JJ Watt signs with AZ

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like are you guys just purposely acting lost about Reddick

Reddick finally had a full offseason to practiced in his “should’ve been” position since he got drafted & what happens? Dude plays great & ends up with a better season than any season from dudes like Bud Dupree & Leonard Floyd(who some here want to sign if Reddick leaves) where they played their natural position every single year, all the while playing with much better supporting casts than Reddick did

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Who said ANYTHING like that? The people who want him back want to treat him similarly to Hump. Transition Tag him and see if he deserves a big contract on a prove it year.

jesus... the projected arguments people make to try and portray others as unreasonable is so typical in this board.
Kinda like saying Reddick is elite, right?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not if Kyler takes another step. Literally nothing else matters except Kyler and Ws (extremely strong correlation).

Coaching matters too. Which is why I don't have much hope for this coming season.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Golden is just as good as Reddick. Sign him to a 2-3 year deal and be done with the starters. Cut Kennard.

Make sure we have Gardeck, and then a draft pick....somewhere....could be a potential starter in the 1st or 2nd....or a major depth guy in the 7th...but I would be ok rolling with that group of OLB with the possibility of adding a low price vet during camp

Look, I'm no big fan of Reddick. But your nuts if you think Golden is in his league as far as pass rushing.

I don't really like either one - Reddick is too small and one dimensional, Golden is slow.

Honestly - and this may sound crazy - I think Gardeck can be just as good as Reddick as a situational pass rusher.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was second in the entire league for negative plays on defense. He wasn’t just sacking the QB and getting pressures.

and he had one thing sorely lacking on this D... SPEED.

Gardeck was even better on a per snap basis.

Reddick is not worth breaking the bank on.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gardeck was even better on a per snap basis.

Reddick is not worth breaking the bank on.

Gardeck is coming off an ACL LATE in the season. Depending on him is classic Cardinals crap.

also, Gardeck isn’t big enough to withstand the pounding as an every down OLB. Reddick has at least proven he can stay on the field for an entire game, while impacting the passing and running game with 12.5 sacks and 15 TFL.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gardeck is coming off an ACL LATE in the season. Depending on him is classic Cardinals crap.

also, Gardeck isn’t big enough to withstand the pounding as an every down OLB. Reddick has at least proven he can stay on the field for an entire game, while impacting the passing and running game with 12.5 sacks and 15 TFL.

Well I admit I don't know where Gardeck is on recovery, but they fix ACL's awful fast nowadays.

Reddick is gone. The choice was really only between him and Chandler realistically for cap reasons, and it is clear the front office wants to keep Chandler.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Golden is just as good as Reddick. Sign him to a 2-3 year deal and be done with the starters. Cut Kennard.

Make sure we have Gardeck, and then a draft pick....somewhere....could be a potential starter in the 1st or 2nd....or a major depth guy in the 7th...but I would be ok rolling with that group of OLB with the possibility of adding a low price vet during camp
Yeah, no.

golden has a motor and plays hard but he doesn’t have the speed Reddick has.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Reddick:

his run grade isnt good. that might be a function of the thin d-line playing next to him. it might just be because he is 230lbs or so and setting the edge isnt his strength

that said, he can rush the passer and it sure looks like the lightbulb went on this year. you can discount the Giants game, but even if it was a 2 sack game vs 5, that still 9.5 sacks -- and that will get you paid

my theory is that Reddick knows what he is getting and its too much for the Cards. So the Cards went out and spent the Reddick money on an available defensive difference maker

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That guy got absolutely owned by Gambo today. Gambo got Watt to admit other teams offered more money and it was other things that brought him here.

National media just got their asses kicked on this entire story
I did find it interesting that they all poo-pooed the choice of the cards except Stephen A.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Like I said, he showed potential after 5 years.
You comfortable giving a 5 year/75 mill contract to him? I’m not.
Let’s be more accurate. He played like a stud in his fourth season, after having been played out of position and finally being played solely in the position in which he was successful in college. And you tag him.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He didn't say bargain, just that others did offer more total dollars.

Ultimately the Cardinals had the combination of elite QB, defensive star power, familiar scheme, and great management (his words). That all meant more than the money

I wonder if Keim bumped the GMoney a milly for the “great management” plug?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I admit I don't know where Gardeck is on recovery, but they fix ACL's awful fast nowadays.

Reddick is gone. The choice was really only between him and Chandler realistically for cap reasons, and it is clear the front office wants to keep Chandler.

they don’t fix them that fast. And there didn’t have to be a choice. They made the choice when they splurged on Watt. I fear that choice is going to burn them in both the present and future.

we just made this D even older and slower than it already was when Reddick leaves.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
they don’t fix them that fast. And there didn’t have to be a choice. They made the choice when they splurged on Watt. I fear that choice is going to burn them in both the present and future.

we just made this D even older and slower than it already was when Reddick leaves.
It would be just like the Cardinals to have watt wrench his back for two years and Reddick blow up for someone else.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reddick:

his run grade isnt good. that might be a function of the thin d-line playing next to him. it might just be because he is 230lbs or so and setting the edge isnt his strength

that said, he can rush the passer and it sure looks like the lightbulb went on this year. you can discount the Giants game, but even if it was a 2 sack game vs 5, that still 9.5 sacks -- and that will get you paid

my theory is that Reddick knows what he is getting and its too much for the Cards. So the Cards went out and spent the Reddick money on an available defensive difference maker

He's over 240.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Look, I'm no big fan of Reddick. But your nuts if you think Golden is in his league as far as pass rushing.

I don't really like either one - Reddick is too small and one dimensional, Golden is slow.

Honestly - and this may sound crazy - I think Gardeck can be just as good as Reddick as a situational pass rusher.

Golden has proven he can sacks in this league, over multiple years, with two different teams. He won't be expensive. He and garden should be back

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Watt makes more sense than reddick because he can provide inside pressure and better run support, assuming he stays healthy of course.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
J.J. Watt went to great lengths to keep his news quiet until he announced it himself

J.J. Watt did something not many players have ever done. He made his own free agent announcement.

“Take control of your own narrative,” Watt said, via Josh Weinfuss of ESPN.

No reporter was tipped off, and the Cardinals didn’t beat him to the punch. The defensive end took no chances, though, even using subterfuge in his T-shirt order.

Watt ordered T-shirts for the final “four or five” teams in his search, ensuring he would be ready come decision time. But Watt, conscious that news of Patrick Mahomes‘ record extension with the Chiefs last summer was leaked by a liquor store clerk, took no chances.

In fact, Watt went to great lengths to ensure no one at an Amazon fulfillment center would put two and two together. He asked his brother’s high school friend to order the shirts with the friend’s credit card and had the delivery going to the friend’s house to throw anyone off his trail.

“This is kind of funny,” Watt said. “It’s kind of stupid, too, but whatever.”

It worked as Watt broke his own news on social media Monday, posting a photo of him under a squat bar while wearing a Cardinals’ shirt.

“We kept it very quiet,” Watt said. “There were a lot of rumors and reports. It was funny to sit back and watch it all play out. At the end, when I decided Arizona was the place, we realized how quiet it had truly been on that front.”

Cardinals General Manager Steve Keim put a full-court press on Watt, using celebrities Frank Caliendo and Blake Shelton to woo Watt. It also didn’t hurt that Arizona seemingly made the biggest offer as Watt signed a two-year, $31 million deal.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave