Malcom Butler signed

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is a good signing. Upgraded position, didn’t pay a lot.

it’s also another 30-something player and a one-year contract. This year should be entertaining (assuming all the old guys remain uninjured), but we are going to likely experience a rinse and repeat offseason next.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This is a good signing. Upgraded position, didn’t pay a lot.

it’s also another 30-something player and a one-year contract. This year should be entertaining (assuming all the old guys remain uninjured), but we are going to likely experience a rinse and repeat offseason next.
A discussion in another thread had me looking at the 2021 and 2022 contracts and the amount of rebuilding this team has to do in the next two years is just shocking. We'll look a lot different, for better or worse.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you’re bitching about this signing, you’re just bitching to bitch.

it’s a boom or bust year. I’m hoping for boom.

It's also a year unlike any we have ever seen in the NFL with the large reduction in the salary cap due to the coronavirus. Teams and players are scrambling. The one year deals are the the rule not the exception. If we have a back to normal season with fans back in the stands, the salary cap will go up significantly next year. Salary cap management is crucial for the next several years.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I mean, it fills a need. Not the most thrilling option, but he is AN option in a very weak field of candidates. I'm just glad we filled that need and have at least a little leeway in the draft. Still think we're pigeonholed into taking an early CB.
Who would you like for the Cardinals to draft at #16? There's several different ways to go. Depends on who slips to us really? Drafting a CB wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen imo. They can learn from 2 Veteran Corners & after 2021 we may not have Alford or Butler? I'm not holding my breath on Alford being that great anyways for obvious reasons but our CB situation damn sure looks better today than it did yesterday.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really like the quality of guys the Cards are adding. Butler, Watt, Green, Hudson, Golden etc all have some dog in them. Also something this team has been missing. More Crufts than Junk Yard.

If that's the kind of guy they are looking for then Horn may be the pick. I read he's a real A-hole on the field. Loads of goading WR's. Hits them in the face, drives them on tackles. Really gives everything he's got.
Horn is very physical & a good CB. I watch a whole lot of SEC football because of Kentucky playing in the SEC. I will not be mad one bit if Jaycee Horn is our pick at #16.

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Fantastic signing, best talent to value ratio out there hands down. I’m getting really excited to see the defense now, and more so if we can somehow land Surtain or Horn.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Love this move.

Played better that PP last year Coming off an injury and fits the scheme better.

Would have preferred one of the younger CBs, but this is a Nice back-up plan

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Who would you like for the Cardinals to draft at #16? There's several different ways to go. Depends on who slips to us really? Drafting a CB wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen imo. They can learn from 2 Veteran Corners & after 2021 we may not have Alford or Butler? I'm not holding my breath on Alford being that great anyways for obvious reasons but our CB situation damn sure looks better today than it did yesterday.

Hoo, boy, I don't know. Probably a CB, but I've not been paying any attention to prospects beyond CB so I don't know them. Probably because we still really need one.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hoo, boy, I don't know. Probably a CB, but I've not been paying any attention to prospects beyond CB so I don't know them. Probably because we still really need one.

I wasn't to enamored with this CB class back in Jan. I don't get to watch a lot of college ball and what I had seen it look to be Surtain, then a gap, then Horn and Farley then a big gap.

But as I see more, and draft season highlights more guys and workout progress I was way off the mark. This is a deep class for CB to the point where I think there a very good guy there if we trade back in round 1, or even wait until round 2.

So much so I'm wondering is CB at #16 would be smart. If the drop off to a CB in round 2 is much smaller than say, the drop off with a TE, then it's not wise to go with CB in round 1.

For example, would you rather have Jaycee Horn and Brevin Jordan or Kyle Pitts and Ifeatu Melifonwu (big fan)?

My personal option would be a small trade back, pick up and extra 2nd. Take Greg Newsome in round 1, then Brevin Jordan and Ifeatu Melifonwu in round 2. Double dip at CB.

OP
OP
juza76

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My personal option would be a small trade back, pick up and extra 2nd. Take Greg Newsome in round 1, then Brevin Jordan and Ifeatu Melifonwu in round 2. Double dip at CB.

Would be a great plan but i think more then adding a second cb they would draft a pass rusher

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm good with this!!! He's a PIECE, granted a damn good one, but the secondary is far from a finished product. He's a pro, and he's got some dog in him, frankly something the secondary has lacked since DJ Swearinger (the good times) and Tony Jefferson. Kudos!

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You realize "1st" in this context means the most, for targets and receptions, right? As in he had the most targets of any CB in the NFL and gave up the most receptions?

And there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

Those numbers simply do not tell the whole story about the Titans defence and the role he played.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yet still 4% less than P2. With far less yards per and a much lower passer rating allowed.
Looking at his stats I would guess the scheme he was in allowed short completions, but relied on coming up and making the tackle. Between his stats and your post that would make a lot of sense.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
And there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

Those numbers simply do not tell the whole story about the Titans defence and the role he played.
Yet still 4% less than P2. With far less yards per and a much lower passer rating allowed.
Still gave up just as many TDs and way more yardage.

It's fine though, I don't want to stand on a soapbox about Malcolm Butler. I think he'll provide just about what we got last year out of PP21 in a different style, and he's cheaper. It's not the end of the world.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose