks choice. I believe that. Carlisle said in his presser that he looks forward to more coaching opportunities. Slap. Mark Cuban’s cheek is turning red.

Watch Carlisle go to the Blazers. Just makes too much sense.

I'm sure the Trail Blazers would like to hire him too.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dirk Nowitzki to join Mavericks as special advisor, will help search for new head coach

Chris Cwik
Fri, June 18, 2021, 10:28 AM MDT
Amid all the exits and front office turmoil, the Dallas Mavericks finally found someone who wants to be a part of the organization Friday. Former Mavericks star Dirk Nowitzki will join the team as a special advisor, according to Marc Stein of the New York Times.

Nowitzki will assist in helping the team find a new head coach after Rick Carlisle surprisingly walked away from the franchise Thursday. Nowitzki's position will not be an everyday role.

Dirk Nowitzki to join Mavericks as special advisor, will help search for new head coach (yahoo.com)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, this was just an isolated amount of tension between Luka and one guy in the organization. If not? Something tells me this won't be the last time you hear Luka causing strife on his team. There is a professional way to handle these situations and Luka didn't do it. Sounds like Rick is jumping ship before it gets out of hand. Mavs are bringing in Dirk to help influence Luka IMO. It's not just to help find a coach.

If this guy over the next few years turns into a cancer, the Suns dodged a bullet. Especially, with Ayton developing like he has this playoffs.

Report: Luka Doncic taunted Rick Carlisle over who was running team (larrybrownsports.com)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, this was just an isolated amount of tension between Luka and one guy in the organization. If not? Something tells me this won't be the last time you hear Luka causing strife on his team. There is a professional way to handle these situations and Luka didn't do it. Sounds like Rick is jumping ship before it gets out of hand. Mavs are bringing in Dirk to help influence Luka IMO. It's not just to help find a coach.

If this guy over the next few years turns into a cancer, the Suns dodged a bullet. Especially, with Ayton developing like he has this playoffs.

Report: Luka Doncic taunted Rick Carlisle over who was running team (larrybrownsports.com)

Only guessing but I think Haralabos Voulgaris may have input in the new hire.

I understand he wanted the Mavericks to move up the draft to draft Tyrese Haliburton. If true, Mark Cuban should have listened.

The Suns should have drafted Haliburton as well.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

I understand he wanted the Mavericks to move up the draft to draft Tyrese Haliburton. If true, Mark Cuban should have listened.

There are also reporters in Dallas claiming that Donnie Nelson was advising mark to draft giannis but that was ignored.

I’m starting to think that these stories are overblown trying to blame one person in the organization for all the mavs failures. If that is the case, blame mark. But for me as a fan I’m going to pump the brakes on that. They have managed to transition dirk out and draft arguably the best young up and coming player in the league. And He’s already a top 5 player by most accounts. They took the clippers to the limit and luka looked awesome.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's always easy to look back on front office moves. My point wasn't really if the front office made mistakes but how Luka is conducting himself. If Voulgaris isn't going anywhere and Cuban let's his front office make final decisions that's not likely to change. Bringing in Dirk seems to be more about mentoring Luka and his attitude then really Dirk bringing in some magical insight to the front office.

Sabotaging your front office and coach typically doesn't get you anywhere in this league. Which is why I hope this is isolated. Having said that, I have seen some of his antics on the court which leads me to believe there is something to this. I hope I am wrong because he is a great player with a huge future.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are also reporters in Dallas claiming that Donnie Nelson was advising mark to draft giannis but that was ignored.

I’m starting to think that these stories are overblown trying to blame one person in the organization for all the mavs failures. If that is the case, blame mark. But for me as a fan I’m going to pump the brakes on that. They have managed to transition dirk out and draft arguably the best young up and coming player in the league. And He’s already a top 5 player by most accounts. They took the clippers to the limit and luka looked awesome.

I think the Mavericks trade for Kristaps Porzingis was tremendous. Unfortunately it has not paid the dividends expected. Maybe it still happens or perhaps something else.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am wondering when two long term employees of the Mavs, Both their GM and Coach decide to call it quits within days of each other. Each by himself you raise an eyebrow. Both like this, it has to make you wonder. Even if you don't blame Luka, something weird is going on!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's always easy to look back on front office moves. My point wasn't really if the front office made mistakes but how Luka is conducting himself. If Voulgaris isn't going anywhere and Cuban let's his front office make final decisions that's not likely to change. Bringing in Dirk seems to be more about mentoring Luka and his attitude then really Dirk bringing in some magical insight to the front office.

Sabotaging your front office and coach typically doesn't get you anywhere in this league. Which is why I hope this is isolated. Having said that, I have seen some of his antics on the court which leads me to believe there is something to this. I hope I am wrong because he is a great player with a huge future.

If I'm the Mavericks I make Luka happy first and foremost even if it means moving on from Voulgaris or whatever is making him unhappy. Doncic is a franchise player.

I like Dirk. Hopefully he is able to resolve any problems the franchise might have.