The Market 2021

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's so disappointing when you sell your volitility and it just keep going up. Not just because you could make more but more because you're not part of the action now. I know better than to jump back in though. It's too late for that.

My call option on amc had a 10.87 breakeven price and I sold at like 13.50. schmuck. I'd look genius selling today.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I have been waiting for it to drop, too! So I found a fixed interest fund in my 401k and it returned 14% year over year since my change. I know that's not great compared to the market as a whole, but I will take 14% year in and year out if I could get it! I just keep waiting for the market to drop, even during the Trump years there were indicators that were negative or historically bad, and the market just keeps chugging along. Makes me wonder if this is a redo of the roaring twenties before, and another depression is coming? If so, gotta find some place to build my still when prohibition comes back!!

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I think it’s going to 50-100 real soon then falling back down to 10-20 this week.

just a feeling

Wow! We just broke 50! Congrats on your holdings. Wish I had bought more now. Never thought I'd go from 60% down to making 2-3x on the bit I have.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
egg on my face selling call options once it hit $14. I could be pocketing around 40k instead of $1500.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm keeping an eye on it now. If we get a bit of a red candle I think I'm going to buy back in just with profits from what was just sold. Roll the dice on it with house money.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just watching in shame. I've learning my lesson buying during a fever in the past. Wiping tears away with all the profits I did make.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm just watching in shame. I've learning my lesson buying during a fever in the past. Wiping tears away with all the profits I did make.

Taking profits isn't a bad thing. It could have just as easily tanked. I'm kicking myself a little for not being 30 seconds quicker with changing my stop loss but with the volatility there's some piece of mind. I ended up buying back in at a smaller position. I took out my initial investment plus a couple hundred and put them in something a little more sane. So I'm playing all with house money now on AMC. Lets get that squeeze to $1000 :)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Congratulations on the AMC surge! I hope you are able to cash in a nice profit.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I expect a dip today but who F’ing knows

Well, we got the dip. Almost everything is looking bad for me right now. Everything is red except for a couple SPACs and those I don't care about the price on. Hopefully we can bounce back later in the day.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, we got the dip. Almost everything is looking bad for me right now. Everything is red except for a couple SPACs and those I don't care about the price on. Hopefully we can bounce back later in the day.

Dropped down to 37 and now knocking on the door of 50

lol that’s all you got bruh. It’s all about perspective it was 12 bucks two weeks ago

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to get back in once prices drop and stabilize, setting a new floor. Will be interesting seeing what the next two weeks hold.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ford has been on an absolute tear over the last year. Up near 7% today, 81% YTD and nearly 170% over one year.

I bought F in 2017 at about $11. It peaked over $13 shortly after and then tanked hitting its low during the corona crash of just above $4.

Hopefully they start paying a dividend again soon.

I'm up about 50% right now but that pales in comparison to what the market returned during that same time.

I'm toying with putting a trailing stop on it. But a consistent dividend could entice me to be a longer term investor.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford has been on an absolute tear over the last year. Up near 7% today, 81% YTD and nearly 170% over one year.

I bought F in 2017 at about $11. It peaked over $13 shortly after and then tanked hitting its low during the corona crash of just above $4.

I'm up about 50% right now but that pales in comparison to what the market returned during that same time.

I'm toying with putting a trailing stop on it. But a consistent dividend could entice me to be a longer term investor.
Looking at the chart, I would be trailing stops too. I looked at ford one point but its about to be a higher stock price that it has over the past 5 years and that always scares me that it will plop back downward real soon. It was relatively close to where it is now and the gains by the time it got to here were too small to get me excited. Glad its booming for you though. too bad you didnt double down at $4 ;)

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking at the chart, I would be trailing stops too. I looked at ford one point but its about to be a higher stock price that it has over the past 5 years and that always scares me that it will plop back downward real soon. It was relatively close to where it is now and the gains by the time it got to here were too small to get me excited. Glad its booming for you though. too bad you didnt double down at $4 ;)

To be fair, buying any stock in late March 2020 was just as good. During that time, I wasn't trying to pick winners. I was just buying the whole market at that point. But yeah. Buying at $4 would have been sweet!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be fair, buying any stock in late March 2020 was just as good. During that time, I wasn't trying to pick winners. I was just buying the whole market at that point. But yeah. Buying at $4 would have been sweet!

You must be registered for see images attach
That's a significant breakout on that long term chart. It just has to hold now or it can retest that same trend line to the downside.... Which I think would be completely normal and healthy.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

It's probably worth putting the trailing stop on. They're not going to be paying dividends soon. They're restricted from doing so for 12 months after they pay back their cares act money. I had had the same thought when I bought Delta during the crash. That act provision really kills some of the benefit. I've been thinking of selling it now since it's mostly rebounded and putting that cash into something that'll earn better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a significant breakout on that long term chart. It just has to hold now or it can retest that same trend line to the downside.... Which I think would be completely normal and healthy.

Anything fairly safe to put your money in now that pays a decent interest rate? Money markets and CDs are paying nothing. I'm not a student of the stock market other than the basics. I'm not thinking long term at the moment.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anything fairly safe to put your money in now that pays a decent interest rate? Money markets and CDs are paying nothing. I'm not a student of the stock market other than the basics. I'm not thinking long term at the moment.
I think safe is a word that everyone is going to have completely different views on based on tolerance levels of risk. But, I think having a balanced portfolio, especially in this environment of high volatility, is most important. Finding a good mix of every asset class would be wise. Some physical gold/silver, bonds, stocks and even cash as position isn't a bad idea. I know you indicated not looking long term..but it's tough to say right now about anything short term. Personally, imho, I think we are ready for short term to intermediate term bounce in bonds(tlt)... so that would be my pick on anything short term ATM. Hope that helps.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think safe is a word that everyone is going to have completely different views on based on tolerance levels of risk. But, I think having a balanced portfolio, especially in this environment of high volatility, is most important. Finding a good mix of every asset class would be wise. Some physical gold/silver, bonds, stocks and even cash as position isn't a bad idea. I know you indicated not looking long term..but it's tough to say right now about anything short term. Personally, imho, I think we are ready for short term to intermediate term bounce in bonds(tlt)... so that would be my pick on anything short term ATM. Hope that helps.

Thanks, it does help.

I've thought about using a stock broker but I don't want to get ripped off. I guess I'm looking for a stable fund to put some money that is diversified.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

everything I see is garbage. So, I learned the stock market. If you're not afraid to lose a little while you learn, it has been far better to me than I imagined and there are plenty of undervalued stocks to jump on that should bang within 2021

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, it does help.

I've thought about using a stock broker but I don't want to get ripped off. I guess I'm looking for a stable fund to put some money that is diversified.

IMO, a stock broker isnt that helpful vs learning it and understanding it on your own. Based on this post, I would recommend ETFs. ETFs are index funds, just like retirement. I use schwab and schwab has several index funds that are diversified for you and they manage it so you can be hands off. its like a stock broker managing a retirement fund. there is a portfolio picker on the website that assesses the value to invest vs your risk and suggest 4 ETFs to put your money into. its a wonderful tool and last I looked averages a 8% annual return. .

(this was my introduction to the stock market and was introduced to me by a former schwab stock broker that now works with me, he left due to slashed commissions)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose