2021 4th round pick is Marco Wilson CB

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Honestly I want a guy with at least some of both. I have just not seen great athletes that don't know how to play converted into good players in the NFL.

Look at all the Olympians they have tried to turn into NFL players, and basically none of them have really succeeded that I can remember.

Some of both goes on day 2.

Technique can be taught. 44" certs cannot.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This was my take with how we approached free agency. I think they signed Butler pre-draft because he is a little versatile, but my guess is that we see some pure zone vet signings after no CB in the first two rounds.

Well it's hard to NEVER go man, so you'll need at least one guy who can really match up.

I bet the Cardinals will sign at least one decent CB vet. Wilson and Gowan are likely 4th and 5th CBs who are longer term projects.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly I want a guy with at least some of both. I have just not seen great athletes that don't know how to play converted into good players in the NFL.

Look at all the Olympians they have tried to turn into NFL players, and basically none of them have really succeeded that I can remember.

Olympians are purely sprinters for the most part?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I mean...

He played 32 games in the SEC.

He comes from a family that has put guys in the NFL.

He does not have any off-field issues that I know about.

He has exceptional athletic skills.

His film is inconsistent which means there is both good AND bad. Not just bad and not just good. This is because his technique is also inconsistent which is not uncommon for special athletes. If his technique was more refined, he would not have made it to the 4th round.

So, I don't really feel your comp with trying to convert an Olympic athlete is really valid. He is not new to football. He has a lot of meaningful experience but because he is so athletic, he has not been forced to refine his technique to be successful.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Well it's hard to NEVER go man, so you'll need at least one guy who can really match up.

I bet the Cardinals will sign at least one decent CB vet. Wilson and Gowan are likely 4th and 5th CBs who are longer term projects.
Yes, you normally mix coverage but when you have lesser CBs, you try and pick your moments a little more.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some of both goes on day 2.

Technique can be taught. 44" certs cannot.

thats not true the 6th rounder cb we took has some of both.

granted he is on the lower end of physically passable, but I think his chances of success are far better.

I’ve seen bad athletes like Richard Sherman, succeed before too.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
thats not true the 6th rounder cb we took has some of both.

granted he is on the lower end of physically passable, but I think his chances of success are far better.

I’ve seen bad athletes like Richard Sherman, succeed before too.

Sherman isn't a bad athlete.

He went day three because he only played two seasons at corner, albeit at a high level at Stanford.

He has extremely long arms, is tall, and has good speed.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sherman isn't a bad athlete.

He went day three because he only played two seasons at corner, albeit at a high level at Stanford.

He has extremely long arms, is tall, and has good speed.

well I thought I remembered he ran like a 4.7 40, but now after googling it says he ran a 4.56 which is still slow for a corner. In fact I would not want to draft one that slow.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean...

He played 32 games in the SEC.

He comes from a family that has put guys in the NFL.

He does not have any off-field issues that I know about.

He has exceptional athletic skills.

His film is inconsistent which means there is both good AND bad. Not just bad and not just good. This is because his technique is also inconsistent which is not uncommon for special athletes. If his technique was more refined, he would not have made it to the 4th round.

So, I don't really feel your comp with trying to convert an Olympic athlete is really valid. He is not new to football. He has a lot of meaningful experience but because he is so athletic, he has not been forced to refine his technique to be successful.

Also worth noting that his 2019 tape and performance was better than 2020, but it was a weird year. Florida had players cross training for different positions, so CB's learning safety, or slot roles etc to cover for opt outs or covid cases.

And Florida's defense as a whole was trash.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
well I thought I remembered he ran like a 4.7 40, but now after googling it says he ran a 4.56 which is still slow for a corner. In fact I would not want to draft one that slow.
6'3 cb, again speed field with pad on is different then track speed on shorts
Isabella is a 4 30 guy on shorts, with pad on looks like a 4.45

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sherman was a good enough athlete who understood how to use his length, was really strategic in general, and then went to a perfect scheme fit. Also didn't help him that the rumor is that Harbaugh was a little negative regarding him with NFL teams which caused him to drop.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sherman was a good enough athlete who understood how to use his length, was really strategic in general, and then went to a perfect scheme fit. Also didn't help him that the rumor is that Harbaugh was a little negative regarding him with NFL teams which caused him to drop.

Sherman is a master class on routing WR's towards the sideline.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting tidbit.

Marco Wilson ran 4x100 relay at a high level with 3 other guys who were just drafted.

The 2017 American Heritage 4x100 relay team has all been drafted now:

Patrick Surtain II: Broncos
Tyson Campbell: Jaguars
Jonathan Schwartz: Browns
Marco Wilson: Cardinals

That's must have been some high school football team (also had Tedarrell Slaton and Khalil Herbert)

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I like the idea of this pick (athletic corner with good size), but the actual player seems a bit suspect. When was the last time the Cards drafted someone with motivation problems who actually worked out well? Oh, he also tore his ACL twice and has serious issues tackling.

I hope he turns into something, but I fear he is essentially the Hakeem Butler of CBs.
I was so excited about Butler. Ugh

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
this is an ouch:

136. Cardinals, Marco Wilson, CB, Florida
Grade: C+

Freaky athlete at his pro day who doesn't necessarily play to that level of twitch and explosion on film. Minimal ball production and doesn't mirror well. Worth a flier because of the timed athleticism.

137. Seahawks, Tre Brown, CB, Oklahoma
Grade: A

Super-feisty ready-to-go slot. Feet are lightning bolts and he loves battling. Will be an instant starter.
Ouch

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
dont worry. if we drafted a ready to go slot corner, the board would be lamenting why we drafted a slot corner.
Which would make sense, seeing as we spent the top pick of the 2nd round three years ago on a slot corner who is basically just decent.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Which isn't bad for a 2nd round pick.

Murphy is a keeper. He isn't a star, but he isn't a problem either.
Haha, it's pretty bad for the top pick of round 2. Guys in that round are supposed to be stars or good starters. I know you miss sometimes, but the expectations are high and even higher at the top of 2.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which would make sense, seeing as we spent the top pick of the 2nd round three years ago on a slot corner who is basically just decent.

I'm talking about how everyone ******* about his draft pock because he is a slot corner. I still like the pick personally.