Path to the draft....trades, rumors, etc

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Btw, the guy Charlie Weis compares Smith to is Marvin Harrison. Harrison was 5’11 and about 179 in his playing days, lighter when entered the league.
I’d take a Marvin Harrison on the Cards.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But Waddle is a much better prospect. That’s why he’s a top 10-12 pick and those guys are likely 2nd rounders.

However, I wouldn’t trade up for any WR not named Chase.

Is he? I like him but he's been consistently mocked around the mid teens. He's never topped 848 yards and he did that his freshman year.

He's far from the sure thing some people think.

He's not dissimilar to Henry Ruggs from last year and he didn't break 500 yards.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
He's not dissimilar to Henry Ruggs from last year and he didn't break 500 yards.

Ruggs is much more a straightline burner

Waddle is more explosive in change in direction

Ruggs was never much of a punt returner, while Waddle is elite in that regard

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Yes.

Those guys may turn out to be better pros but Waddle is the better prospect going into the league when you factor in hands, speed, RAC.

I loved AJ Brown in his draft class. He was my favorite but he wasn’t the top prospect.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ruggs is much more a straightline burner

Waddle is more explosive in change in direction

Ruggs was never much of a punt returner, while Waddle is elite in that regard

OK but I disagree. Returning aside there lots similar in their tape.

That's not to say Waddle will fail just that hes far from a lock.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Players the Cardinals are willing to trade up for.

Kyle Pitts (this I know)
Ja'Marr Chase (I am guessing)
Jaylen Waddle (this is what it is sounding like)

Players the Cardinals may consider trading up for
Pat Surtain
Jaycee Horn

Where I think you see the gap is that there are evaluators who believe the Pitts, Chase, and Waddle are "special talents" regardless of draft year and fill a need that we have. If the price is right and the player is there, Keim will move.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK but I disagree. Returning aside there lots similar in their tape.

That's not to say Waddle will fail just that hes far from a lock.
Ruggs didn’t have nearly the change of direction that Waddle has. Also didn’t have the hands nor route running either & I liked Ruggs a lot. Still do. I don’t think Ruggs was faster either.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Schrager: Dont be surprised if the Cardinals draft an OT. WR or OT is on the board for the Cardinals as this year is all about getting Kyler ready to go after this draft

Tough to hear when Wirfs was on the board and even the WR coach saying Jefferson was the best WR in the draft (trade down option)

I guess better late than never, but i dont want them overcorrecting either. Love Waddle, but not sure about giving up a 2nd rounder with so few picks.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Players the Cardinals are willing to trade up for.

Kyle Pitts (this I know)
Ja'Marr Chase (I am guessing)
Jaylen Waddle (this is what it is sounding like)

Players the Cardinals may consider trading up for
Pat Surtain
Jaycee Horn

Where I think you see the gap is that there are evaluators who believe the Pitts, Chase, and Waddle are "special talents" regardless of draft year and fill a need that we have. If the price is right and the player is there, Keim will move.
I honestly can’t wait to see your reaction once we draft Smith.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I honestly can’t wait to see your reaction once we draft Smith.
lol.

Probably similar to my reaction when we draft most years. Disappointment with hope that I am wrong. I have a tough time picturing his fit in an offense that emphasizes vertical outside routes requiring size and speed and underneath routes requiring RAC ability. Devonta Smith would be another square peg in a round hole IMO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Ruggs didn’t have nearly the change of direction that Waddle has. Also didn’t have the hands nor route running either & I liked Ruggs a lot. Still do. I don’t think Ruggs was faster either.
Having spent some time digging in on Waddle, I like him the best out of Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle and Smith from this class and last year. I feel like he has the ability to do the most out of that group. The rest have good skill sets but nothing special IMO. He is the only one who has the unique potential to take over a game and wreck a game plan. Putting him on the field with Hopkins and Kyler's running ability is scary when you are trying to game plan against.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I was a big Ruggs fan last year and I also haven’t changed my opinion. They both have elite on field speed. I agree that Waddle has the edge in change of direction, but Ruggs caught the ball very well with his hands and made plenty of contested catches, so I wouldn’t give Waddle any advantage there. Both of them demand attention that help offenses much more than there stats will show.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm going to be so disappointed if we trade up for a WR, but if we do, things might get interesting. If we go WR in the first, I think our offense evolves to become more like the offense Kliff ran in college. In his two years in the NFL Kliff has used 5 WR sets 11 times total, while in college his teams would go 5 wide quite frequently. In college 10 personnel was Kliffs base, while in the NFL, Kliff has 11 & 12 as his most used groupings.

I know in his first year Kliff was forced to use TEs a lot because both our line and receivers weren't up to snuff. But this next season? With a huge upgrade at center, AJ Green and a shiny first round wideout, who knows. Maybe we're going to see the real "air raid" next season.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
if he is there at #16 and you are the GM -- what do you do? (and if he is there, it implies the big 3 CBs are gone)

I take him without hesitation
I likely do, but I think I cringe watching him all season waiting to see him get broken on the field.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Making the playoffs isn't a successful season. Making the NFCCG or AFCCG could be considered a success. Anything else, not really.

But let's play your game and look at last year.

Chiefs - 803, 254, 169, 123, 97
Bills - 687, 481, 70, 63
Steelers - 721, 368, 113, 65
Titans - 2027, 204, 95
Ravens - 805, 723, 299, 70
Browns - 1067, 841, 166
Colts - 1169, 380, 308

Packers - 1104, 505, 242
Saints - 932, 656, 101
Seahawks - 681, 356, 108, 88
WFT - 795, 365, 258
Bucs - 978, 367, 109
Rams - 625, 624, 419
Bears - 1070, 232, 74

So. Of 14 teams only 5 have what you would call a feature back or bellcow. I think you might try to argue RoJo was that guy for the Bucs but he wasn't. He got a bunch of those yards early in the season, lost a lot of carries to Fournette later. I had him in FF so the sadness still lingers.

Carson probably would have had more yards if not for missing some games but would have been 908 at the same rate. And the point is, they still made the playoffs spreading the load around.

If you want to do other years feel free but in todays game, a feature back just isn't crucial.

I'd still like a solid 3rd back before I'm happy with the RB room though.
You must not have been a cardinals fan for long to believe that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Btw, the guy Charlie Weis compares Smith to is Marvin Harrison. Harrison was 5’11 and about 179 in his playing days, lighter when entered the league.
I’d take a Marvin Harrison on the Cards.
That seems like a legit comp. but 6 foot and 166lbs . . . tough wrapping my head around how he doesn’t snap during a game.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Waddle is a complete WR. He does everything.

Not sure about the Devonte/Marvin comp. Harrison had some of the best feet I can remember and had supernatural chemistry with Manning. Physically? Yeah sure.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Not sure about the Devonte/Marvin comp. Harrison had some of the best feet I can remember and had supernatural chemistry with Manning. Physically? Yeah sure.
A dude like devonte doesn’t do what he does with slight stature and adequate speed without magical feet.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

It wasn't supernatural. They worked and worked and then worked some more at it.