JJ Watt signs with AZ

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think it's more likely Reddick and PP21 are gone...Free up money to go after another WR in FA (Curtis Samuel or JuJu, who'd be an awesome #2) and draft heavy on CB, LB and OL and RB.

I like the theory on this. We need WR,OL, CB, RB, LB. find two / three more of these in FA and fill everything else via the draft

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
With both Cards fans and fans from Texas, it should be easy to fill the stadium for a few years. We have lots of star players who either played for Texans or originally from Texas. Heck, there could be more Texans at the stadium some Sundays than there are Arizonans.

I don't like admitting it, but I was born in Texas, lived there until I was 12 and then again for a couple years in my 60s. The thing I associate most with Texas are bugs. So many critters everywhere .... creepy crawly things, bugs all over your car and windshield, flies and mosquitoes driving you crazy all summer. Thus I suggest we give a nickname, the Bugs, to all our players that are from Texas and/or have played ball for a Texas team. Just begin saying, "He's a bug. Or there's a couple bugs over there."

Besides Hopkins, Watt, Murray, Hicks, and Cantrell, who are some other Bugs on the Cardinals team?

Last edited:

Card Fan 2 B

Reaction score
For those who value negative plays created for front seven defensive players, here is why this all looks to potentially work.

Haason Reddick 15 TFLs (T-5th) and 12.5 sacks = 27.5 negative plays created
JJ Watt 14 TFLs (T-8th) and 5 sacks = 19 negative plays created
Jordan Hicks 11 TFLs (T-21st) and 0 sacks = 11 negative plays created

Jordan Phillips 13 TFLs (T-16th) and 9.5 sacks = 22.5 negative plays created
Markus Golden 13 TFLs (T-16th) and 10 sacks = 23 negative plays created
Chandler Jones 11 TFLs (T-30th) and 19 sacks = 30 negative plays created
Jordan Hicks 11 TFLs (T-30th) and 1.5 sacks = 12.5 negative plays created

The point being that if you believe (like me) that modern defense is predominantly red zone / 3rd down / 4th down / negative plays / QB pressures / turnovers. ... we have a bunch of guys can do that if we bring them all back.

This is why I say it doesn't make sense to cut Phillips. He wasn't healthy and the last time he was on a good line, he wrecked havoc because he can win one-on-ones.

For those who don't love Hicks. I feel he will look better with Simmons next to him vs Campbell.

one big factor... JJ Watt was double and triple teamed a large percentage of the plays and with zero supporting cast on the most trash defense in the NFL. Worst DB in the league and had most plays run away from him. On the Cardinals the dude is going to ball out.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If the key to the Cards defensive success is Reddick, then it’s going to be a long year.

I’m all for keeping him but let’s not act they’re losing Khalil Mack.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the key to the Cards defensive success is Reddick, then it’s going to be a long year.

I’m all for keeping him but let’s not act they’re losing Khalil Mack.

It’s pretty common for pass rush units to have cumulative effect beyond their individual components. Redick would be running free with all the attention devoted to Chandler and JJ. He was elite last year, showed massive improvement throughout the year, with no help, and is entering his prime.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
TB last year, the Giants SB teams, immediately come to mind.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Golden is just as good as Reddick. Sign him to a 2-3 year deal and be done with the starters. Cut Kennard.

Make sure we have Gardeck, and then a draft pick....somewhere....could be a potential starter in the 1st or 2nd....or a major depth guy in the 7th...but I would be ok rolling with that group of OLB with the possibility of adding a low price vet during camp

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
It’s pretty common for pass rush units to have cumulative effect beyond their individual components. Redick would be running free with all the attention devoted to Chandler and JJ. He was elite last year, showed massive improvement throughout the year, with no help, and is entering his prime.
Elite????
didn’t he have about 1/2 his total sacks in 2 games?

He definitely improved and showed potential, but nothing in his career makes him worth an overpay contract.

I want to keep him but he’s maybe the 4th-5th best player on the defense Why pay him like he’s a top guy on the defense?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elite????

He definitely improved and showed potential, but nothing in his career makes him worth an overpay contract.

I want to keep him but he’s maybe the 4th-5th best player on the defense Why pay him like he’s a top guy on the defense?
He was second in the entire league for negative plays on defense. He wasn’t just sacking the QB and getting pressures.

and he had one thing sorely lacking on this D... SPEED.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Golden is just as good as Reddick. Sign him to a 2-3 year deal and be done with the starters. Cut Kennard.

Make sure we have Gardeck, and then a draft pick....somewhere....could be a potential starter in the 1st or 2nd....or a major depth guy in the 7th...but I would be ok rolling with that group of OLB with the possibility of adding a low price vet during camp

here we go... the slow guy who didn’t make nearly the impact Reddick did is just as good and we have the guy coming off an ACL late in the season to depend on also.

this is the same tired crap people say every time we’re about to lose really promising young talent... the cheaper guy and the injured guy will make up for his loss!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That guy got absolutely owned by Gambo today. Gambo got Watt to admit other teams offered more money and it was other things that brought him here.

National media just got their asses kicked on this entire story

no way... player who just signed makes it seems like the team who signed him did for a bargain? Shocking.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Elite????

he had 14 tfl/sacks in first 8 weeks
and 13.5 tfl/sacks in last 8 weeks

got a ton of strip sacks towards the end as he refined his technique

26 years old

again, playing with dog doo doo in the front 7.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no way... player who just signed makes it seems like the team who signed him did for a bargain? Shocking.

He didn't say bargain, just that others did offer more total dollars.

Ultimately the Cardinals had the combination of elite QB, defensive star power, familiar scheme, and great management (his words). That all meant more than the money

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
That guy got absolutely owned by Gambo today. Gambo got Watt to admit other teams offered more money and it was other things that brought him here.

National media just got their asses kicked on this entire story

Did Gambo ask him about Kyler not listening to future HOF teammates? Seriously I wouldn’t take that guy’s info as gospel.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
he had 14 tfl/sacks in first 8 weeks
and 13.5 tfl/sacks in last 8 weeks

got a ton of strip sacks towards the end as he refined his technique

26 years old

again, playing with dog doo doo in the front 7.
Like I said, he showed potential after 5 years.
You comfortable giving a 5 year/75 mill contract to him? I’m not.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said, he showed potential after 5 years.
You comfortable giving a 5 year/75 mill contract to him? I’m not.
Who said ANYTHING like that? The people who want him back want to treat him similarly to Hump. Transition Tag him and see if he deserves a big contract on a prove it year.

jesus... the projected arguments people make to try and portray others as unreasonable is so typical in this board.